So you’ve mastered the art of saving money on your purchases, but what about actually getting cash back after a purchase?
There are plenty of apps and websites that make it almost too easy to earn money back.
Here are a few of my favorites that’ll give you the most bang for your buck:
1. Use Earny to get money back when something you purchased goes on sale.
Earny scans receipts in your email inbox and searches for price drops on any item that went on sale after you purchased it.
Then, it automatically requests a price difference refund so you don’t have to.
Earny takes a 25% commission off the price difference, but you get to keep the rest (and you didn’t have to lift a finger!)
2. Use Trim to earn cash back on grocery, fuel and restaurant purchases.
Trim offers the chance to earn money every time you buy groceries, dine out, or fuel up.
Just register your Visa credit or debit card, and use your card normally. For a limited time, you’ll earn $1 anytime you spend over $5.
Trim also searches your Amazon order history for price decreases. If the claim is successful, you’ll get a refund for the price difference.
3. Paribus pays you when Amazon and Walmart deliveries are late.
A late delivery from Amazon Prime or Walmart can mean cash in your pocket after you sign up for Paribus.
It also watches for price reductions (from Target, Kohl’s, Costco, and more) to get you a refund if items you purchased went on sale shortly after.
4. Shop your favorite brands through TopCashback to earn money back.
Sign up for a free TopCashback account, and simply shop at your favorite stores through their site.
Click on the store links, and shop online at Amazon, Macy’s, Babies R Us, The Children’s Place, and thousands more to earn a percentage of your purchase price back.
5. Earn money by clicking through Ebates first when you shop online.
Just like with TopCashback, earn money by simply clicking through Ebates when you’re shopping at thousands of retailers online. Think of it as an online shopping portal that saves you big bucks.
Download the widget on your desktop, and an Ebates window will pop up to notify you when you’re shopping on a site that offers a cash-back rebate.
It’s super handy, and you’ll never forget to score a deal.
Get 4% cash back at Petco, 2% cash back at Bed, Bath & Beyond, and 2% at World Market.
Sign up now, and get a $10 welcome bonus.
6. Earn gift cards or cash for every dollar you spend using Swagbucks.
Earn one Swagbuck for every dollar you spend while shopping online. Each Swagbuck is equal to 1% cash back and can be cashed in for gift cards or Paypal deposits.
Plus, save money at the same time by using Swagbucks coupons on your purchases! You’ll earn 10 Swagbucks for every coupon you redeem at the grocery store.
7. Pay off your student loans by shopping online through Upromise.
Upromise is designed to help ease the stress of education costs by transferring earned money to college savings plans and existing student loans.
Just as with Ebates and TopCashback, sign in to your free Upromise account and simply click on the store’s link to shop through their site.
If you aren’t paying college costs, you can simply request a check instead.
8. Get 5% cash back on groceries when you use a Chase Freedom credit card.
Why settle for 1% cash back when these cards offer more?
- Chase Freedom: Offers a rotating 5% cash back calendar which includes gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Plus unlimited 1% cash back on everything else.
- American Express Blue Cash: Offers up to 5% cash back at supermarkets, gas stations, and drugstores, with 1% cash back on other purchases.
- Discover It: Offers 5% cash back when used on Amazon, restaurants, home improvement stores, and ground transportation during different times throughout the year.
- Bank of America: Offers 3% cash back on gas, 2% on grocery stores, and 1% on other purchases.
- Citi Double Cash Card: Offers 1% cash back on purchases, plus another 1% when you pay your bill in full.
9. Use Ibotta to get instant rebates on grocery, restaurant, or online purchases.
All it takes is sending in a photo of your receipt and scanning the barcode of whatever you bought to earn money after your purchase.
Plus, most of these rebate apps offer a $5-$11 sign-up bonus after you redeem your first rebate!!
- Ibotta (I earn about $500/year off this one!)
- BerryCart (excellent for organic food lovers!)
Intrigued? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Rebate Apps.
It’s not quite cash, but free gift cards are the next best thing.
These stores offer a bonus incentive for making purchases:
- Kohl’s Cash: Earn $10 for every $50 purchase.
- Macy’s Money: Get $5 for every $25 you spend.
- DSW: Earn 1 point for every dollar spent, and get a $10 reward once you reach 1,500 points.
- AutoZone: Spend $20 on five purchases and get a $20 reward added to your rewards member card.
- Petco: Earn $5 for every $100 you spend as a rewards member.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: Earn points for every $1 spent, and get $10 once you hit $100.
11. Get a refund from your credit card if your purchase goes on sale within 60-90 days.
Bought something and later realized it went on sale for a cheaper price? Let your credit card company do the dirty work for you.
- Citi Cards: Citi searches for a lower price for 60 days and sends you the difference.
- Discover: Discover covers the difference if you find a better price for 90 days after the purchase.
- Mastercard: Mastercard refunds the cost difference if you find a lower price in 60 days.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: This card provides a reimbursement for lower prices for 90 days.