We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
I don’t care if you’re buying Chewy dog food, pet meds, or simply trying to get Chewy’s free shipping — saving money at Chewy.com is a little tricky.
Chewy is an online-only pet store. They don’t have their own loyalty rewards program. They don’t make getting coupons easy (like PetSmart does with their Treat Trail game). And they don’t have a membership service for discounts on things like dog grooming or pet food, like at Petco.
But that doesn’t mean saving at Chewy is impossible. I’ll walk you through all of the everyday savings you can count on and the best sales to hit, plus I’ll point out a few weird policies.
1. Get a 35% Chewy discount on your first autoship order of dog & cat food.
The closest thing that Chewy has to a loyalty discount is their autoship service. Similar to Amazon’s Subscribe & Save, Chewy allows you to set up repeat deliveries of pet food on a schedule you decide.
If you do this, you’ll get a 35% discount on your first order and a 5% discount on all subsequent orders.
We’ve got the best ways to save on pet food delivery.
2. Shop the daily “Deals Under $10” page for 20 – 35% off Chewy dog toys and cat toys.
Chewy runs a slew of daily promotions you can find here. Although most of Chewy’s promos change each day, they always have a collection of deals under $10, and pet toys are among the most common items found there.
If you’re shopping for a small pet, you should always be able to get toys for under $5. Here are some things we’ve found:
Buy 1 Lamb Chop Plush Cat Toy w/ Catnip (reg. $7.39), $4.99 sale price
Free Shipping on orders over $49
Final Price: $4.99
If you need toys for medium or large dogs, then it’s unlikely you’ll find anything for less than $5, but you can still save 35% on toys, like a 2-pack of Chuckit! rubber balls (reg. $13.99):
Buy 1 Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy (reg. $13.99), $8.99
Free shipping on orders over $49
Final Price: $8.99
3. Chewy Pharmacy saves you 20% on your first order of pet meds.
It’s worth using the Chewy Pharmacy at least once, as they’ll take 20% off of your first Chewy Pharmacy order.
Unfortunately, Chewy pet meds are not eligible for that 35% off autoship discount I mentioned above. Instead of 35%, Chewy Pharmacy items are 20% off on your first order.
You still get 5% off all repeat orders if you sign up for autoship, though. Here’s how Chewy’s prices compare to other pet pharmacies:
- 6-Pack Heartgard Plus from Chewy, reg. $63.99 (compare to Petco at $63.99 and PetMeds at $63.99)
- 3-Pack NexGard Chew from Chewy, reg. $68.99 (compare to Walmart Pet RX at $68.99 and PetMeds at reg. price $98.56)
- 1 Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Cats from Chewy, reg. $62.98 (compare to PetSmart at $62.99 and Target at $62.99)
4. Buy Chewy’s store-brand flea and tick medicine — it’s $50 less than name brands.
Chewy has several trademarked brands that you’ll only find on their site.
Although most of Chewy’s exclusive products are priced similarly to name-brand products, Chewy’s flea and tick medicine, Onguard Plus, comes at a serious discount:
Buy 1 Onguard Plus Flea & Tick Spot Treatment for Dogs, 45 – 88 pounds (6 doses), reg $28.49
Free shipping on orders over $49
Final Price: $28.49
Compare to Frontline Plus on Amazon for $77.99
Pro Tip: Keep your dog’s fur clean with these DIY dry dog shampoo tips.
5. Get Chewy free shipping when you spend more than $49.
If you’re trying to buy pet food or cat litter and your total is between $35 and $49, then shop at Petco.com, whose free shipping minimum is $35.
Standard free shipping from Chewy takes 1 – 3 business days.
Also: Petco and PetSmart offer free same-day delivery with DoorDash. Read our other Petco and PetSmart savings tips here.
6. Chewy return policy gives you a WHOLE YEAR to make your returns.
One of the BEST parts about shopping at Chewy is their return policy!
The only thing you can’t return is prescription medications — that’s it. And Chewy’s 365-day return window is much longer than Petco (30 days) and PetSmart (90 days).
To make a return, simply contact Chewy customer service and select “Other Reason” from the Topic drop-down menu. From there, insert your order number, fill in your email, and submit your request.
In the event you choose to get a refund instead of an exchange, Chewy will refund the original form of payment 3 – 5 business days after your return is processed.
We’ve got a great list of the stores with the friendliest return policies.
