My daughter might only get a trim every now and then, but my son needs a cut more often than that. And I like to splurge on a hairstyle every couple of months too.
Related: Where to Find Cheap Haircuts
Here are some easy ways you can cut back on expensive salon costs:
1. If you pay full price for your cut, get your trim done somewhere cheaper to save $20-$25.
Make no mistake, if you’re radically changing up your style, visit a reputable salon in your area, and have them do the complicated cut.
But then take the budget-friendly option in 4-6 weeks when it’s time for a trim and save money.
Bonus points if you have the stylist show you how to trim it yourself!
2. Ask for a dry cut instead of a wash, cut, and dry to save $10-$15.
Always ask if you can get your haircut without the wash and dry — especially for men’s cuts.
You’ll get the same trim or haircut, but you’ll save about $10. Plus, it might be better for your hair and get you a more accurate cut if you have curls.
3. Check the Beauty School Directory and get your hair cut by a student to save $15-$20.
Sound crazy? It totally isn’t!
These schools churn out some seriously talented stylists for a tiny fraction of the price you’d pay at a fancy salon. For example, you can pay as little as $10 for a cut and $50 for a color at a school, instead of $100-$150 (or more!) for a cut and color at an expensive salon.
Plus, the students are carefully supervised while cutting hair so that your style turns out perfect.
Check the Beauty Schools Directory for a list of schools near you, and give them a try. Oftentimes you’ll get a coupon good for a second free cut as well!
4. Bring in your student ID card and ask about a student discount at your salon.
These salons are franchise operations that may offer a student discount. Just make sure you call and double-check with your local locations.
- MasterCuts: 10% student discount
- Supercuts: 20% for students
- Fantastic Sam’s: $3 off a haircut with a student ID
- Great Clips: $2 off student haircuts
5. Check local daily deal sites like Groupon to save up to 60% on salon services.
Groupon frequently has deals for up to 60% off salon services, so this can be a great way to save money on hair products, cuts, or color in your area.
6. Sign up for Supercuts‘ emails for $2 off your next cut.
These are the national chains, but tons of small local salons also offer deals, so don’t be afraid to call and ask!
7. Follow Fantastic Sam’s on social media for coupons and deals.
Keep in mind, though, that these deals are regional.
8. Sign up for Sport Clips‘ emails to get a free birthday haircut.
Sport Clips is one of the best places to go if you need a quick and quality men’s haircut. That free birthday cut will save you around $12 – $22 that month!
9. Trade your stockpile of laundry detergent for free haircuts.
If you have a friend or know someone who cuts hair, consider bartering your coupon skills and offering to shop on the cheap for things they might need in exchange for free haircuts. Does your stylist need laundry detergent? Think about offering that up, and get your hair cut for free.