After-Christmas sales are a retailer’s last chance to get everything that’s red and green or merry and bright off the shelves to make room for Valentine’s Day merch.
Since inventories are still low due to the pandemic — and because Black Friday deals in October had items flying off the shelves early — there won’t be too much left over to sift through after Dec. 25. Your best bet is to jump on these clearance deals immediately after Christmas. I’m thinking we may even see markdowns a few days BEFORE Christmas. So stay sharp, and sign up for deal alerts through The Krazy Coupon Lady app to spot the trends.
We rounded up the best after-Christmas sales from 2020 so you know what to look for, and to help you save serious cash (like up to 90% off regular priced items). The best part? It’s not all just Christmas lights and candy canes — not by a long shot! You’ll find toys, clothes, books, makeup sets, and more for a hefty discount.
1. Get the best deals from Walmart after-Christmas sales on Dec. 31.
Walmart notoriously marks down Christmas decorations to 75% off after Christmas.
In 2020, Walmart offered 50% off Christmas decor on Dec. 26, but those discounts rose to 75% just five days later. Don’t forget that clearance varies by location. Last year, the signage at my store hadn’t been updated and still showed 50% off, so make sure you price check.
In the days after Christmas, stop by Walmart for deep discounts on Christmas lights, ornaments, and more for as low as $0.49. Some of the deals in 2020 were:
- Holiday Time Mini Lights: $4.20 (reg. $16.82)
- Christmas Lightshow Projector: $4.97 (reg. $19.88)
- Holiday Time Tablecloth: $0.99 (reg. $3.96)
Either way, you won’t have to wait two weeks for big discounts. I’m thinking Walmart might be my first stop after Christmas this year.
See all Walmart deals.
2. Buy Christmas decor at Target when it goes on clearance for 90% off.
Wrapping paper, decorations, and holiday trees at Target typically hit 90% off in the weeks following Christmas.
In 2020, Target announced 70-90% off Christmas Clearance on Dec. 29. At my Target store, all the normal holiday items were 70% off, food was 50% off, and Dollar Spot items (hidden in the seasonal section) were 90% off the regular price.
This clearance is in stores only, but you can check what’s in stock at your local Target with the Brickseek Inventory Tracker before you head to the store.
In 2020, some of the best markdowns in Target’s Christmas clearance were :
- Opalhouse Christmas Cheer Candle: $3 (reg. $10)
- SLAY Holiday Socks: $0.10 (reg. $1)
- Carter’s Christmas PJ set: $3.89 (reg. $12.99)
Don’t forget: Target’s inventory is lower than normal lately. If you have your heart set on something specific, you might want to grab it the day after Christmas even though discounts are closer to 50% off. If you prefer to wait for bigger price drops, brace yourself for slim pickings (if any).
See all Target deals.
3. Don’t miss Home Depot’s Christmas tree clearance for up to 75% off artificial trees.
If your artificial Christmas tree is on its last legs, you’ll want to head over to HomeDepot.com in the days after Christmas. One of the BEST times to buy a Christmas tree is right after Christmas, even though it’s probably the last thing you’re thinking about.
In 2020, Home Depot announced their Christmas tree clearance on Dec. 30. These deals were only available online, but still. You could save hundreds of dollars on a quality Christmas tree. Check out some of the deals from last year:
- 7.5 ft Lachlan Balsam Fir Slim LED Pre-Lit Artificial Christmas Tree with 460 Color Changing Lights with 7 Functions: $124.75 (reg. $499)
- 7.5 ft Lachlan Balsam Fir Slim LED Pre-Lit Artificial Christmas Tree with 460 Color Changing Lights with 7 Functions: $174.75 (reg. $699)
- 9 ft Chelsey Balsam Fir LED Pre-Lit Artificial Christmas Tree with 1100 SureBright Warm White Lights: $224.75 (reg. $899)
See all Home Depot deals.
4. Shop the Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sale for 75% off.
Listen up, friends, because this event is DEFINITELY something to write home about. The Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sale is a personal favorite and here’s why:
The sale historically starts on Dec. 26 and lasts just over three weeks. In the past, savings included 75% off fragrances online and in store, but Bath & Body Works broke that pattern in 2020.
Last year, the winter semi-annual sale featured 75% savings in store but only 50% savings online. However, on the last two days of the 2020 sale, online prices were updated to 50-75% off.
You’ll find the best deals on overstocked fragrances, including classic, seasonal, and discontinued scents. Some of the best deals from 2020 were:
- Body care for $4.95 (reg. $13.50-$15.50)
- Wallflowers for $3.50 (reg. $7.50)
- Hand soap as low as $3.75 (reg. $7.50)
- 3-wick candles as low as $11.95 (reg. $24.50)
Overall, your best bet is to shop in store — right now, Bath & Body Works doesn’t offer free shipping, so you’ll have to pay a $5.99 flat-rate shipping fee if you shop online. Plus, if the winter sale is anything like last year, you might find better deals in store.
See all Bath & Body Works deals.
5. Save at least 65% on winter apparel and accessories during Kohl’s after-Christmas sales.
Kohl’s starts discounting winter apparel right after Christmas to make room for spring merchandise. You’ll find deep discounts on winter apparel at Kohl’s with sales running through January.
