Every year Mother’s Day arrives again, and every year I stress about what to get my mom. She loves to cook, but she doesn't like restaurants, so taking her out for brunch is a no-go. But in the last couple of years I've really found my stride in just setting aside the day to spend with my mom to do whatever she wants, and she always loves the gifts that I never spent a dime on.
And as a KCL, I’ve really learned the fine art of finding gifts for free. Read on to find out about six great freebies that everyone in the family can use to make Mother’s Day special!
Free gifts moms really want
Yes, chocolate is always great. So are flowers and no-work meals. However, if you’re like 70% of moms today who work both inside and outside the home, what you want most is time.
You just crave a few minutes of time to yourself, and also fun family time that’s free from stress and the demands of a daily to-do list.
Other surefire Mother’s Day hits include:
- Free time with the family when Mom has no responsibilities and can just have fun.
- Two sweet words: "Thank you."
- Three sweeter words: "I love you."
- Handmade, handwritten notes and gifts.
- The gift of clean—here think: "you clean, Mom enjoys the clean house and clean car.”
- Sleeping in and naps.
- One day of total family harmony—no whining, no arguing, and no tears.
- Homemade gift coupons for later (hugs, help with chores, massages, foot rubs, etc.).
6 Freebies moms will love
For even more ideas, check out these great freebies for kids and moms that can make Mother’s Day truly memorable!
1. FREE chocolate-covered strawberry at McCormick & Schmick's
As a former server at M&S for three years, I happen to know their desserts are delectable. When you take your mom to brunch for Mother's Day this year, she’ll get a complimentary chocolate covered strawberry as part of her meal. Yum!
2. FREE Pottery Barn Kids flower craft PLUS enter to win $100 and a FREE camera
Enroll the kids in Pottery Barn Kids' free classes and they can make a free festive flower craft to give to Mom on Mother's Day.
- Find a Pottery Barn Kids class near you: http://www.potterybarnkids.com/customer-service/store-events.html
- Enter to win: Plus, post a photo of your kids and their mom and tag it #PBK and you’ll be entered to win a Polaroid Cube Camera plus a $100 gift card to Pottery Barn Kids (contest opens May 1 and ends May 15).
3. FREE Home Depot Picket Fence photo frame
Enroll the kids in Home Depot's free workshop and they can make a cute picket fence photo frame for Mom. You must enroll in advance. Kids also receive a certificate of achievement, a pin, and a workshop apron.
- Find a Home Depot near you: http://workshops.homedepot.com/workshops/kids-workshops
4. FREE zoo, museum, and public garden admission for moms
What a perfect way to celebrate Mother's Day—visit the zoo, museum, or public garden together and Mom gets in free! Thirteen zoos, such as the New England Zoo, Tampa Lowry Park & Zoo, The Alaska Zoo, along with 18 museums across the country are offering grandmothers and moms, with the purchase of adult or children's ticket, free admission on May 9 or May 10 in honor of Mother's Day. Some of the museums include the Creation Museum, Harley-Davidson Museum, and Hershey Park.
- Check your local websites for details: You may find your zoo, museum, or public garden is having other special events for Mom too—celebrations will take place nationwide.
- Search the national public gardens website: http://www.nationalpublicgardensday.org/search-gardens
5. FREE Mother’s Day storytime at Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble booksellers will celebrate Mother’s Day nationwide with free Mother's Day storytime readings of classic books (check your local B&N to find out which Kids Club books are being featured).
- Find your local B&N store: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/mothers-day-storytime/379004196
6. FREE Mother’s Day planter at Lowe’s
The kids will have a great time at Lowe’s "Build and Grow" workshop making Mom a planter complete with personalized pictures just in time for Mother’s Day. Kids also get a free apron, a free patch, free goggles, and other fun freebies they can reuse.
- Find your local Lowe’s: http://lowesbuildandgrow.com/pages/default.aspx
7. FREE meals for moms
- On Sunday, May 10th, moms can swing by Hooters and purchase a drink for a free meal (value $10.00 or less). No coupon necessary, dine-in only.
- Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt is treating every mother with an eight-ounce, free cup of frozen yogurt on Mother's Day. At any of Orange Leaf's 300 participating locations, mothers can choose from 16 delicious flavors, including Pink Lemonade—last summer's number one seller. Sugar-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan yogurts are also available.
- Purchase any sandwich, salad, or mashed potatoes at Steak Escape Sandwich Grill (coupon), and your mom will receive a free meal of equal or lesser value. This offer is only valid at participating locations and cannot be combined with any other offer or coupon.
- Sign up for Cici Pizza's free email and phone updates and get an instant coupon for one free buffet. You must be 13 years or older to register.