We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Not only do these Thanksgiving Oreo pretzel turkeys look good, but this idea makes for a great entry-level baking experience for kids.
I’ll be honest, making these Thanksgiving Oreo turkeys used to cost under $5 (over five years ago). I won’t blame inflation solely, but the rising food prices have made DIY desserts a challenge.
Don’t fear though! Using coupons and shopping at stores with the lowest prices — like Walmart and Aldi — can curb the cost of ingredients. A trip to Dollar Tree can help you save on the vegetable oil and chocolate chips. As long as you’re in the baking mood, try these mini pumpkin pie cupcakes.
We’ve broken down the recipe with the costs for the entire recipe items (using Walmart prices) and what it would cost to make 12 Thanksgiving Oreo turkeys.
Ingredients for Thanksgiving Oreo Pretzel Turkeys
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips ($2.32, 12-ounce bag) – $0.70
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil ($3.47, 48-ounce bottle) – $0.87
12 fudge-covered Oreo cookies ($3.78, 7.9-ounce box) – $3.78 (use Nabisco coupons)
36 chocolate-covered pretzels ($3.48, 7.5-ounce bag) – $2.63
24 candy eyeballs ($3.22, 0.88-ounce container) – $3.22
12 pieces candy corn ($2.68, 16-ounce bag) – $0.22
Thanksgiving Oreo Turkeys Recipe
- Melt chocolate chips and vegetable oil for 30 seconds in a small microwave-safe bowl. Remove and stir. Continue cooking in 30-second increments until chips are melted.
- Assemble cookies using chocolate like glue. Spread on the back of each Oreo and attach three pretzels in a fan pattern to look like feathers.
- Dip the backs of eyeballs and candy corn in chocolate and stick to the front of the “turkey” to make a face.
- Place finished turkeys on a plate and cool in the refrigerator for one hour to allow chocolate to set.
Yields: 12 cookies
Total Cost: $11.42 per serving, $18.95 for groceries
Thanksgiving Oreo Turkey Recipe Under $5
To make this a kid-friendly snack under $5, use a 4-pack of Oreos from Walgreens ($1.99), Brach’s candy corn from Dollar Tree ($1.25) for the feathers, and Pillsbury vanilla frosting for the eyes ($1.25).
- Carefully untwist the Oreo and place five candy corn pieces at the top (for the feathers). Use a bit of vanilla frosting to secure them in place.
- Replace the cookie top.
- Use the frosting to make two small dots on the front of the Oreo to make the eyes.
If you happen to have any chocolate chips, use two for pupils.