We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
If you liked getting freebies with the Starbucks for Life game, there’s more where that came from. Every summer, the Mermaid rolls out the Starbucks Summer Game — an annual tradition that gives customers gift cards, Stars (rewards points), and more. It’s a tradition that can have you saving on your future Starbucks order. (And the more you play, the better.)
While we’re all waiting for Starbucks to release details about the 2023 summer game, there’s plenty we do know about what they’ve done in previous years that’ll help us know what to expect this go-around.
With the changes in the Starbucks Rewards program, we’ll take any freebie we can get to get closer to free Starbucks. Here’s how you can take advantage of the Starbucks Summer Game and get closer to free coffee:
How do I play the Starbucks Summer Game?
You can find the Starbucks Summer Game through the Starbucks app or the Starbucks Summer Game website. You’ll need to be a member of the Starbucks Rewards program to play. Every day, you get at least two chances to get Stars and Starbucks gift cards. All you have to do is click the graphic to get your prize.
In 2022 the game ran between May 16 and June 17. That means there were 33 chances to get prizes. We expect the promotion in 2023 to last around the same amount of time.
Here’s how long the promotion lasted in the past:
- 2021: July 21 – Aug. 22
- 2020: July 21 – Aug. 23
- 2019: Aug. 7 – Aug. 13
- 2018: Aug. 14 – Sept. 10
What can I get from the Starbucks Summer Game?
In 2022 most people won Starbucks Stars and gift cards, but there were four lucky winners who ended up with a 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge (estimated retail value of $84,000).
Here were the other prizes available in 2022:
- $100 Starbucks gift cards (1,000 possible winners)
- $75 Starbucks gift cards (1,000 possible winners)
- $50 Starbucks gift cards (2,000 possible winners)
- $25 Starbucks gift cards (8,000 possible winners)
- $10 Starbucks gift cards (10,000 possible winners)
- 300 bonus Stars (15,000 possible winners)
- $5 Starbucks gift cards (10,000 possible winners)
- 150 bonus Stars (24,000 possible winners)
- 50 bonus Stars (28,500 possible winners)
- 25 bonus Stars (1,150,000 possible winners)
- 10 bonus Stars (1,200,000 possible winners)
- 5 bonus Stars (2,600,000 possible winners)
Can I get more plays on the Starbucks Summer Game?
In 2022, by default you got two free chances to play the Starbucks Summer Games — but you can get more plays by completing tasks from Starbucks. This can range from ordering specific items to redeeming your Stars. Here’s how you could earn an additional play in 2022:
- Try a non-dairy option when you use the rewards app
- Earn 25 Stars
- Earn 50 Stars
- Redeem 50 Stars
- Order ahead on the Starbucks app
- Order ahead five times on the Starbucks app
- Buy two iced drinks in one order
- Load your Starbucks card
If you don’t want to use your Stars or spend more at Starbucks to get additional plays, there were two more ways to get plays without touching your wallet:
- Fill out the survey at the bottom of the Summer Game website with the “To enter without making a purchase, click here” link.
- Reach Level 4 in the skill game they created. Last year it was a game where you tried to get rid of shapes on a board.