We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
On the hunt for free food? I was looking for food challenges near me and ended up finding this list of places all over the country that will reward you for eating mass quantities of food.
Some places not only give you a free meal (if you eat it all), but you can win swag, a photo on their wall of fame, or even a cash payout.
So… who’s hungry!?
For more money-saving tips and deals, download the KCL app.
1. Nationwide: Crush Buffalo Wild Wings Blazin’ Challenge and win $100.
Unlike the other food challenges on my list, the Blazin’ Challenge is available nationwide. Eat 10 bone-in North Carolina Reaper wings in five minutes or less WITHOUT sauce or anything to drink (you can’t even wipe your mouth!) and you’ll get 1,000 ($100) Blazin’ Rewards, your name on the TVs in the bar, and on the Wall of Fame at your local B-dubs.
There are plenty of other (less painful!) ways to get free and cheap food at Buffalo Wild Wings.
2. Try your luck at the Big Pig Challenge at Saucy Q Bar B Que in Mobile, Alabama.
Known as the largest pork sandwich in Alabama, the Big Pig Challenge at Saucy Q Bar B Que is a 2.5-lb pulled pork sandwich with 1 lb of coleslaw and 1 lb of sauce (whoa) that you (and you alone) have to eat in 45 minutes.
3. Win the Kodiak Arrest Challenge at Humpy’s Great Alaskan Alehouse and get the $365 bill paid.
Hey seafood lovers, check out the Kodiak Arrest Challenge at Humpy’s Great Alaskan Alehouse in Anchorage, Alaska. Within 60 minutes you need to eat 4 lbs of Alaskan king crab, 7 crab nuggets, 14 inches of reindeer sausage, side dishes, a wild berry crisp with ice cream. Value $365.
4. Finish one of the various food challenges at Giligin’s Bar in Arizona to get a $50 bar tab.
You have a few choices at Giligin’s Bar in Scottsdale, Ariz. There are six different one-hour food challenges: the Old 96’er (a two-pound burger), 20 corn dogs, a family-sized bag of tater tots, the Colon Blaster (24 hot wings and sides), 144 pizza rolls, or the Big Ern (13-egg omelet with sides). You must reserve your challenge spot the day before. If you emerge victoriously, you get your meal for free — plus a $50 bar tab.
5. Bring your friends for the Giant Pizza Challenge at Big Mama’s and Papa’s Pizzeria in SoCal.
You and six of your food-loving friends need to finish a 54″ x 54″, 200-slice pizza in two hours at the Burbank and Glendale Big Mama’s and Papa’s Pizzeria locations in Southern California. You must call (818) 841-8844 at least 48 hours in advance and pay the $399 for the pizza. Eat the whole thing and you get your money back.
6. Win $100 when you win the Mongo Burrito Challenge in Sarasota.
The Burritos Mexican Grill in Sarasota, Fla., has the Mongo Burrito Challenge. This beasty burrito weighs 8 lbs and costs $100. You get one hour to finish it to get the $100 prize (in addition to your $100 bill paid). You must schedule and pay in advance by calling (941) 922-3888.
7. Become the Pho King Champion at So Ba Vietnamese Restaurant in Atlanta.
Love pho? Try finishing 2 lbs of noodles, 1 1/2 lbs of meat, and 96 oz of broth in under one hour. You get it for free, plus a $50 gift card, and an “I’m a Pho King Champion” T-shirt. Warning: So Ba Vietnamese Restaurant has only had one winner! Value $35.
8. Start your day with the M.A.C. DADDY Pancake Challenge in Hawaii.
If you want your meal for free and you love your breakfast, here you go. With the Mac 24/7 Restaurant + Bar M.A.C. DADDY Pancake Challenge in Waikiki, Hawaii, you have to eat three 14-inch pancakes (weighing 5 lbs) with toppings of your choice in 90 minutes. Think you have what it takes? If you fail, you pay $35.
