Before your next family camping trip, make sure you check out these 23 camping hacks to make this summer one to remember (for all the best reasons!):
1. Use foam floor tiles for added comfort in your tent.
2. Strap a headlamp to a gallon jug of water for instant light.
3. Make crescent rolls over the campfire.
Bonus points if you get the crescent rolls by using a coupon.
4. Use empty Tic-Tac boxes to store spices for cooking.
5. Or, use a dollar store pill container to store spices.
Looking for more dollar store inspiration? Check out these jaw-dropping organization ideas.
6. Use dental floss and coffee filters for tea and coffee bags.
Place a scoop of loose leaf tea or ground coffee into the center of the coffee filter, and tie it with dental floss.
As soon as you’re ready, use hot water to brew!
7. Use a vegetable peeler to make single-use soap squares.
8. Use an empty laundry detergent dispenser as a hand-washing station.
9. Use an empty cardboard egg carton and charcoal for a quick and easy fire starter.
10. Make fire starters with old dryer lint and an empty toilet paper tube.
There are even more useful toilet paper tube hacks for anyone who hates wasting household items!
11. Keep your kids entertained with a camping scavenger hunt.
12. Dip cotton pads in wax for easy fire starters.
13. Freeze gallon jugs of water and place them in your cooler.
This will ensure your food stays as cold as possible for as long as possible.
14. Use Doritos to start a campfire.
It’s true! You can also use crayons, Cheetos, dried spaghetti noodles or the cotton part of a tampon.
15. Burn sage to protect yourself from pesky bugs.
Throw sage on the campfire every couple hours or so to help keep bugs away.
16. Or, put a dryer sheet in your pocket to keep bugs away.
17. Kill the sting from an insect bite with lavender essential oil.
Use lavender essential oil to kill the sting and relieve a scratchy bite. It’ll also soothe burns.
Love essential oils? Read the top 19 ways a newbie can use essential oils.
18. Combine lemongrass oil, citronella oil and eucalyptus oil for natural mosquito repellent.
Mix one drop each of lemongrass oil, citronella oil and eucalyptus oil with one teaspoon of coconut oil to make natural bug repellent.
19. Rent camping gear.
If you’re not an avid camper and don’t want to spend a ton of money at REI for one weekend (even with these crazy REI shopping hacks), you can actually rent everything you need from a company like Mountain Side Gear Rental.
20. Pack salt and pepper in a contact lens case.
21. Put out a fire with extra beer.
There are so many other things you can do with beer (besides drink it).
22. Never spend money on firewood — get it for free instead.
23. Make s’mores campfire cones.
Fill sugar cones with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips (or whatever else you like), wrap in aluminum foil, and grill over the campfire for about 7-10 minutes (but keep the cones away from open flames). Unwrap and eat!