Did you know it’s possible to save at least 60% at Michaels craft store without much effort? In fact, you can reach up to 90% savings when you know how to stack Michaels coupons, what Michaels sales to jump on, and which items tend to get the lowest markdowns.
Lucky for you, we’ve got all those ways to save right here. We told you this would be easy.
1. You can always find a “20% off All Regular Price Purchases” Michaels coupon.
Remember how Michaels used to always have that “40% off one regular price item” coupon available in the app and on Michaels.com? And those “$20 off a $50 purchase” coupons? Those days are gone. Now, you’ll just see the coupon good for “20% off All Regular Price Purchases.”
Michaels coupon exclusions apply to all coupons unless otherwise stated — like sale items, custom framing, Cricut items, and more. Coupons are available in the Michaels app or you can find the promo codes at Michaels.com.
2. Michaels’ 40% off coupon may make a comeback — just watch for a physical mailer.
I’m not sure if it will ever be available all the time in the Michaels app again, but I recently received a mailer with a couple of coupons for 40% off any one regular-price item. It gives me hope that they’ll be back!
Reach out to Michaels Customer Care to make sure you’re on the list for snail mail!
TIP: You can stack a 40% off one regular price item coupon with an “entire purchase” coupon. I’ve only seen entire purchase coupons in the mail. If you see one, go ahead and stack!
3. Use your Michaels 20% off coupon with a coupon like “40% off Washi Tape” in one transaction, but you can’t stack the two.
Confusing much? I’ll explain. Let’s say you see two coupons available in the Michaels app. One is the new coupon that’s always there — “20% off Regular Price Purchases.” And the other is a specific product coupon like “40% off Washi Tape.” You can use both of these coupons in one transaction, but you can’t stack the 20% off coupon on the Washi Tape offer to get 60% off (I wish!).
You’d need to buy at least one regular-priced item in your transaction with the Washi Tape so that the 20% off coupon has somewhere to go. Your 40% off coupon will apply to the Washi Tape, and the 20% off coupon will apply to all other regular-priced items in your purchase.
4. Sign up for Michaels Rewards to earn $5 vouchers.
Michaels Rewards is like other store loyalty programs in that you earn points on every dollar you spend. At Michaels, you earn 3% on everything, every day.
Here are some additional perks of the Michaels Rewards program:
- Spend over $300 over 12 months and you’ll earn 6%.
- You’ll also earn rewards when you buy certain promotional items. Sometimes the promotion isn’t specific to a certain product. You’ll just see an offer like: “Earn $5 in Rewards when you spend $25 or more.”
- Look for Rewards offers in the Michaels app under “Weekly Ad,” then tap “Michaels Rewards.”
- In-store, look for the Rewards flyer at the front of the store to see how you can earn rewards that day.
- You can earn up to $150 in Rewards per day. Michaels will email your $5 Rewards Voucher anytime you earn one. It’s basically a store credit that you can spend on your next Michaels purchase.
- In addition to earning Rewards Vouchers, you’ll get receipt-less returns, invitations to events, and be the first to know about upcoming Michaels sales.
TIP: Sign up for Michaels emails and get a 15% off coupon, too!
5. You can stack a Michaels coupon with a Rewards Voucher.
This may be the best way to stack coupons and make your own Michaels sales.
You’ll only be able to use one coupon (like a 20% off coupon) per item, but go ahead and use your Rewards Voucher, too.
Michaels will take off your coupon amount first, and then apply the Rewards Voucher to your purchase.
6. Download the Michaels app to always have the Michaels weekly ad on hand.
The Michaels weekly ad is organized by department and highlights the current deals in each department at a glance. The easiest way to check out the weekly ad is in the Michaels app (iOS / Android). You can just select a category, like Art Supplies, to jump to the latest deals.
TIP: Tap “Coupons” in the upper right-hand corner and you’ll get to see all the coupons available that day.
