One of my favorite sayings is, "It's the little things.” This isn't just because I’m a single gal earning her own way in the world, and always watching my pennies. I also feel it’s really true! In today's culture, it’s easy to over-shop, overspend and just plain overdo! But sometimes all that’s needed to give your home a fresh new look is attention to the tiny details. The changes you make may not cost you a lot, but they really can make all the difference in how each room in your home looks and feels. Try these seven super cheap ideas to give each room in your home a fresh new look!
1. Buy a new set of towels and linens
This great cheap facelift tip works equally well in the bedroom, kitchen and bathroom. Often, heavily used towels and linens really need replacing more frequently anyway, and there are lots of ways to find colorful, great-looking replacements on the cheap. Shop here to save a bundle on new towels:
- Overstock: Overstock offers beautiful luxury towel sets—many at more than 50% off retail.
- Dollar General: Dollar General is currently offering full-size towels for as low as $3.50 online!
- Walmart: One of Walmart's current towel sets features 10 pieces for $11!
- Cost Plus World Market: Find beautiful, colorful and unique towels starting at $9.99.
2. Make everything shine (and sell the rest for extra cash)
Sometimes all that’s really needed is a good session of spring cleaning—combined with a thorough airing out. It also gives you a chance to see what you've got so you can resell, recycle or donate what no longer works for you. As you clean, create a "to sell" pile, then use these resources to help you make extra cash to afford your "wish list" home updates!
- Resource: Clean the Cash Out of Your Closet by Selling Clothes Online
- Resource: Sell Baby Items for Extra Cash
- Resource: How to Sell Your Used Ink Cartridges
- Resource: Make Cash and Get the Best Price for Selling Your Books with Bookscouter
- Resource: Trade in Your Old Electronics for Cash
3. Move things around
I do this frequently—sometimes I just discover a piece of art or a table works better in one room than another. Or I might change the wall art or the area rug in one room and all of a sudden the end table in my office is a perfect choice for my living room.
- Ideas to try: Move around throws and throw pillows, lamps, wall art and accent tables to achieve a new look.
4. Change your wall art
With online resources like Shutterfly and Print Studio, and craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby, it’s easy to spruce up or change out your wall art on a dime.
- Shutterfly: Sign up for free and get 50 free 4×6 prints plus 40% off everything.
- Print Studio: Create framed prints, posters, calendars, fridge magnets and even coffee table photo books for cheap!
- Michaels: Right now Michaels has no less than six online coupons posted on the home page—and you can view the weekly ad and online deals for more.
- Hobby Lobby: Hobby Lobby sends out weekly coupons and there’s always a great sale in their weekly ad.
5. Go discount on "ambiance-enhancing" accents
Hand soap, lotion, candles and body or hair products don't have to cost a fortune to provide that "welcome home" ambiance family and friends love.
Here are two ways to save on home ambiance:
- Shop T.J.Maxx and Marshall's for your candles and oil stick scents (great for the bathroom!). I recently found my favorite candles at Marshall's for $5.99 each (most candles the same size and fragrance would run me $25—even on Amazon!). Needless to say, I bought out the store—I got 10 beautiful candles for $60!
- Buy Dr. Bronner's multi-purpose castile soap. I love this soap—it’s fragrant, luxurious, and you can use it for everything! Dr. Bronner's soap also doubles as shampoo, body wash, floor and counter cleaner, and there’s a baby-safe version as well. Dr. Bronner is running a 15% off sale right now online.
6. Swap or trade instead of buy
Perhaps you really want to update your living room with a new set of end table lamps, but it isn't in your budget at the moment. If you have a few items you no longer use, you can swap or trade for the end table lamps you need!
- Resource: Swap Your Way to Savings with These 8 Great Sites
- Resource: How to Score Free Stuff with SwapMamas
- Resource: How to Get Anything for Free with Freecycle
7. Repaint and update window treatments
A fresh coat of paint can work wonders for pennies—even repainting a single wall can totally change how a room looks and feels. As well, changing up the window treatments (for instance, trading curtains for blinds, or replacing traditional mini-blinds with Roman shades) can do the same.