If you’re looking to cut down on your monthly cat-parent costs, then finding cheap cat litter is a must.
Whether your feline prefers to take care of business on clumping cat litter or non-clumping cat litter, I crunched the numbers to make sure your cat’s potty breaks don’t break your bank.
1. First, always calculate the price per pound when shopping for cheap cat litter.
The first step to saving money on cheap cat litter is to calculate prices based off of the price per pound.
All you have to do is divide the sticker price by the weight listed on the cat litter package (it’s usually near the lower corners on the front of the bag or box).
See this week’s best cat litter deals here.
2. The cheapest cat litter is from Blain’s Farm & Fleet at $0.19/lb.
The most affordable cat litter is always non-clumping, which means it won’t naturally clump around your cat’s, um, presents.
And the best price I’ve seen is at Blain’s Farm & Fleet, where they sell a 40-lb bag of non-clumping cat litter (reg. $7.49) for the low price of $0.19/lb.
In general, non-clumping cat litter is cheaper than the clumping kind, and non-clumping cat litter requires more frequent cleaning (at least once per week).
Fun fact: Cat poop starts out as cat food — and we can help you save on that, too. Check out our breakdown of how to save on cat food.
3. Chewy, Petco & PetSmart all offer 35% off your first cat litter delivery order.
Chewy, Petco, and PetSmart all offer 35% off your first order, and 5% off all subsequent orders. Like with Amazon’s Subscribe & Save, each retailer allows you to set up repeat deliveries of pet food on a schedule you decide.
There’s really only one main difference among the three retailers: Petco has the cheapest free shipping minimum of the three stores at $35.
Cat litter isn’t the only thing you can save money on with automated delivery; check out our best pet food delivery tips here.
4. The best cheap cat litter sale is Chewy’s Black Friday sale — they’ve offered 50% off your first repeat delivery order.
The most consistent sale we see on cat litter is Black Friday, and in 2021 they offered 50% off customers’ first autoship cat litter purchase from Chewy.
We used that deal to get clumping Tidy Cats cat litter (reg. $0.52/lb from Chewy) for only $0.28/lb.
Buy 1 40-lb Bag Tidy Cats Clumping Cat Litter, $22.49 regular price
Sign up for repeat deliveries and save 50%
Final Price: $11.25 ($0.28 per pound)
The best part? You could cancel this order at any time after receiving your cat litter.
And if you’re shopping for your pet during the holidays, you’ll need our guide to PetSmart’s best Black Friday deals.
5. Join Petco Vital Care for 20% off all cat litter purchases.
Petco’s Vital Care is a subscription that costs $19.99 per month and provides members with several benefits, including a 20% discount on every single cat litter purchase and three $5 Petco coupons each month.
With Petco Vital Care, you can stack your 20% cat litter discount and as many of those $5 coupons as you want (as long as the total is above $0). You can use this discount to get World’s Best Clumping Cat Litter (reg. $1.25/lb) for $0.46/lb:
Buy 1 World’s Best Clumping Cat Litter, 28 Pounds, reg. $34.99
Apply 20% Petco Vital Care discount
Use three $5 Petco coupons
Free in-store pickup
Final Price: $13 ($0.46/lb)
Make your Petco cat litter purchases in stores and skip their $5.99 shipping fees. For more info on how to use Petco Vital Care, we’ve dedicated a full article to this.
6. Cheap, non-clumping cat litter should never cost more than $0.30/lb.
Even though everyday prices of non-clumping cat litter are more affordable than their clumping counterparts, the price per pound on name brands can still exceed $1.
We’re not about that. I aim for $0.30/lb, which I can find from a few retailers — even on brand-name items like Purina Tidy Cats litter.
Here are the best prices on the top US cat litter brands, and where to find them:
- Non-Clumping cat litter, from Blain’s Farm & Fleet for $0.19/lb
- Great Choice non-clumping cat litter, from PetSmart for $0.22/lb
- Tidy Cats non-clumping cat litter, from PetSmart for $0.30/lb
- Tidy Cats non-clumping cat litter, from Sam’s Club for $0.30/lb
- Fresh Step non-clumping cat litter, from Petco for $0.50/lb
- Feline Pine non-clumping cat litter, from Amazon for $0.78/lb
7. And never pay more than $0.45/lb for clumping cat litter.
It’s a little bit tougher to get clumping cat litter for $0.45/lb or less, but you can if you pair the strategies I outlined above with low prices included here:
- Blain’s Farm & Fleet clumping cat litter, from Blain’s Farm & Fleet for $0.37/lb
- Tidy Cats clumping cat litter, from Sam’s Club for $0.41/lb
- So Phresh clumping cat litter, from Petco for $0.43/lb
- Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat clumping cat litter, from Walmart for $0.50/lb
- Fresh Step clumping cat litter, from Target for $0.62/lb
- Arm & Hammer clumping cat litter, from PetSmart for $0.71/lb
- World’s Best clumping cat litter, from Target for $1.04/lb
8. How often should you change cat litter?
The answer to this depends on a few things:
- What kind of cat litter you’re using (think: is it clumping or non-clumping)
- How many cats you have
Assuming you scoop your litter box daily and have one cat per litter box, non-clumping cat litter should be changed once per week. Clumping litter, on the other hand, only needs to be changed once per month.
9. Can you flush cat litter?
Generally, it’s not recommended, because — depending on the size of your pipes — cat litter could get stuck in the pipes and cause a backup.
Some cat litter brands, like World’s Best, are flushable. But it’s not recommended to flush your litter down the toilet.
10. Can cats share a litter box?
When I had more than one cat, they both shared the same litter box, and it worked out fine. We went through a lot more kitty litter, but it worked.
There are plenty of experts out there who say that cats are more likely to do their business outside of the litter box if they have to share, because the litter box gets dirtier with multiple cats, and because they get territorial.
If you have any questions about where to find cheap cat litter, let me know in the comments below! Thanks for reading.