7. Shop Michaels sales for the deepest discounts on beads, frames, and holiday decor.
In addition to coupons, Michaels sales offer deep savings in all different categories. We looked back over the last year and found many notable Michaels sales to mention here. We even shared the exact week we found the deals so you know when to keep an eye on the Michaels sale schedule. You’ll want to mark your calendar if you’re in the market for any of these items:
Here’s what we’ve seen for the Michaels Sale Schedule:
- Jan. 1 -14, 2023
- Semi-Annual Clearance Event: 70% off Christmas decor, Christmas floral, Christmas ribbon, yarn, kids’ crafts, and more
- Organization Event: Up to 50% off organization bins, totes, cabinets, and more
- Jan. 1 – 14 and Jan. 22 – 28, 2023
- Cricut Maker 3 $50 off
- Jan. 1 – 7 and Jan. 29 – Feb. 4, 2023
- Stock Up Event: Up to 50% off yarn
- Feb. 12 – 20, 2023
- Maker Haul Stock Up & Save Big Sale: B3G3 free all yarn and strung beads, B1G2 free all Belmont frames and shadow boxes
- March 17 – 26, 2023
- Lowest Prices of the Season Sale: Cricut Joy and Cricut Hat Press ($99 each), 50% off all Cricut Materials, Mats, and Tools, Easter decor, baskets, baking, decorating, party supplies, Ashland Spring lighting, greenery, containers, floral, decor, and more
- April 16 – 22, 2023
- BOGO Blast Sale: BOGO free on select frames and canvases, BOGO 50% off on select Siser vinyl, Gildan T-shirts, Artist’s Loft, All Fine, and B2G1 free select Kids’ Activity sets
- May 1 – 7, 2022
- Made for Mom Event: BOGO free shadow boxes, display cases, jewelry beads, 50% off all floral, stems, and greenery, and more
- May 27 – June 4, 2022
- Red, White, and Blue Sale: 50% off all summer party and baking supplies, ribbon, and decor
- June 10 – 18, 2022
- Lowest Prices of the Season Event: B1G2 free studio Decor frames, shadow boxes, Artist’s Loft canvas, $2.99 Gildan T-shirts and crew necks, photo boxes, $99 Cricut Joy and more
- July 10 – 16, 2022
- Semi-Annual Clearance Event: 70% off frames, art supplies, yarn, baskets, florals, and more
- July 31 – Aug. 6 and Aug. 7 – 13, 2022
- BOGO 50% off Ashland Back-to-School Decor, 30% off B2C Bulletin Board Supplies, BOGO 50% off Sensory Play and Kid Made Modern
- Aug. 14 – 20 and Aug. 21 – 27, 2022
- Art & Frame BOGO Blast Sale: BOGO free Artist’s Loft Back Stapled & Gallery Canvas, Home Wall Frames, Belmont Frames and Shadow boxes, BOGO 50% off all artist paint and brushes, Creatology Art Supplies and more
- Sept. 21 – Oct. 1, 2022
- Lowest Prices of the Season Event: 50% – 70% off categories like wrapped canvas, frames and shadow boxes, beads, and fall floral
- Oct. 23 – 29, 2022
- Mega Monster Sale: 60% off Halloween decor
- Oct. 30 – Nov. 5, 2022
- The Great Big Tree Spree: 60% off all online Christmas trees
- Nov. 23 – 27, 2022
- Black Friday (see Tip #8)
- Nov. 28 – Dec. 6, 2022
- The Great Big Holiday Sale: Up to 50% off Christmas decor, Christmas floral, Christmas ribbon, garland, lanterns, lighting, ornaments, and party supplies
Related: Check out these Hobby Lobby hacks that’ll save you hundreds.
8. Don’t miss Michaels Black Friday deals — you can get a 7-foot artificial tree for less than $60!
The crown jewel of Michaels Black Friday sale is getting up to 70% off artificial Christmas trees. Best part? You don’t even need to go into the store! Order your tree at Michaels.com and get free shipping on orders over $49.
Also, Michaels offers Doorbusters on Cricut machines ($50 off two models: Cricut Maker 3, 9″x9″ Cricut EasyPress 2). While $50 off doesn’t seem like that big of a discount for Cricut, we’ve only seen this deep of a discount during Black Friday week and again in January during the Organization Event.
9. Follow Michaels holiday clearance schedule and wait to buy until you see 70% off.
The Michaels sales schedule is pretty predictable when it comes to holiday and seasonal markdowns — think of it like a clearance life cycle.
Items get stocked well ahead of the holiday and start to get minor markdowns shortly after that. Markdowns increase until the holiday passes, and then they explode. Once inventory is very low — it can be weeks, but more likely months — items go into a Grab Bag. Let’s look at Christmas as an example.
The day after Christmas, Michaels marks down Christmas clearance in stores and online for 60% – 80% off. But by mid-to-late January, Michaels’ in-store Christmas clearance hits 90% off, and that’s where the best deals are. Look for gift wrap, ornaments, and more for under $1 at Michaels stores.
