We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Registering for wedding gifts is one of the highlights of your long list of “to dos” planning your wedding. And Amazon makes it pretty easy to set up a wedding registry in minutes. (Literally, it took me less than four minutes to get signed up).
Plus, there are lots of benefits to having an Amazon Wedding Registry, including a 20% discount you can use after your wedding on unpurchased registry items. They also make group gifting easy, and give you longer-than-normal return windows. Here’s the full scoop on the little-known benefits of making an Amazon Wedding Registry.
For more smart shopping tips and savings hacks, text HACKS to 57299 or download the KCL app.
1. You earn a 20% discount that can be used after your wedding day.
To get this 20% discount, your guests need to have purchased $500 worth of gifts from your Amazon wedding registry. After that, everything left on your list is 20% off — so add as much as you think you’ll buy onto your registry right up until the big day.
Note that this discount only applies to items on your wedding registry that are shipped and sold by Amazon.com after your wedding date. Even if it’s the same exact item sold by a third party seller, it does not qualify for the discount.
Note: Amazon says that if your event wedding date is on or after Aug. 31, 2023, the $500 qualifying purchase amount excludes Amazon.com Gift Cards, Group Gifting contributions that are received as electronic Amazon.com gift cards, Gift Card Fund contributions that are received as electronic Amazon.com gift cards, Visa gift cards, and Mastercard gift cards.
2. Amazon will tell you who bought what with their Thank You Card tracker.
Lots of wedding registries tell you that a gift was purchased, but they don’t always tell you who bought it for you. Also, plenty of packages arrive at your doorstep without a name on the shipping receipt. With Amazon’s Thank You Card tracker, you can see who bought a particular gift from your registry, and you can see their gift note and possibly their return address (if their privacy settings allow it). This feature is really helpful when you need to send out Thank You cards.
3. If you have a bigger-ticket item, you can easily make it eligible for “group gifting”.
Mark expensive gifts on your Amazon wedding registry as eligible for a “Group Gift” so friends and family can contribute to the purchase of it with the touch of a button. Gone are the days of your Aunt Sheryl having to hunt everyone down to throw $20 in an envelope.
Although you should know that group gifts aren’t automatically purchased once you have received enough contributions. When you reach the amount needed, you will have to log in and officially make the final purchase through the registry.
RELATED: 14 Wedding Freebies Worth Over $700
4. Take advantage of 180-day returns with your Amazon wedding registry.
Amazon.com and a lot of sellers on Amazon offer returns for most items within 30 days of receipt of shipment, but you will have up to 180 days to make returns on items purchased through your wedding registry.
That’s a wayyyy better return window than the normal 30-days you get for regular Amazon returns.
5. Signing up for an Amazon wedding registry takes just a few minutes.
Here’s how to sign up:
1. Go to Amazon.com/wedding to get started, and enter your names.
2. Next, enter your wedding date. (If you don’t know the date, or if it changes, you can easily edit this information later.)
3 Enter the wedding size. Having an estimate of how many people will be invited to the wedding helps gauge how many items to include on your registry.
4. Add your shipping address. Here, you can select if you want to share your mailing address with guests and if you’d like them to be able to send you items that are not on your registry.
5. Select privacy settings. Choose whether or not to have your registry open to the public and searchable, or if friends and family will need a special URL to access your list. You can also set it up as private while you work on the list, then change the settings at a later date.
6. Opt-in or opt-out of emails. If you’d like to receive wedding registry gift suggestions, you might benefit from opting in. However, I generally opt out of marketing emails like this if I can. Registration is complete!
Note: You have to have an Amazon account to sign up for a wedding registry. But you don’t have to have Prime; just sign up for a free account.
6. If you’re completely lost at first, Amazon’s Gift Advisory tool can help.
There are a couple of ways to add items to your wedding registry. If you aren’t sure where to start, browse gift ideas by room or what’s popular on other wedding registries. Then, if you have specific items you’d like to add, you can search for that product. Instead of clicking “add to cart,” you can select “add to wedding registry” in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.
Also, check-in with the Gift Advisory Tool to see if you have a good distribution of gift ideas across all price categories. You can easily add more gift suggestions (or delete a few) in one area if things seem uneven.
7. Your Amazon wedding registry can feature your top 10 most-wanted items.
Once you’ve added gifts to your registry, be sure to flag 10-20 gifts as “most wanted” so they appear at the top of the page. To mark an item as “most wanted,” click on the item within the registry, then click on the “most wanted” toggle. Finally, hit save. When you refresh the registry, the most wanted items will now appear at the top of the list.
8. It’s easy to share your registry with those who aren’t even tech-savvy.
The last step is to share your wedding registry with family and friends by creating a personalized web link. You can use the one Amazon provides or create your own.
Our Favorite Amazon Wedding Registry Must-Haves
Use your wedding registry to fill out the essentials for your home, such as towels, bedding, and cookware, and then you can save your money for more personal purchases, like furniture and home decor. Here are five must-have products to add to your Amazon wedding registry: