From what I’ve seen, some stores, like Cheryl’s Cookies or Williams Sonoma, will charge anywhere from $40 to $70 for a gingerbread house kit. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the art of it, but my wallet’s already wrapped up with the weight of holiday decor and gift shopping.
I browsed around for the best gingerbread house kits I could find with a max budget of $15. And guess what? I found a ton. Plus, if you aren’t into gingerbread, there are some fun sugar cookie kits at Target. (Tip: use your Target RedCard to save 5%, and if you’re buying more than one kit, get automatic free shipping on orders over $35).
Below, find the best gingerbread house kits from Walmart, Target, and Wilton that cost as low as $5. For more holiday savings, text DEALS to 57299 and keep up with sales as they drop.
Best Gingerbread House Kits of 2022:
- Classic House Gingerbread Kit with Roof Helper
- Build Your Own Gingerbread House Kit
- Holiday Gingerbread Log Cabin Cookie Kit
- Glitter Chateau Sugar Cookie Kit with Icing
- Santa’s Mailbox Sugar Cookie Kit
- Wilton Build-It-Yourself Super Mario by Nintendo Gingerbread Castle Decorating Kit
- Woodland Mid-Century Modern Gingerbread House Kit
- Woodland Holiday Gingerbread House Kit
And to make it easy for you to find the best value, we calculated the cost per ounce for each house (price divided by weight). These are the gingerbread houses under $15, sorted by unit cost low to high:
1. Classic House Gingerbread Kit with Roof Helper, ($0.34 per ounce) at Target
The instructions on the back of this gingerbread house kit package ($12.99, Target) take the guesswork out of assembly. I like that the box comes with a little handle, making it easy to transport to a holiday gathering. And it’s eligible for free Target pickup. This 38.8-ounce house costs just $0.34 per ounce.
Related: 25 Gifts for Grandmas That Feel Special but Won’t Break the Bank
2. Build Your Own Gingerbread House Kit, ($0.35 per ounce) at Five Below
Build a quaint little gingerbread cottage ($5, Five Below) at a great value. Though this model is a little smaller than its peers at 15.12 ounces, it has all the decorations you need for a fun (and tasty) activity. This 14.3-ounce house costs just $0.35 per ounce.
3. Holiday Gingerbread Log Cabin Cookie Kit, ($0.38 per ounce) at Target
If you buy three of these gingerbread log cabin kits ($12.99, Target), you can get free shipping with your Target RedCard. The kit comes with light bulb sprinkles plus blue and green icing so you can customize the cabin any way you like. This 32.66-ounce house costs $0.38 per ounce.
4. Glitter Chateau Sugar Cookie Kit with Icing, ($0.45 per ounce) at Target
Kids that like pink, unicorns, and llamas might get a kick out of this sparkly sugar cookie “chateau” ($12.99, Target). It comes ready to build and can ship in two days (depending on your location). This 29-ounce house costs $0.45 per ounce.
5. Santa’s Mailbox Sugar Cookie Kit, ($0.47 per ounce) at Target
For something a little different, you can build Santa’s mailbox ($12.99, Target). It uses sugar cookies instead of traditional gingerbread. For anyone concerned about allergens, just know that it may contain tree nuts, eggs, soy, and milk. Don’t forget to use your Target RedCard for an extra 5% off. This 27.68-ounce house costs $0.47 per ounce.
6. Wilton Super Mario by Nintendo Gingerbread Castle Decorating Kit, ($0.47 per ounce) at Walmart
We love Wilton’s baking supplies (and deals on them). So we expect nothing less from this Super Mario Gingerbread Castle kit ($14.98, Walmart). The kit includes everything you need, from pre-baked gingerbread castle pieces to candy, icing, decorating tools, and more. This 32-ounce house costs $0.47 per ounce.
7. Woodland Mid-Century Modern Gingerbread House Kit, ($0.49 per ounce), at World Market
When I came across this little gingerbread home ($10.49, World Market), I was struck by how unique it looked. Remember, World Market members get an extra 10% off store pickup and don’t have to pay for shipping. Before the sale price, this 30.56-ounce house costs $0.49 per ounce.
8. Woodland Holiday Gingerbread House Kit, ($0.85 per ounce) at World Market
You can get free curbside pickup when you order this woodland gingerbread house kit ($4.89, World Market). It’s one of the cheapest options on this list, and you get free shipping if you’re a World Market member. Before the sale price, this 8.25-ounce house costs $0.85 per ounce.