I’ve had my AAA membership ever since I was sixteen years old living at home with my parents. I never thought much of it. My mom always reminded me to carry my card in case of an emergency. I once had to use it when I locked my keys in the car and again when I had a flat tire. I always assumed it was just for roadside assistance.
Years later, after still having a membership, I heard that AAA members get discounts on many other things! I went online to the AAA website and found discounts on places where I go and shop all of the time.
- Clothing: Get 10%-20% off at stores like New York & Company and Kohls.
- Travel: Disney offers discounts around 20% off theme park tickets.
- Entertainment: Flash your card at the movie theaters for a discount on tickets. Fallsview Casino Resort, near where I live, gives away $30 in slot machine credits for showing your AAA card.
- Lodging: Many hotels offer discounts. Staying at a Marriott hotel Thursday through Sunday qualifies for a 15% discount and free breakfast. Look for the AAA logo.
- Others: Some businesses that aren’t advertised on the website honor my AAA card as well. At Safelite I simply asked if they would give a discount for my cracked windshield and received 25% off!
There are many other places that offer discounts, and for around $57 a year for a basic membership, why wouldn't you sign up? If my car ever broke down on the side of the road and I didn't have AAA, it would cost more than a membership fee to have it towed to the nearest repair shop.
This has been a guest post by Caitlin from Trumansburg, NY
Find out more about the KCL Contributor Network!