We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
The Home Depot Spring Black Friday Sale is one of their best and biggest events of the year. That’s because when it comes to mulch, soil, pavers, plants, and annual flowers, the deals don’t get much better than what you’ll find at Home Depot during the sale.
I’ve studied and tracked Home Depot Spring Black Friday sales over the past several years to figure out the patterns, trends, and the very best deals to expect. While sale prices may look a bit different in 2023 thanks to inflation, you can expect the same kind of deals and discounts on popular Home Depot Garden Center items this year.
From Home Depot freebies, coupons, and the best things to buy during the 20-day (!) event, here’s everything you need to know to make the most of Home Depot’s Spring Sale this year.
- See all the best Home Depot coupons and deals available now.
- Download The Krazy Coupon Lady app and add Home Depot to your favorite stores. You’ll get the latest and greatest deals right on your phone.
- Check out our complete guide to Home Depot sale hacks.
- For more smart shopping tips and savings hacks, text HACKS to 57299.
1. Prediction: The Home Depot Spring Black Friday 2023 sale should start on Thursday, April 6.
Home Depot usually kicks off their big Spring Sale on the first Thursday in April. So for 2023, we predict the sale will start on Thursday, April 6. However, we are waiting for the official announcement from Home Depot to confirm this for 2023. As soon as we hear, we will let you know.
While the first wave of the sale only lasts for 10 days, the savings don’t stop there. You can expect another 10 days of deals starting on April 20.
That brings me to my next point …
2. In the past, Home Depot had two waves of deals during the Spring Sale.
We’ve found that the Home Depot Spring Sale generally comes in two waves. The first wave starts on Thursday, April 6, and the second starts on Thursday, April 20. Each wave lasts for about 10 days. So once the sale starts, we predict deals will run throughout the month of April.
Here’s how the Spring Sale played out last year:
- First Wave: Thursday, April 7 – Sunday, April 17, 2022
- Second Wave: Thursday, April 21 – Sunday, May 1, 2022
Related: Of course Lowe’s has their own version of the Home Depot Spring Black Friday Sale. Here’s what we know about the Lowe’s Spring Sale.
3. Sign up for certain Home Depot alerts to easily score 10% – 15% off your purchase.
During last year’s Spring Sale, Home Depot offered $5 off your next $50 in-store purchase when you signed up for Garden Club alerts. You could also join the Home Depot Garden Club and sign up for emails to get this deal. The coupon isn’t available right now, but it’s worth checking back as soon as April rolls around.
Otherwise, there are two main ways to grab a Home Depot coupon any time of year, which can pay off big during the Spring Sale:
- Join the Home Depot email list and get $5 off a $50 purchase.
- Sign up for Home Depot text alerts and earn a $5 off $50 coupon.
4. Two of the best 2022 deals at Home Depot were the $1.98 bags of Earthgro mulch and Miracle-Gro soil.
We can’t say for sure if this deal will be available in 2023, but for last year’s sale, Home Depot promoted a “5 for $10” deal on both Earthgro mulch and Miracle-Gro soil. But really, you only needed to buy one bag to get the sale price. Plus, each bag was actually priced at $1.98 — not $2. This deal could save you 46% on mulch and 54% on Miracle-Gro soil, which are the best discounts you’ll find all year.
The $1.98 bags were available during both waves of the sale, in stores and online.
Related: How can you tell if you’re getting a good price on mulch? Use our tips to save on mulch.
5. Look for low prices on concrete pavers — last year, they were $0.25 apiece.
Last year Holland Concrete Pavers were on sale for just $0.25 apiece (regularly $0.58 apiece), saving you 57%. It’s unclear whether Home Depot will dop a deal like this in 2023, but keep your eyes peeled for similar savings.
This deal was only available in stores during the second wave of the sale in 2022, so plan your shopping trip accordingly!
6. You may find some Home Depot freebies with your Spring Sale purchase.
During the last Spring Sale, Home Depot offered a few freebies with certain lawn and garden purchases. One of the best offers was a free HDX Multi-Purpose Sprayer (regularly $11.97) with a qualifying RoundUp weed killer purchase.
Other freebies from last year gave you no-cost refills with various purchases, like:
- Free Ortho Home Defense Refill (reg. $12.97) with any qualifying Home Defense purchase
- Free RoundUp Refill (reg. $19.97) with any qualifying RoundUp weed killer purchase (choose from three 1.33-gallon varieties)
We’re crossing our fingers for more freebies during the 2023 sale, but no news on whether these are coming back this year (yet).
7. In 2022, Home Depot dropped plant deals on annuals and Bonnie Veggie and Herb Plants.
Plants, of course, are an excellent buy during the Spring Sale. First off, you’ll want to head to the store for the best plant deals. There may be a few discounts online, but your nearest Home Depot Garden Center is where the real savings are.
For the last event, Home Depot had 4-inch annuals for just $0.88 (regularly $1.78). These were available for five days only during the first wave of the sale.
Another 2022 callout was the 3-for-$12 deal on 4.5-inch Bonnie Veggie & Herbs Plants. Again — you only had to buy one to get the $4 sale price per plant.
These were some other great plant deals from last year’s Spring Sale:
- Quart Geraniums: 3 for $10, or $3.33 each (reg. $5.98 each)
- Hanging Flower Baskets: $9.98 (reg. $14.98)
- 1.5 pt. Rio Dipladenia Shrubs: 3 for $12, or $4 each (reg. $5.98 each)
Prices may look a bit different in 2023, so you may not see the same offers from last year. However, we predict you’ll find similar plant deals at Home Depot this year.
Related: Here’s how to save on hanging flower baskets all year round.
8. The Home Depot Spring Sale is typically a great time to buy pricey outdoor planters.
It’s tough to find great prices on pretty outdoor planters. But in the past, Home Depot has made it possible to pay less with Spring Black Friday discounts.
We’ve seen a bunch of outdoor planters go on sale during previous Spring Sales, like 15″ x 10.6″ large terracotta clay planters for up to 67% off.
Also, this 20-inch Barrel Planter was just $14.98 (regularly $24.98) last year, giving you a 40% discount.
Here’s to hoping for low prices on planters in 2023!
9. Expect to spend at least $45 online to get Home Depot free shipping.
Home Depot gives you free shipping on $45 purchases year-round. We can’t say for sure whether Home Depot will run a special shipping promo for the spring sale this year, so expect the normal free shipping offer to apply.
You could always shop online and opt for free store pickup, but as I said — the best deals are in stores anyway. So why miss out?
10. Remember, you can return dead plants to Home Depot for up to a year!
Yep! All perennials, trees, and shrubs have a 1-year guarantee under the Home Depot return policy. That means you can return them a whole 365 days later. Even if they’re dead.
Just be sure to hold on to your receipt if you’re feeling a return is in your future. You’ll need to show your original receipt when you return a plant to the store, no matter how long ago you bought it. Personally, my reputation for keeping plants alive isn’t great, so I keep all my Home Depot receipts safe in a special drawer.