We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
We’ve collected all the best ways to use cheap ice cube trays to make your life easier.
From kids’ toys to home organization, ice cube trays are way more useful than you think!
1. Make your own sidewalk chalk with cornstarch, food coloring and water.
Mix equal parts cornstarch and water, then pour the mixture into an ice cube tray and add several drops of food coloring to each compartment.
Stir the color into the mixture. The more food coloring you use, the more vibrant your colors will be.
2. Freeze fresh herbs in butter or olive oil.
When you’re ready to cook with the herbs, just toss a frozen cube in.
3. Get perfect portions of homemade baby food.
Freeze homemade baby food purees in a tray and defrost as needed. Each cube holds one ounce of baby food.
4. Chill your wine without watering it down.
Freeze Sangria or wine in ice cube trays, and toss a cube in when you need a chilled beverage.
5. Use silicone ice trays to make Jello treats in fun shapes.
Prepare an ice cube tray by first spraying it with cooking spray. Then, using a paper towel, blot up any spray pooling at the bottom. Make the Jello as directed on the package.
6. Make hot chocolate stir sticks for gifts or a holiday party.
Melt your favorite chocolate and spoon it into an ice cube tray. Allow the chocolate to harden slightly, then insert a stick followed by mini marshmallows, crushed peppermint or peanut butter cups. Place the tray in the fridge for 30 – 45 minutes or until the chocolate hardens.
If your stir sticks don’t release easily, place the whole tray in a quarter inch of hot water for a few seconds. (Don’t overdo it — a few seconds is all it takes.)
Remove the stick and you’re cocoa ready!
7. Create your own vapor rub shower melts.
- An ice cube tray
- 3 Tbsp vapor rub
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- A mixing bowl
- Food coloring (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. If you need more water, add more one spoonful at a time.
Fill an ice cube tray, packing each cube tightly. Leave the melts to harden on your counter.
When you’re ready to use, place a melt into a small bowl in your shower. (The bowl will prevent the floor of your shower from becoming slick.) As it melts, the warm water will help release soothing vapors.
8. Use an ice cube tray as a paint palette.
9. Or, use it as a snack tray for kids.
10. Organize small office and craft supplies.
11. Keep your washi tape collection organized.
12. Make nails, screws, bolts and other hardware easily accessible.
To prevent your hardware from spilling when not in use, cover the tray with cling wrap.
13. Make morning routines easier by organizing hair clips and ties.
14. Freshen your garbage disposal with lemon and vinegar cubes.
15. Soothe sunburns by freezing aloe vera gel into cubes.
16. Make easy DIY dishwashing tabs.
You can make laundry detergent tabs pretty easily too! Check out this article for directions.
17. Sort and organize earrings.
18. Freeze coffee and cream to avoid watering down iced coffee.
19. Make party ice by freezing cranberries or other fruit in soda or water.
20. Make eggs last longer by freezing them.
Get more details on freezing eggs.
UP NEXT: 18 Easy DIY Gifts Under $5