We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
If you’re like me, you get annoyed that your bank charges you fees to use your money to make them more money (which they do.) But did you know it’s totally possible to get banks to pay you to open a new account with them?
You’ve just got to know the rules of the game — things like minimum balances and deposit amounts, direct deposit requirements, and a minimum length of time to keep a new account open — and have a little patience to work the system.
Free money takes some effort, but hey, it’s still free money. Here are the banks that are making it rain, paying you hundreds for your business (as they should.) Make sure to download the official KCL app for more money-making tips.
1. Open a new Chase checking account and get a bonus of up to $300.
Chase is currently offering a new checking account bonus as long as you follow a few simple rules.
- Get $200 when you open a Chase Total Checking Account:
- Set up direct deposit of at least $500/month
- Keep at least $1,500 in the account, or have at least $5,000 in your combined accounts to avoid the $12/month fee
Or open a Chase Premier Plus Checking account for $300.
- Open a Chase Premier Plus Checking account by July 20, 2020
- Set up direct deposit and make your first deposit within 90 days
- Chase will add a $300 bonus to the account within 10 business days of your first deposit
2. Earn a $200 checking account bonus when you open a new KeyBank account.
KeyBank currently has a promotion where you can get $200 for opening a new Key checking account.
- Open a Key Advantage Checking, Key Express Checking, Key Privilege Checking, or Key Privilege Select Checking account with the promo code ONAS0520 by June 12, 2020
- Make an individual direct deposit of at least $500 within the first 60 days
- Avoid the $7/month account fee by maintaining $500/month in direct deposits, or by completing eight transactions every month
- Keep it open for at least 180 days (or you’ll be charged a $25 early closure fee)
3. Use Bank of America promo code PSR100CIS for a cool $100.
You can also get a $100 Bank of America checking account bonus for opening a new account when you use their promo code.
- Open a Bank of America Advantage Banking Account by June 30, 2020 with the promo code PSR100CIS
- You have 90 days to make two deposits of $250 or more and you’ll earn a $100 bonus
RELATED: Your Ultimate Guide To Rebate Apps
4. Get a $1,000 Citizens Bank CollegeSaver account bonus when your child turns 18.
Depending on your child’s age when you open a CollegeSaver account with Citizens Bank, you could be eligible for a $1,000 bonus once they turn 18.
- Open a CollegeSaver savings account with a deposit of $25 if your child is under six years old
- Each month, deposit at least $25 and receive the $1,000 bonus with interest when they turn 18
- Or, if your child is between 6 and 11, open a CollegeSaver savings account with a $500 deposit
- If you open the account between those ages, deposit $50/month and get the $1,000 bonus with interest when they turn 18
5. Get up to $700 with your new Citibank checking account.
You can get anywhere from $200 to $700 for opening a new Citibank checking account, depending on the type of account you open, by June 30, 2020.
- Open a checking account with the Basic Banking Package, deposit $5,000 in the first 30 days, and keep a minimum balance of $5,000 for 60 days for a $200 bonus
- Open new savings and checking accounts with the Citibank Account Package, deposit $15,000 between both accounts in the first 30 days, and keep a minimum balance of $15,000 for 60 days for a $400 bonus
- Open new savings and checking accounts with the Citi Priority Account Package, deposit $50,000 in the first 30 days, and keep a minimum balance of $50,000 for 60 days for a $700 bonus
6. Collect $400 with a new SunTrust checking account.
You can add a $400 bonus to your SunTrust Advantage checking account when you use the promo code Q220ADVANTAGE.
- Open your new Advantage checking account by Jun. 30, 2020
- Direct deposit at least $3,000 per month for two straight months out of the first three monthly statement cycles
- The bonus will be added to your account in eight weeks at the latest
RELATED: Creative Ways to Save Money Grocery Shopping Online
7. Refer a friend to TD Bank and you both get a $50 checking account bonus.
If you refer a friend or family member to open a TD Bank personal checking account with some stipulations, you can both get a $50 bonus.
- Complete the referral form and send to your friend or family member
- Once they open a personal checking account with the form and either make a $250 direct deposit or purchase with their debit card 15 times within the first 60 days, you will both receive a $50 bonus
- You can refer 10 people a year, a potential $500 total bonus
8. Make monthly deposits for an HSBC bank account bonus up to $475.
If you open a new HSBC checking account online by June 29, 2020, you’ll be eligible for a few possible bonuses if you make third party deposits. These bonuses will appear in your account eight weeks after you meet the requirements.
- Two full months after opening an HSBC Advance checking account, deposit at least $500 a month for three months for a $225 bonus
- Two full months after opening an HSBC Premier checking account, deposit at least $5,000 a month for three months for a $475 bonus
TIP: No matter where you choose to open your account, be smart about it. Don’t move any accounts if the reward isn’t greater than the cost of closing your old account. And keep in mind that these bonuses are taxable income.
9. Wells Fargo is giving a $400 bonus for opening a new account if…
…you live in Denver, CO; Houston, TX; Miami, FL; Orlando, FL; Phoenix, AZ; Seattle, WA and open a new Everyday Checking account at a participating branch either online or in-branch.
Here’s more rules:
- Fund your new checking account with a minimum opening deposit of $25
- Receive a total of $4,000 or more in qualifying direct deposits to the new checking account within 90 days from account opening (the “qualification period”)
- Expires July 31, 2020
Don’t Scroll Up! These are the articles mentioned:
Your Ultimate Guide to Rebate Apps
Creative Ways to Save Money Grocery Shopping Online