Last year, Kohl’s marked down winter accessories to at least 65% off, plus an additional 15% off when you signed up for Kohl’s sales alerts. Some of the best deals in 2020 started on New Year’s day and included:
- Winter gloves as low as $8 (with 15% discount: $6.80)
- Winter hats as low as $5.60 (with15% discount: $4.76)
- Winter scarves as low as $7.47 (with 15% discount: $6.35)
Stock up on winter jackets and accessories for next year to avoid paying full price in the fall! Be sure to size up if you’re buying for your kids.
See all Kohl’s Deals.
6. Save up to 50% on leftover holiday gift sets from Ulta.
By the time Dec. 26 hits, Ulta is itching to rid their shelves of all the remaining holiday-themed gift sets. Ulta doesn’t run these sales at the same time every year, but you can expect a variety of deep discounts running through mid-January.
Last year, Ulta waited until Jan. 8 to offer 50% off holiday gift sets. But just before that (in the last week of December 2020), you could buy stocking stuffers at Ulta for as low as $0.49, or shop Ulta’s Jumo Love Event for 1-Liter hair care up to 40% off.
Plus, Ulta always puts out some type of after-Christmas coupon. Whether it’s 20% off, $5 off a $10 purchase, or $3.50 off a $15 purchase, you can pretty much plan to stack sale prices with a coupon.
See all Ulta deals.
7. Shop Tarte Cosmetics’ end-of-year sale for 70% off premium makeup products.
We were shocked (but stoked) that this luxury beauty brand offered such amazing after-Christmas deals in 2020.
Last year, Tarte Cosmetics dropped crazy after-Christmas markdowns on Dec. 27, offering up to 70% off palettes and gift sets through Jan. 2. Even better, Tarte offered an additional 20% off at checkout with promo code “SALE,” and free shipping on orders of $40 or more.
These were some of Tarte’s after-Christmas deals you could get in 2020:
- Tarte Curls Best Friend Lash Curler Set: $12.80 (reg. 20)
- Tartiest Pro Remix Amazonian Clay Palette: $23.20 (reg. $49)
- Everyday Neutrals Eye & Cheek Palette: $20 (reg. $30)
See all Tarte deals.
8. Shop Walmart’s after-Christmas toy clearance for up to 90% off top toys.
In 2020, Walmart offered up to 90% off top toys the day after Christmas, which was earlier than expected for Walmart stores. I found markdowns on Disney, Hatchimals, Care Bears, and more toys left over from the Christmas craze.
Some of the toy deals available at Walmart in 2020 were:
- L.O.L Surprise! OMG House: $30 (reg. $189)
- Little Tikes First Market Kitchen: $40 (reg. $97)
- JoJo Siwa Hoverboard: $74 (reg. $148)
See all toy deals.
9. Or, wait for the Target after-Christmas toy sale to save up to 70%.
Every year, Target offers 70% off toys in January during their Semi-Annual Toy Clearance sale. This is the highest discount you’ll see on toys from Target until their next Semi-Annual Toy Sale in July.
This sale typically starts in mid-January. Look for savings on everything from Paw Patrol toys to Disney dolls, and don’t forget to use your Target RedCard for an extra 5% off!
Some of the 2020 deals featured in Target’s after-Christmas toy sale were:
- Disney Princess Comics Perfect Pairs: $3.89 (reg. $12.99)
- Whimsical by Wengie Slime 4-Pack: $3.89 (reg. $12.99)
- Trolls: World Tour Dancing Hair Poppy: $16.19 (reg. $53.99)
10. Grab Christmas candy at CVS for up to 50% off.
In 2020, CVS offered 50% off Christmas candy, decor, and more just two days after Christmas. You’ll see big price drops on chocolates, gift bags, lights, cards, and more at CVS starting as early as Dec. 26.
Last year, most CVS stores were pretty well-stocked with after-Christmas items, but you can download the CVS app and sign up for an ExtraCare account to scan CVS weekly ad deals from your phone.
In 2020, some of the best deals on sweet treats from CVS were:
- Russel Stover Singles: $0.64 (reg. $1.29)
- Small Holiday Gift Bags: $0.75 (reg. $1.49)
- Holiday M&M’s: $2.20 (reg. $4.59)
See all CVS deals.
11. Save 70% on kids’ books or games from Walmart just two days after Christmas.
On Dec. 27, 2019, Walmart offered clearance board games for as low as $9. But on the same day in 2020, I found kids’ books on clearance for up to 72% off. Some of the markdowns included popular titles featuring Disney Princesses, Frozen characters, Pete the Cat, and more.
You won’t find these books with the other after-Christmas clearance items at Walmart. Instead, they’ll be in their own display by the photo counter. Some of the book deals I saw in 2020 were:
- The Night Before Christmas: $3.59 (reg. $7.99)
- Disney Frozen Storybook Collection: $5 (reg. $17.99)
- Pete the Cat Storybook Collection: $5 (reg. $11.99)
See all book deals.
