We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Halloween is just around the corner, and one of the scariest parts is costume planning, especially what to do with your hair color. Did you know that you can use sidewalk chalk as Halloween hair dye? Yep, I’m going to show you how.
With the pressure of trying to come up with something original for Halloween, I’m all for using what you have. In this case, it’s sidewalk chalk. Forget about drawing stick figures and pitiful attempts at drawing trees and animals. Don’t spend a fortune on hair dye or wigs when this DIY recipe works wonders. Walmart’s sidewalk chalk is only $1.98 for a 24-count box. A more deluxe hair chalk kit can run at least $15.
Trick-or-treaters of all ages can benefit from this easy, safe, and affordable idea. And don’t forget general Halloween savings:
DIY Halloween Hair Dye Using Sidewalk Chalk
What To Do:
For light hair:
- Select a section of the hair that you want colored.
- Using the chalk, draw/color on your hair as if using a marker.
- Immediately apply a small mist of hair spray to hold it in place.
For dark hair:
- Place chalk into a container and add small amounts of water to dampen (not soak).
- Let the chalk sit for a few minutes until it starts to deteriorate slightly.
- Use the scissors or knife to scrape off the loosened chalk.
- Make a paste using your fingers, and apply it to the area of your hair that you want colored using a pinching technique (squeezing between your thumb and fingers).
- Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- On the lowest, coolest setting, blow dry your hair very carefully.
- After it dries, apply a small mist of hair spray to hold it in place.
If you follow these steps as stated above, the chalk should wash out after one shampoo. If the chalk is a little persistent, baking soda is great for removing color. Simply mix it into a paste while showering and apply to hair as if shampooing.