We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
1. Dust paintings (or stucco) with bread heels.
If you leave crumbs behind in the process, use a paint brush to brush them off.
2. Clean leather furniture with banana peels.
The texture and oils in banana peels act as a mild abrasive and polish. Using a microfiber cloth, wipe away any remaining residue.
3. Remove water stains from metal with orange peels.
Rub orange peels directly onto stainless steel faucets and appliances. The citric acid and the oils in the orange peels create a streak-free finish.
4. Condition wood surfaces with mayo.
The oil in mayonnaise helps moisturize solid wood tabletops to restore moisture and remove water stains.
5. Clean windows with vinegar.
6. Freshen up the fridge with coffee grounds.
Pour coffee (stale coffee works too) into a clean sock, tie off the end, and toss it in your fridge.
7. Clean the toilet with Coke or Pepsi.
8. Disinfect the kitchen with dry white wine.
The alcohol, combined with the acidity, helps remove stains and kill germs.
Warning: the acidity can damage some countertops like granite.
9. Make a car smell good with pineapple skins.
Collect the scraps from one or several pineapples and place them in a plastic bag. Leave the bag on the dashboard, or another place exposed to plenty of sun during the day. After a couple of weeks, the pineapple pieces will shrink and dry out, and your car will smell like a fruit cocktail.
10. Scrub the tub with half a grapefruit dipped in salt.
11. Get rid of mold and mildew with vodka.
Spritz it on mildew-y bathtub caulking, stains, even eyeglasses and let sit for 15 minutes. Scrub with an old toothbrush.
12. Season cast iron pans with butter wrappers.
13. Shine windows with black tea.
Brew a batch of strong black tea by pouring about 8 ounces of boiling water into a bowl with 3 tea bags. Let steep until it’s completely cooled. Then, pour it into a spray bottle and set to work. The tannic acid in black tea dissolves dirt and grease.
14. Freshen carpets with cornstarch.
Sprinkle cornstarch on carpet. Leave for 30 minutes and then vacuum.
15. Clean odd-shaped vases and bottles with rice.
Mix uncooked rice with water. Swish it around and you’ve used the power of agitation and scrubbing, my friends.