9. Get on the Wall of Fame with the Big Jud’s Challenge in Boise, Idaho.
At Big Jud’s, you have a choice between a one-pound or a two-pound burger challenge. The Big Jud’s Challenge includes fries and a drink that must be completed in 30 minutes. Clean your plate and you’ll also get a T-shirt and your pic on the wall of fame.
10. Eat three sandwiches at Lucky’s Sandwich Co. in Chicago and get them free.
Lucky’s Sandwich Co. in Chicago, offers this challenge: you have an hour to finish three sandwiches that cost $12-$14 each. Seems simple enough, right?
You can select from Roast Beef, Capicola, Cajun Chicken, Corned Beef, Ham, Smoked Turkey, The Fredo, and Salami Pastrami.
11. Take on Chubby Ray’s Fat Teddy Five-Pound Burger Challenge in Kentucky.
You only have an hour to eat the 5-lb “Fat Teddy” burger and a basket of fries at Chubby Ray’s in Louisville, Kentucky (valued at $64.95).
12. Get free food and online fame with one of Maryland’s many food challenges at Chick and Ruth’s.
Chick and Ruth’s Delly (yes that’s how it’s spelled) in Annapolis, Md., offers several colossal challenges, headlined by the Man vs. Food Challenge (inspired by the Travel Channel Show).
The Man vs. Food Challenge includes a 1.5-lb sandwich (Colossal Sandwich/Colossal Reuben/Colossal Burger) and a 6-lb Colossal Shake. Finish and you get the food free, a free T-shirt, and your picture on the restaurant’s website and social media.
Too much food? They have these other food challenges, too:
- Colossal Shake Challenge (6-lb milkshake)
- Super Colossal Sandwich Challenge (3-lb sandwich)
- Super Duper Colossal Burger Challenge (3-lb cheeseburger)
13. Take the Dog Central Challenge and become a Michigan legend.
Dog Central in Mt. Pleasant, Mich. loves challenges. They have several to choose from. The DC Challenge consists of 3-foot-long dogs with chili, two toppings or any signature dog, fries, onion rings, and a 20-oz soda in 25 minutes or less. What do you get besides your meal free and indigestion? You can win $10, a T-shirt, and your pic on their wall of fame forever.
They have a few other challenges where they’ll pay for your meal:
- Most Hot Dogs Eaten in 2 Hours
- Most Hot Dogs Eaten in 1/2 Hour
- The Ghost Chili Challenge (Three dogs with Famously Hot Ghost Pepper Chili)
You can also get your name on the wall of fame (or shame) when you eat eight dogs with chili and one topping BUT you have to pay $26.29 for this challenge even if you eat it all.
You must schedule your challenge online 24 hours in advance.
14. Finish the Whammy Burger Challenge at Mississippi’s Burgers Blues Barbeque in under 30 minutes.
The Whammy Burger Challenge at Burgers Blues Barbeque in Brandon, Miss., consists of three 1-lb patties, 1 lb of fries, and a root beer float. If you can finish this in 30 minutes, your meal is on the house.
15. Tackle the spaghetti-and-meatball Mama’s Challenge at Mama’s on the Hill in Missouri.
Mama’s on the Hill in St. Louis, Missouri, offers the Mama’s Challenge. You’ll get a large bowl of spaghetti topped with a meatball larger than a softball in one hour or less. You can schedule your challenge Monday – Thursday (anytime), Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (anytime before 4 p.m.). If you want to schedule for after 4 p.m., you need to give them 24-hour notice. Value $45.99
16. Participate in the more than 100-year-old Five Malt Challenge at Crown Candy Kitchen in St. Louis.
This St. Louis challenge started in 1913. If you have a sweet tooth, try Crown Candy Kitchen’s Five Malt Challenge. You just have to drink five 24-oz malts or shakes in 30 minutes. Not available during peak times.
