We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Once Dec. 25 comes and goes, retailers drop after-Christmas clearance sales as a last attempt to get everything merry and bright off the shelves. This is because stores need to make room for Valentine’s Day merch. That’s why some things, like winter apparel and Christmas decor, are worth waiting until after Christmas to buy.
Truly, the sales after Christmas are extra special because we’re dealing with more than just short-term markdowns. I mean, we’re really talking after-Christmas clearance. That means stores want to get rid of EVERYTHING, and they’ll do whatever it takes — like mark items down from 50% – 90% off — to clear their shelves.
Our hot tip: Wait until closer to January to save the most. Sure, you’ll see prices drop the day immediately after Christmas, but price tags drop even more day after day. But here’s the tricky part with waiting. As prices continue to drop, inventory starts to drop, too. You’ll know you’re getting the best deal when something’s about 90% off.
We rounded up the best after-Christmas sales from recent years so you know exactly what to look for. Also, be sure to sign up for deal alerts through The Krazy Coupon Lady app.
1. Get the best deals from Walmart’s after-Christmas sales around Jan. 2.
Walmart notoriously marks down Christmas decorations to 75% off right after Christmas. In both 2021 and 2022, Walmart offered 50% off Christmas decor on Dec. 26, but those discounts rose to 75% just a few days later. The most recent 75% markdowns happened on Jan. 2, 2023. