We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
It’s here — the Home Depot Spring Black Friday Sale, aka one of their biggest events of the year. That’s because when it comes to mulch, soil, pavers, and plants, the deals don’t get much better than what you’ll find at Home Depot during the sale, which kicked off on Thursday, April 13. The sale will last through May 3.
I’ve studied and tracked Home Depot Spring Black Friday sales over the past several years to figure out the patterns, trends, and the very best deals to shop in 2023. Think $2 mulch and soil, $3 perennials, $4 veggie plants, and so. much. more.
From Home Depot freebies, coupons, and the best things to buy during the event, here’s everything you need to know to make the most of Home Depot’s Spring Sale this year.
- See all the best Home Depot coupons and deals available now.
- Download The Krazy Coupon Lady app and add Home Depot to your favorite stores. You’ll get the latest and greatest deals right on your phone.
- Check out our complete guide to Home Depot sale hacks.
- For more smart shopping tips and savings hacks, text HACKS to 57299.
1. The Home Depot Spring Black Friday 2023 sale started on Thursday, April 13.
Home Depot didn’t stick to their typical spring sale pattern in 2023. While the sale usually kicks off on the first Thursday in April, Home Depot started their Spring Black Friday sale on Thursday, April 13, 2023, this year. The second wave of deals will happen from April 27 – May 3, 2023.
Home Depot also released a Spring Black Friday Preview from March 23 – April 2, 2023, with a few sneak peek deals on top Garden Center items. But the main sale went live on April 13.
2. Home Depot usually has two waves of deals during their Spring Black Friday Sale.
We’ve found that the Home Depot Spring Sale generally comes in two waves, and each wave lasts for about 8 -10 days.
Here’s how Home Depot broke out their Spring Black Friday sale in 2023:
- First Wave: April 13 – 23, 2023
- Second Wave: April 27 – May 3, 2023
Related: Lowe’s has their own version of the Home Depot Spring Black Friday Sale. Here’s what we know about the Lowe’s Spring Sale.
3. Sign up for certain Home Depot alerts to easily score 10% – 15% off your purchase.
During last year’s Spring Sale, Home Depot offered $5 off your next $50 in-store purchase when you signed up for Garden Club alerts. You could also join the Home Depot Garden Club and sign up for emails to get this deal. The coupon isn’t available right now, but it’s worth checking back as soon as April rolls around.
Otherwise, there are two main ways to grab a Home Depot coupon any time of year, which can pay off big during the Spring Sale:
- Join the Home Depot email list and get $5 off a $50 purchase.
- Sign up for Home Depot text alerts and earn a $5 off $50 coupon.
4. Two of the best 2023 deals at Home Depot will be the $2 bags of Earthgro mulch and Miracle-Gro soil.
You’ll be able to pick up a 1.5-cubic foot bag of Scott’s Earthgro Mulch for $2 during the Home Depot Spring Black Friday sale.
Home Depot is promoting a “5 for $10” deal on both Earthgro mulch and Miracle-Gro soil. But really you only needed to buy one bag to get the sale price. Each bag is usually priced at $1.98 — not $2. This deal could save you 46% on mulch and 54% on Miracle-Gro soil, which are the best discounts you’ll find at Home Depot all year.
The $1.98 bags will be available in stores and online throughout the length of the sale.
Related: How can you tell if you’re getting a good price on mulch? Use our tips to save on mulch.
5. Holland Concrete Pavers will once again be $0.25 apiece in 2023.
Home Depot’s bringing back the “4 for $1” deal on concrete pavers in their 2023 Spring Black Friday Sale. This deal will be available from April 13 – 23.
6. Score free gifts with purchase during the sale, like a free bag of Scotts Ultrafeed with a Qualifying Scotts Turfbuilder purchase.
Home Depot always throws out a freebie or two for their Spring Black Friday Sale. In 2023 you can get a free 20-pound bag of Scotts UltraFeed when you buy a bag of Scotts Triple Action Lawn Fertilizer. Together, both bags would cost you $77.94. But with this freebie, you’ll only have to pay $34.97 for both bags. That saves you a whopping 55%!
7. Look for plant deals on annuals, perennials, and Bonnie Veggie and Herb Plants.
Plants, of course, are an excellent buy during the Spring Black Friday Sale. First off, you’ll want to head to the store for the best plant deals. There may be a few discounts online, but your nearest Home Depot Garden Center is where the real savings are.
For the 2023 sale, Home Depot dropped a bunch of deals on quart perennials, pansies, and Bonnie Vegetable & Herb Plants.
- 3 for $12 Quart Perennials (Aquilegia, Bellis, and More) – $4 (reg. $4.98)
- 2 for $10 Mojave Pansy Planter – $5 (reg. $9.98)
- 4 for $5 Pansies – $1.25 (reg. $2.48)
- 3 for $12 Bonnie Vegetable & Herb Plants – $4 (reg. $5.78)
There’s really no better time to score prices like these. So if you have plans to refresh or create a new garden or planting bed this year, don’t miss these limited-time plant deals!
Related: Home Depot is selling a Classic Pansy Hanging Basket for $13.98, but we’ve seen better deals. Here’s how to save on hanging flower baskets all year round.
8. The Home Depot Spring Sale is typically a great time to buy pricey outdoor planters.
It’s tough to find great prices on pretty outdoor planters. But in the past, Home Depot has made it possible to pay less with Spring Black Friday discounts.
We’ve seen a bunch of outdoor planters go on sale during previous Spring Sales, like 15″ x 10.6″ large terracotta clay planters for up to 67% off.
Also, this 20-inch Barrel Planter was just $14.98 (regularly $24.98) last year, giving you a 40% discount.
9. Expect to spend at least $45 online to get Home Depot free shipping.
Home Depot gives you free shipping on $45 purchases year-round.
You could always shop online and opt for free store pickup, but as I said — the best deals are in stores anyway. So why miss out?
10. Remember, you can return dead plants to Home Depot for up to a year!
Yep! All perennials, trees, and shrubs have a 1-year guarantee under the Home Depot return policy. That means you can return them a whole 365 days later. Even if they’re dead.
Just be sure to hold on to your receipt if you’re feeling a return is in your future. You’ll need to show your original receipt when you return a plant to the store, no matter how long ago you bought it. Personally, my reputation for keeping plants alive isn’t great, so I keep all my Home Depot receipts safe in a special drawer.