10. Buy clearance toys from Michaels in January when they reach up to 90% off.
As a general rule, always use the in-store price checker to scan Michaels clearance items. This will tell you if they’re actually cheaper than the price you see on the tag.
This is how I’ve stumbled on clearance toys for up to 90% off, as the store was trying to offload their leftover Christmas items. These savings make toys one of the best things to buy at Michaels on sale!
11. Watch for sealed Michaels Grab Bags for $5 – $10 filled with clearance seasonal merchandise and home decor.
At the end of each season, watch for Grab Bags — or sealed boxes filled with seasonal items the store is hoping to unload. We’ve seen Grab Bags in February full of Christmas decor, ornaments, frosting, and more. In the fall, look for Grab Bags full of summer toys like bubbles and sidewalk chalk.
These Grab Bags are not guaranteed at the end of every season, but if your store has them, they’ll probably be in the front of the store. It’s a great deal when you compare the retail price of each item with the $5 – $10 you paid for the box!
Related: Let me show you how I built my gift stockpile for birthdays and weddings.
12. Colored clearance stickers tell employees when to move items into Grab Bags.
You’ll see many different colors of Michaels price stickers — pink, yellow, green, blue, etc. — and the sticker’s purpose is to help employees keep track of how long items have been on the floor. Depending on the rotation, when it’s time to fill Grab Bags, employees will round up all the yellow-stickered items, for example, and put them into that season’s Grab Bags.
Some clearance items have two different colors of stickers, one stuck on top of the other. This happens when employees decide to give certain items another markdown instead of putting them into Grab Bags for that round.
13. Check the “$0.99” bins at the front of the store for killer deals.
We say “0.99” in quotes because items can reach up to $7. But the bins are usually full of wrapping paper, notepads, pens, magnets, and seasonal decor.
Items in the bin are sold throughout the store at the same price. Michaels just rounds up a bunch of low-priced items and puts them in the front of the store for easy browsing. For example, we found tacky glue for $1.99 in the front-of-store bins. It was the same price in the craft section toward the back of the store (but I didn’t have to walk as far!).
14. Aim for at least 50% savings in the floral department.
Never buy anything full price from the floral department at Michaels, because you can always get 40% – 70% off, depending on when you shop. Items in the floral department are on sale at least one week out of every month, except for October. If you can wait for months with 50% off or more, that’s ideal!
Use this Michaels sale schedule for the floral department:
- January: 70% off Christmas floral
- February: 40% off spring floral
- March: 50% off spring floral
- April: 50% off spring floral
- May: 50% off summer floral
- June: 60% off summer floral
- July: 70% off spring and summer floral
- August: 40% off fall floral
- September: 50% off fall floral
- October: 60% off fall floral
- November: 50% off Christmas floral
- December: 50% off Christmas floral
15. Planning a wedding? Buy in bulk at Michaels and save up to 50%.
Shop the MichaelsPro Buy in Bulk website to find mason jars, frames, candles, and more up to 45% off regular price. Here are a few examples of how buying Michaels Pro Packs can save you money — even without shopping during Michaels sales.
Bulk Buy: Celebrate It Mini Mason Jars, 6 in a pack, 12 count, $72.60 ($12.10 per pack)
Bulk Savings: $9.89 per pack or 45% off
Bulk: Ashland 4″ x 6″ White Pillar Candle, $4.98
Bulk Savings: $4.01 per candle or 45% off
16. Teachers, military, and seniors can get a Michaels discount and save 10% – 15%.
Heads up though — you can’t combine a coupon with these discounts! And regular coupon exclusions apply.
So, the key here is to use your Michaels teacher discount of 15% only when you’d save more than you would by using a coupon, as these discounts are for entire purchases, rather than for just one item.
Follow these steps to get your Michaels discount:
- Teachers and seniors, sign up for Michaels Rewards and verify your educator ID (or age) online before you get to the cash register.
- Military personnel, show your military ID at the register. The military discount is available for active-duty military, veterans, and spouses.
- Teacher discount: 15% on classroom-related items
- Military discount: 15% on your entire purchase every day
- Senior discount: 10% on your entire purchase every day (55 years and older)
Related: Put your educator ID to good use with these top discounts and freebies for teachers.
17. Teachers, stack your savings and stock up on craft organization and supplies during the Michaels Back-to-School sale.
The back-to-school offers at Michaels are more geared toward teachers than parents. Educators can use their 15% discount on classroom sale items, making back-to-school- savings even greater.