7. The Chewy Goody Box is almost always a better deal than BarkBox.
The Chewy Goody Box includes two toys and three bags of treats. It’s just like a BarkBox, and the Goody Box comes out to about $10 cheaper than it would be if you bought all of the items separately on Chewy.com.
One Chewy Goody Box for a small dog includes:
- One Kong Cozie Lion Toy, reg. $7.99
- One Kong Classic Dog Toy, reg. $8.99
- One Kong Stuff’N Ziggies Dog Treats, reg. $9.99
- One American Journey Oven-Baked Dog Treats, reg. $3.49
- One American Journey Soft & Chewy Training Bits, reg. $2.99
BarkBox, meanwhile, claims to include $40 worth of treats and toys in each box. But only the 12-month BarkBox subscription (reg. $23) is cheaper than a Goody Box. If you don’t wanna commit to that, stick with Chewy.
8. Chewy doesn’t have a rewards program.
Chewy doesn’t have a rewards program as of March 2022, but we’ve got you covered if you’re looking for the best pet loyalty programs.
And because Chewy doesn’t have their own rewards program or give shoppers easy access to coupons, it’s super important to hit their sales for the best prices. These are the sales you can’t miss. . .
9. Look for 50% off your first autoship order during the Chewy Black Friday sale.
We expect the Chewy Black Friday sale to begin Nov. 23 and run through Cyber Monday (since 2020, their Black Friday sale has gone from the day before Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday).
In 2021, shoppers got access to 50% savings on their first autoship order, which could be an extra $10 in savings if you bought, say, Purina Pro Plan kibble (reg. $61.99).
Some of the other 2021 Chewy Black Friday offerings included:
- BOGO free Kong toys
- 35% off American Journey cat food
- Buy 2, Get One Free Chewy pet supplies (think: leashes, water bowls, and crates)
- 15 – 40% off Chewy cat trees
Wanna go in store for your pets on Black Friday? Don’t forget to check out our favorite PetSmart Black Friday deals here.
10. Expect to save 50% on chews, bones, and more during Chewy’s Blue Box sale during the summer.
Looking for pet supplies such as cat collars, bones, chews, and treats? Then Chewy’s Blue Box sale is the one you need to shop.
The sale typically runs during the third week of June; in 2022, it’ll run June 21-25.
Here’s why you gotta hit this sale. In 2021, Chewy had these deals:
- 50% off Frisco cat collars (reg. $4 – $16)
- 50% off American Journey food and treats
- 50% off all Bones & Chews products
All of the best deals were on Chewy’s store brands. If you shop any of those brands, the Blue Box Sale should be a high priority.
PRO TIP: And if you’re looking to save on pet supplies from Amazon, be read our breakdown of the best deals from their first-ever Amazon Pet Day sale.
11. PetSmart owns Chewy — but there are no crossover benefits.
Weird, right? PetSmart bought Chewy way back in 2017, but for customers, there’s practically zero integration of the companies.
You can’t use PetSmart gift cards at Chewy, nor can you use PetSmart rewards at Chewy. Chewy’s exclusive brands aren’t sold at PetSmart, and this one’s even wilder: Although PetSmart price matches Chewy’s prices, Chewy won’t price match PetSmart.
Wanna save at PetSmart? Use our complete list of PetSmart savings tips to get all of the discounts and savings.
12. Chewy doesn’t price match anyone.
I guess it doesn’t feel personal against PetSmart given that Chewy’s policy is a blanket “no” on price matches.
13. Military veterans don’t get any discounts from Chewy.
I would have thought, with PetSmart providing a military discount, that Chewy would do the same. And I would have been wrong! Chewy provides no military discount.
But hey, at least you can still get a military discount from more than 100 retailers.
14. Get 4% cashback on all Chewy purchases when you shop with Ibotta.
Ibotta is a cashback app that gives you a bunch of “rebate” offers to help you save on just about anything you buy from participating stores. And for Chewy, you can get as much as 4% cashback!
Here are some current Ibotta offers at Chewy:
- $5 back on Go! Solutions dry cat food (reg. $19.99 – $69.99)
- $5 back on Go! Solutions dry dog food (reg. $14.99 – $64.99)
If you buy anything else (except gift cards) from Chewy, Ibotta will still get you 4% cashback.
Oh, and we’ve got lots more to tell you about how to use Ibotta.
I hope this helps you save money at Chewy (and spoil your pets). Any questions? Drop ’em in the comments below. Thanks for reading!