It doesn’t have to be a 4th of July party for you to celebrate America. Maybe you’re throwing a welcome home party for your favorite soldier?
Heck, you can throw a red, white and blue patriotic party whenever you gosh darn feel like it.
Take a look at these 22 ways to throw an epic America party:
1. Make firecracker dogs.
You’ll need breadstick dough, hot dogs, thick slices of cheese, skewers and a star-shaped cookie cutter.
Stick all the skewers through the length of the hot dog and leave an inch or so exposed at the top. Start wrapping the dough around the hot dog until you’ve reached the top. Make sure to read the cooking instructions for the dough, and bake accordingly.
Use a cookie cutter to cut out the cheese stars, and once the hot dogs are done baking and have cooled, stick the star through the skewer on top.
2. Buy red, white and blue tortilla chips to serve with salsa and guacamole.
3. Use cupcake liners to cover drinks.
Score cupcake liners at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon, of course.
4. Use a cookie cutter to create watermelon stars, freeze, and use them as ice.
Kool-Aid or a blue sports drink such as Gatorade works well to keep the beverage looking patriotic!
5. Make All-American burgers.
Just buy American flag picks, or make them yourself!
6. Make 4th of July fruit skewers with watermelon and blueberries.
7. Freeze blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries in ice cube trays to chill drinks.
8. Make an American flag meat and cheese tray.
9. Dip ice cream sandwiches in red, white, and blue sprinkles.
If you want to make them ahead of time, just store the sandwiches on a cookie sheet in the freezer.
10. Wrap silverware in dollar store bandanas.
The dollar store has all sorts of red, white and blue decor (right now — so hurry), and grab some bandanas!
11. Use old wine bottles to make DIY tiki torches.
Fill the bottom of a clean wine bottle with decorative marbles or rocks. Then wrap thread seal tape around the brass mounts that come with your wine bottle tiki torch kit to create a snug fit between the mount and the mouth of the bottle. Fill your bottle with tiki torch fuel, insert your wick, and light!
Check out even more ingenious wine bottle DIYs that are easier than you think.
12. Create lawn stars with marking chalk and cardboard.
13. Tie red and blue bandanas together for a festive table runner.
14. Add food coloring to a vase of flowers for an easy centerpiece.
15. Keep drinks cold with frozen water balloons.
When the balloons are completely defrosted, have a water balloon fight!
16. Throw darts at balloons filled with small candies to keep kids entertained.
Before you blow up the balloons, put small pieces of wrapped candy in them. Blow up and attach to a board.
Let the kids (carefully) throw darts at the balloons and claim their prize!
17. Play Twister on the grass by creating circles with marking paint.
Marking chalk spray paint in red, yellow, blue, and green works great (or choose red, white and blue!). Make your own spinner following these easy instructions, or print one off online then use a pen to spin.
18. Have kids make their own 4th of July handprint shirts.
19. Make an all-American party playlist.
Make sure to include some of the best America-themed songs:
- American Woman – Lenny Kravitz
- Only in America – Brooks and Dunn
- Party in the USA – Miley Cyrus
- Firework – Katy Perry
- American Girl – Tom Petty
- Made in America – Toby Keith
- Born in the USA – Bruce Springstein
20. Play giant outdoor Scrabble by printing or painting letters on cardboard squares.
Paint or draw letters on cardboard pieces, and use up the entire yard if you want. Choose patriotic colors on the cardboard to keep your theme going strong.
21. Play bean bag toss with decorated cans and socks filled with rice.
Fill a couple of small socks with rice, and secure the ends with rubber bands and patriotic ribbon. Then, cover six empty and cleaned 15-ounce cans with red, white, and blue tape, making sure the tape covers any sharp edges.
Set cans up in a pyramid, and have kids stand several feet away. Whoever knocks down all the cans within two tries wins!