17. Wear comfy pants for the Stellinator Challenge at Stella’s Bar & Grill, in Nebraska.
The “Stellinator” at Stella’s Bar & Grill in Bellevue is no joke. This burger monster contains 6 beef patties, 6 fried eggs, six pieces of cheese, 12 strips of bacon (wait there is still more), lettuce, tomato, fried onions, pickles, jalapeños, peanut butter, and a nice thick bun. You have 45 minutes to finish it in hopes of getting it for free! The challenge is available Monday through Thursday by reservation only.
18. Gamble on completing the Sears Tower Challenge in Las Vegas.
For the Sears Tower Challenge at Windy City Beefs N Dogs in Las Vegas, you must finish a 7.2-lb Italian beef and sausage combo sandwich that has cheese and hot/sweet peppers. If that wasn’t enough, you have to finish a bag of fries as well. And all of this must be done in half an hour.
19. Win up to $2,000 with the 8th Wonder Challenge at New Jersey’s Clinton Station Diner.
This Clinton, N.J. restaurant gives you plenty of chances to win money:
- Finish the Clinton Station Diner’s 8th Wonder Challenge (105 lbs) in one hour with the help of nine of your friends and they’ll give you $2,000! The challenge is only held between 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- If you and four of your friends can finish the Mt. Olympus Challenge (25 lbs beef — 50 lbs total after toppings) in one hour it’s free, plus you get $1,000!
- You must finish the 15-lb Zeus Challenge by yourself in 90 minutes, or bring one friend and finish it in 45 minutes. Bring two friends and finish it in under 30 minutes, it’s on the house, and get $500!
- Finish the Atlas Challenge (3 lbs beef) in 45 minutes and it’s free!
If you want to learn more or to set a date, call them at (908)-713-0012. They say if you win one of their challenges you can’t come back and compete again for the cash prizes.
20. Get your barbeque bib ready for The Challenge at Swingbellys BBQ on Long Island.
Simply known as The Challenge of all challenges, this meal at Swingbellys BBQ in Long Beach, N.Y., includes a full slab of ribs, pulled pork on Texas Toast, brisket on Texas Toast, rib tips, two pieces of cornbread, and two sides. You have an hour or less to eat this to get it free.
21. Protein up with the King Kong Omelet Challenge at The Hungry Monkey in Rhode Island.
The Hungry Monkey in Newport offers the King Kong Omelet Challenge, which is a massive 15-egg omelet full of chorizo, cheese, meat, and veggies. You’ve got an hour to complete the mission to get the $29.95 taken off your bill.
22. Dare yourself to finish the 10-pound Rocky Top Challenge in Tennessee.
To win the Rocky Top Challenge at It’s All So Yummy Café in Knoxville, Tenn., you must eat 10 lbs of sweet goodness — which includes 16 scoops of ice cream, 3 bananas, 3 brownies, and 3 lbs of sauces and candy. Finish it in 60 minutes or less. Can you say brain freeze? Value $50.
23. Go big or go home with the world-famous 72-Ounce Steak Challenge at Big Texan Steak Ranch.
Everything’s bigger in Texas, and the 72-Ounce Steak Challenge at Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo, Texas is no different. If you can put down the massive cut of beef plus a shrimp cocktail, baked potato, salad, and a roll within an hour, this $72 meal is on the house.
24. Finish the Lucky 13 Challenge in Utah to win $200 (and free food).
You have an hour to finish what the Lucky 13 Bar and Grill in Salt Lake City, Utah calls the “Big Benny” — a 28-oz, 12-inch-tall burger, loaded with bacon, ham, cheddar, swiss cheese, caramelized onions, and Lucky sauce, AND a 7-oz Lucky 13 burger. Eat it all in an hour, and you not only get your food free, but you also win two Benjamins.
25. Sign a waiver before you take on the Eat Heat Challenge at Quaker Steak & Lube in Seattle.
This one is simple. To win the Quaker Steak & Lube’s Eat Heat Challenge, all you have to do is eat five wings. Easy enough, right? Wrong. This atomic challenge is spicy enough that you have to sign a waiver before you eat the wings.