18. Use Raise.com to save up to 6.8% on a Michaels gift card.
A discounted gift card isn’t a coupon, it’s a form of payment, so it always stacks with a coupon or a sale.
Sometimes people receive gift cards they know they won’t use, so they sell them to Raise, and Raise turns around and sells them to people like us who want them. But the best part is that Raise sells the gift cards for less than their face value. So you might pay $93.23 for a $100 gift card!
19. Sign up for free kids’ in-store or online events.
Kids can make everything from friendship bracelets to seasonal wreaths during Michaels’ free craft classes for kids. Events last two hours and run on Sundays in the afternoons. Find out how to join a free Zoom class at Michaels.com. Take a peek at some upcoming free kids’ in-store events:
Sunday Makebreak Events, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.:
- June 18, 2 – 4 p.m.: Woodburned Father’s Day Keychain
- June 25, 2 – 4 p.m.: Tie-Dye T-Shirt
- July 30, 2 – 4 p.m.: Sakura Gelly Roll Handmade Gift Tags
Related: Keep the freebies rolling with these things you can always get for free.
20. Get free crochet and knitting patterns.
Michaels offers free knitting and crocheting patterns throughout the yarn department so you can make pieces like scarves and blankets.
Patterns are for beginning projects, so just tear one off the hanging pad shamelessly — they’re completely free.
21. Use Michaels curbside pickup (it’s free!) to avoid going into the store.
Don’t want to go into Michaels? No problem. You can place an order on Michaels.com for curbside pickup. When your order is ready, you’ll receive an email from Michaels saying “come and get it!” The email includes a phone number for you to call when you arrive. Then, a Michaels associate will bring your items out to your car.
Michaels curbside pickup is available during store hours with a 5 p.m. cutoff time for same-day pickup Monday – Saturday, and a 3 p.m. cutoff time on Sunday.
When you’re shopping on Michaels.com, look for “Store Pickup” next to your item. This means the item is eligible for curbside pickup.
TIP: If you place your order before 3 p.m, you’ll probably be able to pick up your purchase that same day.
22. Or pay $7.99 – $9.99 for Michaels same-day delivery.
Also new is Michaels same-day delivery, which is available at select Michaels locations. You must place your order before 2 p.m. to get your items delivered that same day. Any orders after 2 p.m. will get delivered the next day.
It’ll cost you $9.99 for same-day delivery on orders up to $100, and $7.99 for orders over $100.24. Michaels return policy allows returns for up to two months, but no exchanges.
23. Ask for a price match at Michaels.
If you see an identical item at Michaels that’s cheaper at any brick-and-mortar retailer or any of the online stores listed below, Michaels will meet the competitor’s price.
Michaels will price match these online retailers:
Unfortunately, you can’t use a coupon at all — from a Michaels store or otherwise — on top of the price match. So make sure you choose whichever option gives you the best deal.
TIP: Take photos while shopping in competitor stores or screenshot online competitor prices to show a Michaels team member so you won’t need to haul around printed proof.
24. Michaels return policy allows returns for up to two months, but no exchanges.
On its face, Michaels return policy seems straightforward. You have 60 days (two months) to return an item to the store if you have the receipt and the item is in new and unused condition. That means the packaging is all intact and you didn’t open the item at all.
Without a receipt, the store will try to find your receipt information by looking it up in their database (using your Michaels Rewards account or the credit card you used). You’ll get your return in the form of store credit for the lowest selling price of the item over the past 90 days. Your item still has to be in brand-new condition, though.
Here’s the sticky part — Michaels does not offer exchanges at all. If you want to bring something in and get a different color or otherwise make an exchange, they will make you return the item and repurchase it. You can only apply coupons still valid on that day, so whatever discount, sale, or coupon you used when you first bought the item won’t be valid anymore. This means you could end up rebuying your item at full price.
To sum it up: Make sure you love what you buy and if you’re not certain, don’t remove tags or lose receipts!
25. Michaels employees get a 30% discount, plus you can use a coupon.
You can use your Michaels employee discount even during Michaels sales and events, plus you can use a coupon with your discount. The coupon is still subject to regular coupon exclusions, though. The only thing you can’t do with your employee discount is apply it to clearance items.
26. Sunday is the best day of the week to shop.
Michaels sales refresh every Sunday, and since Michaels doesn’t give rain checks on sale items, you should hit the store on the same day that new markdowns happen in order to make sure you get the best selection.