We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Running out of space in your home?
Use these 33 sneaky small-space storage and organization hacks to reclaim your space. And if you need more cheap storage solutions, check out these storage deals.
1. Store extra sheets and pillowcases under your mattress.
Fold your extra sheets and store them between the mattress and the box spring (if you have one). You shouldn’t feel any lumps or bumps.
2. Buy an ottoman with hidden storage.
3. Convert IKEA spice racks into bookshelves.
Get a few spice racks from IKEA for $3.99 each, and repurpose them into bookshelves for the kiddos.
They’re originally a light wood, so make them your own and paint them your favorite color. Then, put the spice racks together and mount them to the wall. Voila — bookshelves!
4. Use stick-on pods to store cosmetics.
Now you can store and hide away different cosmetics from nail polish to eyeshadow that are taking up space in drawers or on a bathroom counter.
You can find these stick-on pods at The Container Store for $9.99.
5. Store bathroom necessities in a cutlery organizer.
Store hair clips and hair ties, toothbrushes, toothpaste and so much more in a cutlery organizer.
6. Use a tension rod to organize and declutter your shower.
To get this look, you’ll need a tension rod that fits your shower and S-hooks with/or without clips.
7. Double your closet space by adding an extra clothing item to soda can tabs.
This trick saves so much closet space — and it’s easy. There are times where I’ll stack up to five hangers on one.
Say hello to more closet space!
8. Stagger two tension rods to create a shoe holder.
Give yourself some extra space when you stack multiple tension rods.
9. Use a shoe organizer in your pantry to store water bottles.
If you are a water bottle hoarder like I am, you’ll find this extremely useful.
10. Or, turn magazine files into water bottle and canned food holders.
11. Use a tension rod to organize spices in a drawer.
12. Or, use a tension rod as a small shelf to hold spices in your cupboard.
This trick will help utilize every square inch of your cupboard space.
13. Keep foil, plastic wrap, and zip-bag boxes together in a magazine organizer.
14. Or, make rolls of foil and plastic wrap easily accessible on the inside of your cabinet.
Measure the width of the box before sticking on the hooks. The hooks will bend just enough to allow the foil or plastic wrap boxes to fit in place.
15. Keep toothbrushes in a medicine cabinet with small Command hooks turned on their sides.
16. Place eyeshadow singles in an ice cube tray to easily see all the shades at once.
17. Stack plastic storage bins, and fill them up with small essential items.
18. Use a tension rod to hang and organize scarves.
This is by far the easiest and most organized way to hang winter scarves. Do as many or as few rows as you’d like!
19. Put your washer and dryer on a pedestal for added space underneath.
You can build your own if you’re feeling up to it — or go the easy route and use an old coffee table instead.
20. Hang a sturdy curtain rod over a window, and attach pots with S-hooks.
21. Ditch the knife block for a magnetic knife strip for added counter space.
Find a stainless steel magnetic knife rack at IKEA for $8.99.
22. Use mesh shelves inside cabinets for extra storage.
Maximize every square inch of your cupboard space with extra shelving.
23. Organize shower accessories with Command hooks.
Buy waterproof hooks for the best results.
24. Invest in an over-the-toilet space saver.
There are plenty of options out there for over-the-toilet storage. You’ll be sure to find one that works for you for under $50.
This particular one is only $20 from Walmart.
25. Place a rack over your sink.
Give yourself more countertop and cabinet space by keeping your dishes, towels, and soaps on an over-the-sink rack.
26. Create more space under your sink by hanging spray bottles.
Double the space under your sink when you use a tension rod to hang spray bottles.
27. Store beauty items behind your bathroom door.
Keep hair spray, lotion, perfume, etc. organized and easily accessible. I’ve been doing this for years — simply genius.
28. Hang tank tops from shower rings to maximize closet space.
29. Hang styling tools on the inside of bathroom cabinets.
30. Use velcro to store your remote controls.
Attach velcro to remotes or game controllers. You’ll never lose them, and they’ll stay organized.
31. Install towel racks on the back of your door for added bathroom space.
32. Elevate your bed for extra storage underneath.
Find bed risers on Amazon for about $10. Then, you can keep plastic totes under your bed for added storage.
33. Repurpose a wine rack and use it to store towels.
Really any type of wine holder will work to hold hand towels or body towels. Not only does it save space, but it gives the bathroom some added character.