You may pay hundreds, maybe even thousands on beauty treatments throughout your lifetime.
But did you know that there are DIY beauty treatment hacks that will save you serious cash?
Here are 15 tips from an esthetician (that actually work!) And you should probably start today:
Thicken and Extend Eyelashes
1. Skip $200 eyelash extensions and use castor oil for lash growth.
On average, eyelash extensions can cost anywhere from $150-$300, depending on where you go.
Use castor oil to replace expensive serums and eyelash extensions.
- Clean your face and remove any eye makeup.
- Take a clean eyelash brush and slowly dip it into the castor oil.
- Use the brush to carefully apply the oil onto your eyelashes.
It’s best to do this at night before bed. In the morning, use makeup remover to remove the oil from your lashes.
2. Apply baby powder to your lashes between applications of mascara to save $7-$26.
You can have noticeably thicker lashes without the help of expensive mascaras in a few simple steps:
- Use an eyelash curler on your lashes.
- Apply one coat of mascara.
- Shake baby powder into your palm.
- Use a Q-tip to apply powder to both top and bottom of your lashes (lashes should be covered and look white).
- Apply another coat (or two) of mascara.
Voila! Thicker lashes at home by using something you already have.
3. Place medical tape on your wrinkles at night to save $300-$1,000 on Botox.
Worried about deepening that line between your brows? Put medical tape over that and anywhere else you’ve dreamed of getting Botox, and leave it there while you sleep.
Look for the clear medical tape, like 3M Transpore clear 1-inch first aid tape.
4. Or fight off wrinkles with rose hip seed oil.
This essential oil has anti-aging properties, offers protection from age spots, helps with eczema and acne scarring, boosts your immune system, and corrects dark spots.
I’ve been using this for years and I love it.
Eliminate Puffy, Dark Under-Eye Circles
5. Save $60 and use natural oil lip balm around your eyes instead of expensive eye creams.
For real. This trick can save you hundreds over your lifetime.
Just use a glorified version of Chapstick that is all natural and organic, like this set from Amazon.
6. Use cold green tea bags under your eyes to prevent puffiness and dark circles.
Sure, there are tons of high-end products out there that promise to prevent puffiness or dark circles under your eyes, but why would you pay $35-$100 or more when you probably have it in your pantry!?
- Steep two green tea bags (black tea and white tea work as well) in hot water.
- Squeeze any excess liquid from the tea bags and place them in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes.
- Close your eyes, and place the tea bags over your eyelids, leaving them on for 15-20 minutes.
If you make multiple tea bags, store some in the freezer for the next morning!
7. Use parsley to reduce discoloration, age spots, and puffiness.
Erase dark circles and age spots by using an herb? Yes, you read that correctly.
The vitamin C, chlorophyll, and vitamin K in parsley will help lighten skin discoloration, diminish age spots and reduce puffiness.
Use two tablespoons of plain yogurt and a handful of fresh parsley. Blend the two ingredients in a food processor and apply to the under eye area to replace expensive eye creams.
8. Speaking of vitamin K, reduce dark under-eye circles by applying it around your eyes.
You can buy Vitamin K serum and apply it directly under your eyes.
9. Save $9-$25 when you use apple cider vinegar as a facial toner instead.
This can help improve your overall complexion.
Use apple cider vinegar on your face to balance and restore your skin’s natural pH, which keeps breakouts away and keeps your face nice and clean.
Additional benefits for using apple cider vinegar as toner include:
- Lightens sun and age spots
- Dissolves dead skin cells
- Improves acne and acne scars
- Helps minimize the appearance of pores
- Pour 1 part organic raw apple cider vinegar into a glass jar, bottle or container.
- Add 2 parts distilled or filtered water.
- Shake the bottle to combine the mixture.
- Apply the toner to your freshly cleansed skin using a cotton ball or pad, avoiding the eye area.
- Apply your usual, daily moisturizer after the apple cider vinegar toner has dried.
- Shake well before each use. Store in a cool, dry, dark place — no need to refrigerate!
Worried about the smell? Customize your toner by adding witch hazel, green tea, or essential oils such as tea tree oil or lavender.
Or try infusing the water in the mixture with fresh herbs for added nutrients and wonderful aromas.
- Just chop up your favorite fresh herb, bring the water to a boil, add the herbs and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and let the herb-infused water cool before adding it in place of regular water to your toner mixture.
10. Toothpaste doubles as a blemish spot treatment and can save you $6-$35.
I remember my mom always using toothpaste on her zits overnight and of course, I thought she looked ridiculous doing so.
Little did I know…this trick actually works.
Check your toothpaste to see if it contains the key ingredients for zits which include baking soda, triclosan, alcohol, sodium pyrosulphate, menthol, fluoride, or hydrogen peroxide.
If you’d rather go more natural, you can use natural organic toothpastes with fewer harsh chemicals and which also contain tea tree oil, witch hazel, aloe or eucalyptus.
11. Use coconut oil to replace shaving cream.
It’s as simple as that. Use coconut oil next time you shave for the softest legs ever. You just need to try this one. Trust me.
12. Skip buying makeup towelettes and use baby wipes instead.
If you already have baby wipes around the house, use them to replace your makeup wipes. Not only do they remove all makeup, they are safer and better for your skin.
Cut them in half to make them last even longer!
13. Avoid buying another tube of lipstick to get the matte look. Use concealer instead!
Before you spend another dime on a new lipstick, you must try this.
Dab concealer on your lips before applying your regular lipstick. Not only does it make the color appear matte, it will help keep your lipstick on longer.
14. Skip lip injections (ouch!) and use peppermint oil for plumper lips.
So many women these days are getting lip injections and lip fillers that can run $500-$2,000 dollars!
No, thank you. I have been using this trick for years, and it really works!
There are three steps to this process:
- Create a coarse cinnamon, peppermint oil, and vaseline mixture.
- Apply a little bit of it, and scrub your lips with a toothbrush. Not only does this remove all the dead skin cells and make your lips super soft, it plumps them as well.
- Use peppermint oil with any lip gloss you have.
15. Try activated charcoal as a cheap alternative to professional teeth whitening.
I was skeptical about this at first… I mean when you first use it, your mouth is BLACK. But after a week or so of using activated charcoal, I noticed a difference!
I’ve tried all the teeth whitening products out there from the Crest White Strips, to dentist-quality whiteners. All of these make my teeth extremely sensitive for days after.
With the activated charcoal, you can say goodbye to sensitive teeth and hello to extra money! You can find activated charcoal at most natural health stores, or I buy mine online through Amazon.
Save yourself $250-$400 when you buy activated charcoal powder. It comes as cheap as ten bucks!