We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Some big stores like Aldi, Costco, Trader Joe’s, and Sam’s Club have never offered senior discounts to their shoppers, while other grocery stores like Kroger and Meijer have scrapped their senior discounts altogether in exchange for lower prices across the board. So which grocery stores offer senior discounts in 2023?
We did a deep dive to find out which grocery stores still offer senior discounts so you can save more money at the register. Lucky for you, we found quite a few!
For more smart shopping tips and savings hacks, text HACKS to 57299.
Remember these tips for finding (and using) a grocery store senior discount.
Before we get into the full list of which grocery stores offer senior discounts, you’ll want to keep these tips in mind:
- Call ahead and verify that your local grocery store offers a senior discount and confirm any necessary details.
- You may find that senior discounts vary between stores (even from the same chain).
- Join the store’s loyalty program.
- Be prepared to show your ID or use your loyalty card at checkout.
- Know that most grocery store senior discounts have exceptions. They often don’t apply to prescriptions, alcohol, tobacco, tickets, postage, lottery, transit passes, money orders, fuel, or gift cards.
Grocery Stores That Offer Senior Discounts in 2023:
1. Albertsons’ senior discount day is the first Thursday of the month.
I had to call customer service to verify, but the Albertsons senior discount depends on your store location and applies to customers ages 55 and up. Here’s how it breaks down:
- All intermountain Albertsons locations offer a 10% senior discount on the first Thursday of every month.
- All southwest Albertsons locations offer a 10% discount on the first Wednesday of every month.
Related: We can teach you how to coupon at Albertsons.
2. American Discount Foods’ senior discount is 10%.
Is there an American Discount Foods discount for seniors? Yes! Both locations in Meza, Arizona, offer a Senior Day every Monday.
Senior citizens 62+ get 10% off their entire purchase. You’ll just need to show a valid ID.
3. Bashas’ Supermarket senior discount day is the first Wednesday of the month.
Seniors 55 and over can save on their groceries when they use the 10% Bashas’ senior discount on the first Wednesday of the month. They may ask you for an ID.
4. Community Markets’ senior discount is 5%.
If you’re 60 or older, you can save 5% every Tuesday with the Community Markets senior discount. They have 17 locations throughout Ohio and one in Berne, Indiana.
5. DeCicco Family Markets’ senior discount day is Wednesday.
Seniors 62 years or older can get 5% off their purchase with the DeCicco Family Markets senior discount on Wednesdays. You must have a DeCicco Preferred card and verify your age with your ID to get a senior discount at one of their four New York locations:
- Jefferson Valley, NY
- Katonah, NY
- New City, NY
- Scarsdale, NY
6. Family Fare senior discount day is every Wednesday.
Family Fare has Senior Wednesdays every week. Unlike most stores, no ID is required to verify your age, and you can stack the 5% senior discount with weekly sales and promotions.
Note: You can’t use the discount at the self-checkout or combine it with other discounts like their associate discount.
7. Fred Meyer senior discount day is the first Tuesday of the month.
If you’re 55 years or older, you can get 10% off the first Tuesday of the month when you shop at Fred Meyer stores. The senior discount is good on the following items:
- Fred Meyer, Kroger, Simple Truth, and more brands (36 total)
- ALL home (toys, sporting goods, auto, garden)
- Most electronics except Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox consoles
Related: See the latest Fred Meyer coupons.
8. Fry’s senior day is the first Wednesday of the month.
Shoppers 55 and over can save 10% on groceries and lots of other items at Fry’s with their senior discount on the first Wednesday of the month. Here’s a look at other things you can use your Fry’s senior discount on:
- Health and Beauty
- Pet Food and Supplies
- Produce and Floral
- Meat and Seafood
- Bakery and Deli
- Cleaning Supplies and Paper Products
- Apparel, Shoes, and Accessories
- Books and Cards
- Toys and Sporting Goods
- Baby Items and Diapers
- Most Electronics, except for Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox consoles
Related: See the latest Fry’s coupons.
9. Gristedes Supermarkets’ senior discount is 10%.
Shoppers in the New York, New York, area, can use the Gristedes Supermarket 10% senior discount every Tuesday. They have 10 locations open every day from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.
10. Grocery Outlet senior discount day is Tuesdays.
Some of the 400+ Grocery Outlet stores offer a 10% senior discount every Tuesday. Since Grocery Outlet stores are independently owned, you need to verify any senior discount with your nearby Grocery Outlet. Here’s where you can find them:
- New Jersey
11. Harris Teeter’s senior discount is 5%.
With the Harris Teeter Club 60 program, shoppers over 60 years of age can get a 5% senior discount every Thursday. You must tell your cashier and use your VIC card.
Note: The Harris Teeter senior discount applies after coupons, and VIC discounts are deducted and won’t work on fuel, pharmacy, tickets, and gift cards.
12. Hy-Vee senior discount day is every Wednesday or Thursday.
If you’re 55 years or older, you can get a 10% discount on Wednesdays or Thursdays at some Hy-Vee grocery stores. Use the store finder and scroll down to Store News and you’ll see any posted offers. They have 280 locations across eight Midwestern states:
- South Dakota
13. New Seasons Market’s senior discount is 10%.
Shoppers 65+ can save 10% on most items every Wednesday at the 19 New Seasons Market locations in Portland, Oregon, and the surrounding area.
14. Piggly Wiggly senior discount day is every Thursday.
Some Piggly Wiggly stores offer a 5% senior discount on Wednesdays to shoppers ages 62+. Since each location is independently owned, we recommend you call your nearby Piggy Wiggly to verify the discount details.
15. Publix’s senior discount is 5%, but only in one state.
Although Publix stores in Tennessee and Alabama discontinued their senior discount in December 2017, Publix shoppers can still get a 5% senior discount at stores in the area around Charlotte, North Carolina.
According to a statement by a Publix spokeswoman, they got rid of their senior discount at other locations in exchange for boosting their number of weekly BOGOs available to all customers.
Related: See the latest Publix deals.
16. Safeway senior discount day is the first Wednesday of the month.
Shoppers 62 years of age and older can save 10% on their grocery purchases with the Safeway senior discount on the first Wednesday of every month. Stores in the following states participate in the senior discount:
- New Mexico
17. ShopRite’s senior discount is 5% – 10%.
Since ShopRite stores are independently owned, their senior discount and senior day may vary. But in general, seniors 60+ can get 5% – 10% off on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
18. Uncle Giuseppe’s Marketplace senior discount day is Wednesdays.
Shoppers 65+ in parts of New York and New Jersey can get 5% off their groceries at Uncle Giuseppe’s Marketplace on Wednesdays. They have 10 locations in the following cities and states:
- East Meadow, NY
- North Babylon, NY
- Massapequa, NY
- Melville, NY
- Morris Plains, NJ
- Port Jefferson Station, NY
- Port Washington, NY
- Ramsey, NJ
- Smithtown, NY
- Yorktown Heights, NY