Just ahead of summer 2023 (and prime grilling season), about 20 top Walmart summer groceries got price drops, all thanks to limited-time Walmart rollbacks.
In an attempt to beat inflation, all your classic cookout items were on sale at Walmart — like hamburgers, hot dogs, condiments, coleslaw, chips, cookies, sodas, and more. Most were priced lower than they were in 2022 (just like how Aldi dropped prices on summer food items in 2023).
These summer grocery rollbacks at Walmart were available online and in stores for Walmart grocery delivery and Walmart pickup. But these low prices on summer staples had an expiration date — these rollbacks only lasted through July 15, 2023.
So will Walmart summer groceries get rollbacks again in 2024? It may be too early to tell, but while we wait to hear, here’s what to know about the grocery rollbacks from 2023:
In 2023, Walmart summer groceries were cheaper than the previous year from May 23 – July 15.
No, it wasn’t just nostalgia. Walmart dropped a slew of rollbacks on summer food staples in May 2023, making them even cheaper than they were in 2022. The catch? These rollbacks were only available through July 15, 2023. So if you had a cookout planned for Memorial Day or The Fourth of July, your savings were all set. But after July 15, prices went back to normal.
Here’s the full list of rollbacks for Walmart summer groceries in 2023 (plus, what they cost in 2022):
- Wonder Hot Dog Buns, 8 ct – $2.47 ($2.50 last year)
- Oscar Mayer Hot Dogs, 8 ct – $2.50 ($2.69 last year)
- Wonder Hamburger Buns, 8 ct, Qty 2 – $4.94 ($5.00 last year)
- Sam’s Choice Angus Frozen Patty, 12 ct – $17.42 ($17.18 last year)
- Great Value American Cheese Product, 16 ct – $1.98 ($1.98 last year)
- Great Value Bacon, 16 oz – $4.24 ($4.37 last year)
- Slicing Tomatoes, 2lbs – $3.56 ($3.96 last year)
- Romaine Hearts, 3 ct – $2.74 ($2.81 last year)
- Great Value Ketchup, 38 oz – $1.50 ($1.54 last year)
- Great Value Mayonnaise, 18 fl oz – $2.48 ($2.37 last year)
- Great Value Yellow Mustard, 20 oz – $0.98 ($0.98 last year)
- Suddenly Salad Classic Pasta, 7.75 oz – $1.96 ($2.43 last year)
- Freshness Guaranteed Coleslaw, 30 oz – $3.97 ($3.66 last year)
- Bush’s Baked Beans, 28 oz, Qty 2 – $3.96 ($4.94 last year)
- Fresh Corn on the Cob, 4 ct – $3.48 ($4.46 last year)
- Lay’s Potato Chips, 8 oz – $2.76 ($3.00 last year)
- Capri Sun Fruit Punch, 10 ct, 6 fl oz – $2.98 ($2.98 last year)
- Pepsi Cola Soda Pop, 16.9 fl oz, 12 ct – $5.72 ($6.34 last year)
Related: These top Walmart summer finds are worth adding to your list, too.
You could grab a full summer cookout for six people for as low as $70, depending on where you live.
Walmart grocery prices vary by location, but in the summer of 2023, we saw total costs between $70 and $94 for a cookout that serves six people. That’s what you’d pay for everything on Walmart’s summer cookout list, which consisted of 21 different items like chips, soda, watermelon, cookies, corn, coleslaw, and pasta salad.
An easy way to grab all these deals was to shop online through Walmart’s Summer Grilling page. There, you could choose your serving size and add all the items to your cart at once, whether for pickup or delivery.
Walmart lets you buy the full summer cookout grouping (i.e. all the summer groceries with rollback prices) in servings of 6, 12, 24, or 36, depending on how many mouths you planned to feed.
Here’s what you’d pay for each serving size (based on the lowest prices we saw in 2023):
- 6 Servings = $70.16 ($11.69 per serving)
- 12 Servings = $82.18 ($6.85 per serving)
- 24 Servings = $154.63 ($6.44 per serving)
- 36 Servings = $234.34 ($6.51 per serving)
Don’t need everything on Walmart’s summer cookout list? No problem. You can remove it from your cart to cut down on your total cost.
TIP: If you have a coupon stash that could save you even more, absolutely head to the store. You can use the Walmart app to navigate all the items as you shop. Open the app and type “grilling savings” into the search bar. Then tap the grill icon that says “Cookout in just 1 click”.
Need a new grill for your summer cookout? Walmart will have rollbacks on those, too.
Beyond the rollbacks on summer food staples, Walmart usually has grill deals around the same time, and they don’t disappoint. You’ll find the lowest prices through Memorial Day, but Walmart will still have rollbacks on select grills after that. These are some of the best grill deals we saw at Walmart alongside the summer grocery rollbacks:
- Expert Grill 14.5″ Portable Charcoal Grill — $17.97 (reg. $19.97)
- Coleman Portable Sportster 1-Burner Propane Grill — $129 (reg. $149.99)
- Blackstone Adventure Ready 2-Burner 28″ Griddle Cooking Station — $197 (reg. $227)
Related: We rounded up a full list of the best Memorial Day grill sales to look for.
And don’t miss Walmart’s Memorial Day deals on patio furniture, outdoor decor, games, clothing, and more.
By happy chance, the Walmart Memorial Day Sale happened alongside all these summer rollbacks in 2023. That means you can score up to 50% off clothing, patio furniture, outdoor games, and so much more at Walmart. Deals started early in 2023, but expect bigger savings at the start of Memorial Day weekend.