We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
When you have a small kitchen it’s essential to stay organized in order to cut the clutter. Here are 20 creative ways to keep your kitchen free of chaos and working to your advantage.
1. Add shelf space on top of an existing cabinet.
Find a piece of wood that fits the space and paint it. You don’t even need to nail anything together; simply use wine racks to prop up the shelf, or books work great, too.
2. Store baking sheets in metal file holders.
3. Organize cleaning supplies on a lazy susan under the sink.
4. Hang a sturdy curtain rod over a window and attach pots with S hooks.
5. Ditch the knife block for a magnetic knife strip.
Hanging knives from the wall gives you so much more counter space.
6. Attach jars filled with kitchen staples to the bottoms of hanging cabinets.
First, decide where you want the jars to hang. Drill screws through the lids into the bottom of your cupboard. These instructions show how easy it is to do. Not only is it easy, but it’s cost-effective too.
7. Glue magnets to spice jars or containers and stick them to the sides of a refrigerator.
You can make your own spice holders by gluing magnets to baby jar lids, or you can buy containers with magnets already attached and ready to go. Amazon sells a set of three for under $7.
8. Turn tension rods into dividers.
9. Use adhesive hooks to hang pot lids inside cabinet doors.
All you need are adhesive hooks and a pencil. Follow these directions for a well-organized way to store your pan lids.
10. Hang kitchen items from a pegboard.
Hang a colorfully painted pegboard to a wall, and use S hooks to attach pots, pans, colanders, and utensils.
11. Fill empty walls with shelving.
Be creative with empty wall space. In addition to shelves, put up rods and use S hooks to hang kitchen items.
12. Install rods above counters to hang baskets.
Fill the baskets with anything that you typically keep on the counter. To get started you’ll need rod rails, brackets, wire baskets, and caddies. These easy instructions offer insight on how to put it all together.
13. Use mesh shelves inside cabinets.
You can buy these mesh shelves on Amazon for less than $15 each.
14. Hang shelves on the sides of cabinets.
These $15 racks work well.
15. Keep cleaning supplies under the sink with a tension rod.
16. Store cooking utensils in decorated mason jars on the counter.
17. Hang cooking utensils from hooks inside a cabinet.
18. Keep plastic bags in empty tissue boxes.
19. Invest in a cart with wheels for extra counter space.
Its mobility also allows you to put it wherever you want when you don’t need it.