These homemade air freshener ideas will fill your home with all the fantastic aromas — and cost hardly anything! No more Febreze and no more pricey candles (although, we’ve found the best air freshener deals around if that’s your jam). Instead, use these homemade air fresheners to make your house smell good for cheap.
1. Keep closets smelling fresh with tea bags as natural air fresheners.
Tie a few black tea bags to your closet rod and they’ll be the perfect air freshener, soaking up any musty odors. You can use cinnamon or vanilla black tea to add a subtle fragrance as well!
2. Essential oil and pine cones is all you need for this homemade air freshener.
Add one or two drops of your favorite essential oil per pine cone, then set them in a decorative basket.
TIP: Bake your pine cones in the oven for 20 minutes at 200 degrees to get rid of any bugs first.
3. Make a DIY air freshener with sea salt and citrus rinds.
Scoop out the insides of lemons and limes with a knife or spoon, and fill the halves with sea salt.
Add cloves or fresh herbs for extra scent, then place anywhere you need bad odors absorbed.
4. Make your own room spray with essential oil, vodka, and water.
Learn how to make your room smell good with vodka! No, really.
Mix one cup distilled water and 1/2 cup vodka with 10 drops of essential oil, and store in a spray bottle. The vodka sanitizes while the essential oil freshens. No need to spring for the “good stuff” — use the cheapest vodka you can find. It all works the same for this.
Tip: Vodka coupons are rare, but there are usually alcohol deals for hard seltzers, beer, and wine.
5. Wrap cinnamon sticks around a pillar candle for an easy homemade air freshener.
Secure the cinnamon sticks with a rubber band, then wrap twine around to make it pretty.
Breathe in the spicy cinnamon-ness.
6. Make your house smell like Pottery Barn with rosemary and lemon.
This is one of my favorite air fresheners for home. Simmer a few sprigs of fresh rosemary with vanilla extract, water, and lemon slices.
Note: You might need to bring this to a rolling boil first to activate the scent.
Need new pots? We’ve got cookware deals for daysss.
7. Absorb smells and catch drips in a trash can with newspaper.
Because garbage cans get gross.
(You can even put some drops of essential oils on it for even better-smelling results.)
8. Melt coconut oil and spices in a wax burner for a natural air freshener.
Try 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. This natural air freshener combo smells like fall, you guys.
9. Fill a bowl with rice and add a few drops of essential oil for an easy homemade air freshener.
This works really well to release a subtle scent over several days.
10. Use a dryer sheet in your luggage to keep clothes smelling fresh.
Because it’s nice to take a clean smell with you when you leave, too.
11. Put a few drops of essential oil into your toilet paper roll.
You’ll need to do this daily to keep the scent going.
Psstt…need more TP? Use these toilet paper coupons.
12. Put tea light candles and coffee beans into a small mason jar.
The heat of the tea light will make the whole room smell like fresh coffee.
TIP: Use vanilla or cinnamon coffee beans to mix up the fragrance of your homemade air freshener.
13. Freeze lemons in vinegar to freshen your garbage disposal.
Let it melt overnight and then grind the lemons in the morning. Do this once a week to keep unpleasant scents at bay.
14. Put a few drops of essential oil on your furnace filter every time you change it.
This is how to make your room smell good the easy way. Peppermint is a wonderful scent to use for this!
15. Secure dryer sheets to the back of your A/C vents.
Use tape or tuck the edges beneath the diffuser. Let the air flow move the scent through your home.
Save on dryer sheets with these Bounce deals.
16. Boil cinnamon sticks, apple peels, orange rinds, and whole cloves in water.
Need another easy room air freshener?! This is extra lovely around the holidays.
17. Place a bowl of plain oats in your fridge.
Since oats are naturally absorbent, they’ll soak up stinky smells like a sponge.
18. Baking vanilla extract is one of the easiest homemade air fresheners for home.
Pour about two tablespoons of vanilla extract into an oven-safe dish or mug, and bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.
19. Clip a car air freshener to your home’s vent.
Yep, I said car air freshener. It will distribute the scent throughout the room.
Check these Febreze coupons before you shop.
20. Put a drop or two of essential oil on cotton balls, and place them around your house.
Place the cotton balls in dresser drawers, pillowcases, in between couch cushions, and in bathroom cabinets.
21. Mix citrus fruits with pineapple and coconut extract for a summer-worthy scent.
Slice your citrus then add a can of pineapple juice and 1 tablespoon of coconut extract. Bring everything to a simmer, and it will smell like summer thanks to this easy homemade air freshener.
22. Fill a bowl with vinegar and place it in a room that needs refreshing.
Vinegar does an amazing job at neutralizing odors.
23. Hang eucalyptus sprigs in your shower for a natural, homemade air freshener.
Get fresh eucalyptus at your local florist or greenhouse for a few dollars. Tie two to three sprigs to your showerhead.
When the heat and steam from your shower hit the eucalyptus, the natural essentials oils will be released.