We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
It’s easy to overindulge in dollar store deals, which is why it’s good to know about the Dollar General return policy. For those times when you go overboard and end up with items that you realize later that you don’t need — you may be in luck. The Dollar General return policy is actually pretty reasonable.
Don’t fall into the trap of thinking, “it’s only a few bucks, I’m not going to bother trying to return” and get stuck with party supplies or household goods you’ll never use. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve grabbed some impulse buys because they were only a buck or two, only to have them end up in a closet somewhere. After studying the Dollar General return policy, I’m going to make sure that doesn’t happen for you!
Here’s a breakdown of what you need to know if you decide to return any Dollar General purchases.
And speaking of Dollar General, don’t miss our Dollar General deals and coupons to boost your savings even further!
Download The Krazy Coupon Lady app so you never miss out on the best tips and discounts.
The Ins and Outs of the Dollar General Return Policy
For a basic return — meaning you bought something, didn’t open it, and decide to bring it back — you can return it within 90 days of purchase. Ninety days is a pretty generous amount of time in the world of store return policies. Just note that you’ll have to make your return to the same Dollar General location where you made the purchase.
To get your money back, you’ll need to have your original receipt. If you don’t have your receipt, all is not lost, however. You can still make a return, but they’ll only let you exchange it for something of equal value or get a gift card for store credit.
Seasonal returns may not be covered under the regular Dollar General Return Policy.
If you love buying holiday decor, beach gear, and other seasonal merchandise, it may fall outside the regular Dollar General return policy. According to their website, some seasonal products can only be exchanged for identical items. If you need a different color or size of something, they may allow you to make a swap. But don’t expect to get your cash back at Dollar General with seasonal returns.
Related: How to Coupon at Dollar General
Online returns follow a whole different set of rules.
If you make a purchase online at Dollar General.com, you won’t be able to return your items to a physical Dollar General location. Your only option for online orders is to ship unused items back within 30 days. You also can’t return any food items or products classified as hazardous materials. If they accept your return, you’ll get a refund back to your original form of payment or a Dollar General gift card within 30 days.
As for what it’ll cost, you’re on the hook for the return postage. The only exception is if you are returning something due to a defect or shipping error — then you won’t be responsible for postage.
Always crunch the numbers to make sure it’s worth returning a Dollar General online purchase before you ship things back.
There are a few other exceptions to the return policy.
- Opened electronics, including CDs, DVDs, or software, can only be exchanged for identical titles.
- They don’t allow refunds or exchanges on tobacco products or propane cylinders. (You can make an exchange if you buy a defective propane cylinder, however.)
- To return alcoholic beverages, you must have the original purchase receipt, and they’ll only give you a refund — no exchanges.
How to Return Dollar General Items
To make a Dollar General store return:
- Bring your merchandise and original receipt to the same store location where you made the purchase.
- See a sales associate who will help you process the return.
Note: If you used DG Pickup when you made your purchase, you can use your “DG Pickup Complete” email and your order history in the DG app or on DG.com instead of a receipt.
To make DollarGeneral.com online returns:
- Get in touch with Dollar General Customer Care via email to receive a return address and authorization number. Without that number, you can’t complete a return.
- Pack up your items in the original packaging (if possible) along with everything that it came with. You must return items in good condition.
- Include the bottom portion of your original packing slip. Dollar General recommends that you make a copy for yourself first.
- Put the full return label on the largest side of the package, and make sure it covers up any other shipping labels (if reusing an old box).
- You can monitor your package status online using the Return Tracking Number.