We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
There’s a saying, “Lips without lipstick are like cakes without frosting.” One is always better with the other. Here are 15 fabulous lipstick hacks that will keep your lips in shape, your lipstick lasting longer, and you looking radiant.
1. Transform old blush or eye shadow into lipgloss by adding it to clear lipgloss.
2. Dust lips with translucent powder for lasting power.
Apply lipstick then hold a tissue over your mouth and brush it with some translucent powder. A little bit of powder will transfer through the tissue and lock in your color.
3. Reshape and refrigerate old lipstick.
One quick and easy way to fix a broken tube of lipstick is to carefully reform and repack it right in the tube. Shape it with your fingers and then throw it in the fridge for a day. It will reset and be as good as new.
RELATED: 22 Freaking Clever Ways to Use Perfume Samples
4. Apply lipstick with a fluffy eye shadow brush for a stained look.
5. Exfoliate chapped lips with an old, clean mascara wand and lip balm before putting on lipstick.
6. Cut lipstick tips off and store in a pill box while traveling.
This will save you from lugging around a bunch of different lipstick tubes.
7. Use your favorite lipstick to color your cheeks.
Use a color that works with your skin’s pigmentation and blend well, just like you would cream blush.
8. Turn old lipstick into a tinted lip balm.
For nearly-empty tubes of lipstick, scrape out what’s left, add petroleum jelly, and heat in a microwave until melted. Stir the petroleum jelly and lip color until you get an even gloss, and pour into a small container. Set the gloss in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes and apply with a lip brush.
9. Apply red lipstick with a brush for the best precision.
10. Draw an X in the center of your upper lip to create the perfect Cupid’s bow.
Once you’ve done this, outline the rest of the lip with the liner so your matching lipstick has something to latch on to.
11. Create a cream blush with old lip color and petroleum jelly.
Mix an old lipstick with a bit of petroleum jelly to subdue the color and then simply dab it on your cheeks. You’ll have a smooth and creamy, inexpensive blush in a color you know you already like.
12. Blot your lips with a tissue between applications so the color lasts longer.
This will remove excess oil from the first application, allowing the second one to grip better and therefore last longer.
13. Make lips appear larger by covering with concealer.
Once concealer is in place, trace your natural lip line with a liner pencil to make them appear larger. Fill in lips with the pencil for a matte look, or finish with a gloss.
14. Keep lipstick off your teeth by sticking a finger in your mouth and pulling it out.