We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
My kids loved helping me paint these rustic American flower pots.
You can even plant red, white, and blue flowers to match your Fourth of July party theme!
It only took six simple steps:
1. Get your supplies together.
- One terra-cotta flower pot
- Painter’s tape
- Star-shaped stickers (found at the craft store)
- Red, white and blue craft paint
- Plaster of Paris (for making DIY chalk paint)
- Plastic cups
- Spoons for mixing paint
- Foam brushes
2. Mix chalk paint then paint the pot white.
To make DIY chalk paint, mix one cup of acrylic craft paint (red, white and blue each done separately), four tablespoons of Plaster of Paris and two tablespoons of warm water.
Next, paint the entire terra-cotta pot with the white paint you just mixed. When it’s dry, apply the painter’s tape in stripes. Its okay if the stripes aren’t perfect — that’ll help you achieve more of a rustic look!
3. Paint red stripes on the terra-cotta pot.
Paint the stripes on the bottom-half red, leaving a stripe at the top for blue paint.
4. Place star stickers on the top stripe and paint over them with blue chalk paint.
Once the red paint is dry, place star-shaped stickers around the top stripe, and paint over them with the blue chalk paint.
5. Add a rustic texture by sanding down the pot.
After you remove the tape and stickers, make it a bit more rustic by sanding the painted surface very lightly with sandpaper.
6. Plant your favorite summer flowers and enjoy.
UP NEXT: 22 Ways to Throw an Epic America Party