We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Sure, you already use coconut oil to cook with and in your hair.
But did you know you can use it on pets, babies and stretch marks? Oh my.
Take a look at these 23 insane uses for coconut oil:
1. Make all-natural vapor rub with coconut oil and eucalyptus oil.
Rub coconut oil and eucalyptus oil on your chest or feet to clear congestion when you’re sick.
2. Clean a clumpy mascara brush.
Get rid of clumpy buildup in your mascara by soaking your brush in coconut oil for five minutes. Use your fingers to remove clumps.
3. Use coconut oil if you’re a nursing mom to prevent cracking and irritation on nipples.
4. Mix coconut oil with baking soda and essential oil for whitening toothpaste.
Mix one part coconut oil with one part baking soda. Add 3-5 drops of an essential oil — like sweet orange or peppermint to flavor. Allow the paste to cool and set before using.
5. Make healthy Magic Shell ice cream topping.
Use semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate or dark chocolate if you prefer that. Melt equal parts coconut oil and chocolate chips in the microwave, mix, and pour over ice cream.
6. Use coconut oil to prevent razor burn, ingrown hairs or other skin irritation.
Use pure coconut oil as your shaving “cream.” Warm a dab in the palm of your hands, and rub on your face, underarms, legs, or the bikini area and then shave.
Rinse well, and pat dry.
7. Make DIY insect repellent with citronella essential oil and coconut oil.
The most common essential oils that make insect repellents include: citronella, lemongrass, rosemary, spearmint, geranium, thyme and clove.
Use 1 ½ cups of coconut oil and add 20-30 drops of citronella oil. Mix well and store in the fridge until firm.
8. Combine baking soda, coconut oil and essential oils to make a natural deodorant.
You’ll need ⅓ cup coconut oil, ¼ cup baking soda, ¼ cup arrowroot powder, 4 tablespoons cornstarch and 5-10 drops of essential oils (completely optional).
First, heat the coconut oil in the microwave until liquid. Then, mix the baking soda, arrowroot powder and cornstarch in a bowl. Add the coconut oil and essential oils of your choice to the dry ingredients; blend. Store in an old, cleaned out deodorant tube or jar.
9. Mix coconut oil with baking soda for a non-toxic “Goo Gone.”
Mix together one part baking soda with one part melted coconut oil — sweet orange essential oil is optional.
10. Soothe diaper rash, cradle cap or eczema.
Use one tablespoon and rub coconut oil into your baby’s skin. Apply every day if needed.
11. Condition your wood cutting boards.
Use food grade coconut oil to condition your wood cutting boards. Use one teaspoon and spread it into the entire cutting board, making sure you’re rubbing in the direction of the grain.
Apply three or four coats and let dry for about six hours.
12. Swallow coconut oil to ease the pain of a sore throat or cough.
Swallow ½ teaspoon of coconut oil three times a day to ease the pain of a sore throat or cough.
13. Use coconut oil to soothe chicken pox, shingles or other skin irritations.
14. Extend the life of your eggs up to 1-2 weeks.
Use coconut oil to seal an egg’s pores and prolong the life of eggs in your refrigerator. This should extend the life of your eggs for 1-2 weeks.
15. Wash makeup off your face with coconut oil and a damp washcloth.
16. Let coconut oil soothe and heal sunburns.
Coconut oil is surprisingly an all natural sunscreen AND sunburn remedy.
If you happen to get too much sun, use coconut oil to soothe the pain and promote healing.
17. Prevent and get rid of stretch marks.
Take this tip with a grain of salt.
To prevent stretch marks, apply coconut oil to your growing baby belly as soon as you start growing. If you already have stretch marks, still use coconut oil to prevent them from getting worse. You may be able to reduce the appearance over time.
Coconut oil helps fade dark marks, skin discoloration and redness as it hydrates the skin and promotes healing.
18. Prevent hair balls by putting coconut oil on your cat’s paws or letting them lick a spoonful.
Put half a teaspoon of coconut oil onto your cat’s paws, or let them lick a spoonful to keep their coat shiny and prevent hair balls.
19. Brush your dog’s teeth with coconut oil to promote dental health.
20. Treat lice and dandruff.
If your child is battling lice — rinse their hair with apple cider vinegar, let dry, and apply coconut oil to the scalp. Coat the hair clear to the ends, and let sit for 12-24 hours. Brush through with a fine comb, then wash hair.
Or, if you suffer from dandruff and dry scalp, apply coconut oil to your roots and massage into your scalp to moisturize. Let sit, then wash hair and style as usual.
21. Clean makeup brushes.
Get a spoonful of coconut oil and microwave. Dip and swirl the brush in the warmed coconut oil before swirling onto a paper towel. Keep doing this until any residual color is gone.
22. Remove gum from hair or furniture.
Apply coconut oil to the gum and the area surrounding. If it’s in your hair, gently pull the hair away from the gum, and use more coconut oil if needed.
23. Polish stainless steel.
Grab a microfiber cloth, and use a small amount of coconut oil on stainless steel appliances.