12. Or, save 50% on a huge selection of books from Barnes & Noble around the same time.
Last year, Barnes & Noble marked down over 400 books, offering 50% off popular titles just three days after Christmas.
Some of the books marked down in 2020 were:
- Midnight Sun by Stephanie Meyer: $13.99 (reg. $27.99)
- Humans by Brandon Stanton: $17.50 (reg. $35)
- The Conference of Birds by Ransom Riggs: $11.49 (reg. $22.99)
These deals were available online and in stores. Get free shipping on orders of $35 or more, or grab your purchase at the store with free curbside pickup.
See all Barnes & Noble deals.
13. Take 75% off Ugg, Sperry, and other shoes during Macy’s after-Christmas sale.
Last year, Macy’s surprised us all with a wide variety of after-Christmas deals. One of their best offers in 2020 was an online sale for 75% off shoes. You could grab shoes from brands like Ugg and Sperry for as low as $9.87.
Not all shoe sizes are available for Macy’s sales like these, so be sure to filter by your size when browsing shoe deals online.
Macy’s held this one-day sale on Dec. 29 last year, but keep an eye out for great after-Christmas deals throughout the last week of December. In 2020, Macy’s offered free shipping on orders of $25 or more plus free curbside pickup at the store.
See all Macy’s deals.
14. Shop American Eagle’s after-Christmas clearance for 60% off cozy clothing.
Last year, American Eagle dropped their after-Christmas clearance on Dec. 29, offering 60% off styles online and in stores. I found price drops on trendy sweaters, hoodies, jeans, tees, and so much more.
During the 2020 sale, you could get free shipping on orders of $50 or more or head to the store for free curbside pickup. Check out some of these top deals from last year:
- AE Forever Oversized Hoodie: $15.99 (reg. $49.95)
- AE Cropped Boxy Crew Neck T-Shirt: $9.98 (reg. $24.95)
- AE Textured Fleece Cropped Mock Neck Sweatshirt: $15.98 (reg. $39.95)
See all American Eagle deals.
15. Buy pet houses, dog beds, and more for up to 95% off at PetSmart.
The only thing better than 95% off is free. And last year, you could pick up quality pet products and supplies from PetSmart for BASICALLY NOTHING.
This insane online sale happened for the first time in 2020 on Dec. 30, featuring markdowns on dog houses, pet nail clippers, cat litter, treats, and more. These deals were available online at PetSmart.com, but they were only eligible for in-store pickup. So keep in mind that clearance items depend on what’s in stock at stores near you.
Some of the best deals I saw in 2020 were:
- Petmate Indigo Igloo-Style Dog House: $7.02 (reg. $129.99)
- KONG 4-Sided Cuddler Pet Bed: $11.77 (reg. $39.99)
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Adult Dog Food, 36 lb: $10.99 (reg. $63.99)
See all Petsmart deals.
16. Look for Pottery Barn’s warehouse sale to save up to 70%.
When there’s a sale at Pottery Barn, you know where to find me. As much as I love their products, their price tags are no match for my wallet. That’s why this after-Christmas warehouse sale was such a big win.
On New Year’s Eve, Pottery Barn dropped online deals for up to 70% off robes, blankets, comforters, and more. This sale was only available for one day last year, so keep your eyes peeled for deals as soon as they drop.
You could get free shipping on orders of $99 or more with a coupon code at checkout. Some of the products featured in the 2020 sale included:
- Teddy Faux Fur Trim Robes: $51 (reg. $129)
- Han Dining Chair: $59 (reg. $149)
- Cozy Cale Knit Throws: $63.99-$134 (reg. $129-$149)
17. Sell your unwanted gift cards and buy discounted ones for stores you actually shop.
Sell gift cards you don’t want on Raise.com — then turn around and get a discount when you buy the gift cards you DO want.
The days after Christmas are a great time to not only sell your unwanted gift cards, but find gift cards for stores you’ll want to shop at throughout the next year. You can expect to save 5-15% on gift cards to various stores and restaurants this way.
Keep your savings strong with these other winter clearance events
Dick’s Sporting Goods Winter Coat Clearance
Look for winter boots clearance plus up to 75% off outwear, snow pants, ski gear, and more. Dick’s Sporting Goods usually runs this weekend winter sale in January.
Nordstrom Rack’s ‘Clear The Rack’ Event
Save 50-75% on top clothing brands with Nordstrom Rack’s ‘Clear The Rack’ sale. This event happens about once every two months, so look for winter clothes clearance during the February sale. In February 2021, women’s boots were selling for as low as $15!
REI Winter Clearance Event
The best time to find discounts at REI is January-February when you can shop REI’s Winter Clearance Sale for up to 50% off. In February 2021, you could get The North Face women’s outwear for half off original prices!
Kohl’s Winter Boot Clearance
In January and February, Kohl’s offers a winter boot clearance with sale prices that reach 40% off — plus a promo code to get you an additional 20% off your purchase.
The Children’s Place Clearance
The Children’s Place typically runs a clearance event in February. In 2021, the sale offered up to 75% off the entire site. Since inventories grow scarcer the longer you wait, plan to hop on these deals right when the sale goes live.
See more of the best winter clearance events to shop in January, February, and March.