We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
It’s no secret that 2019 hasn’t been kind to retail stores — we shared about how nearly 5,000 stores are closing this year — and now it looks like Walmart is caught up in it, too.
The megastore superstar is quietly closing some stores, and soon.
Here’s what you need to know:
Walmart is closing or has already closed stores in nine states and Canada.
At least 15 stores have been shut down by April 15th or will be shutting down this year in Texas, Arizona, California, Kansas, Louisiana, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington and Canada. Here’s the full list of closed or closing Walmart stores:
- 6085 W. Chandler Blvd., Chandler, AZ
- 3900 W. Ina Road, Tucson, AZ
- 1600 Saratoga Ave., San Jose, CA
- 712 N. Western Ave., Liberal, KS
- 1229 NE. Trwy., Lafayette, LA (Supercenter)
- 17 Colby Court, Bedford, NH
- 3603 Broad River Road, Columbia, SC
- 1757 W. Andrew Johnson Hwy., Morristown, TN
- 2501 University Commons Way, Knoxville, TN
- 3155 W. Wheatland Road, Dallas, TX (Supercenter)
- 7000 Iron Bridge Road, North Chesterfield, VA
- 2864 Virginia Beach Blvd., Virginia Beach, VA
- 7809 NE. Vancouver Plaza Dr., Vancouver, WA
- 293 Bay Street, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- 101 Boulevard Cardinal Leger, Pincourt, Quebec
Just about all of the stores are Walmart Neighborhood Markets.
Out of the 15 stores closing, 13 of them are Walmart Neighborhood Market stores — smaller, grocery-focused stores that are about a fifth the size of Walmart Supercenters.
As Walmart examines its ever-expanding Pickup service at its Superstores, they’re taking another look at the Neighborhood Market strategy.
There are nearly 700 Neighborhood Markets across the U.S.
Walmart has opened and closed plenty of Neighborhood Markets over the years.
Walmart reported that it has opened 676 Neighborhood Markets, closed 161, and converted 1 to a Supercenter since 2014.
Don’t expect closeout sales at these Walmarts — stick to Clearance instead.
It’s likely the goods from these stores will be shuffled to other Walmarts — since there are more than 4,700 others in the U.S.
Instead, if you’re wanting closeout prices, check out our guide to Walmart clearance — and keep tabs on Walmart coupons.
Don’t worry about Walmart — they’ve closed more stores than this before.
Back in 2016, they shuttered 154 U.S. stores. And even with the 15 closures this year, the chain is planning to open 10 new stores.