…And I’m not talking about free store pickup or “spend this much to get free shipping.”
Chances are good you don’t know these little free shipping gems.
Check it out:
1. Add “pre-order” items to your Amazon order to get free standard shipping if you’re not a Prime member.
If you don’t have an Amazon Prime membership, there is a hidden way to meet Amazon’s $25 threshold for free shipping, without spending $25.
Just add pre-order items to your shopping cart, check out, and then cancel the pre-order item. It works because you don’t pay for pre-order items until they actually ship, which takes around 30 days. Check it out:
- Add a pre-order item to your shopping cart (a good place to look is in the video game section).
- Add the item you actually want to buy; make sure that your total of pre-order items + the actual item you want is $25 or more.
- Press “buy.” Don’t worry — you won’t get charged for your pre-order items unless they ship.
- Wait for your actual items to ship, then cancel your pre-order items, free of charge.
You can also get an entire month of free two-day shipping when you sign up for Amazon Prime. Just remember to cancel your subscription if you don’t want to continue it.
2. Buy any beauty product and get free shipping on your whole Macys.com order.
Add one single beauty item — cheapest is an I’m Real Sheet facial mask for $3.00 — to your Macy’s.com shopping cart, and get free shipping on your whole order (If that’s out of stock, a set of 2 Burt’s Bees lip balm is only $5.80.)
This works because shipping at Macys.com is $10.95. Paying for a cheap beauty item instead of paying for shipping is a no-brainer.
3. Place an order at a Kohl’s kiosk, and ship it to your home (or someone else’s) for free.
4. Get free shipping from Target.com with the Target REDcard.
The Target REDcard isn’t a credit card. It’s a debit card, and there are no fees to sign up–just 5% savings and free shipping from Target.com. Carrying a REDcard also gets you an extra 30 days to return purchases.
5. Get free shipping from REI if you live too far from a retail store.
REI offers free shipping on orders over $50 or free “ship to store.” If you don’t live close enough to an REI to use the free ship-to-store option (not close enough = at least an hour away with no traffic), you can live chat a customer service rep and ask for free shipping to your home instead.
6. Get free shipping all year at Sephora when you sign up for Sephora flash.
Sephora flash costs $10, but wait — you get free shipping for an entire year on everything from Sephora.com. Everything. Shipping is $5.95 for orders under $50, so if you spend over $100 at Sephora every year, this will save you money.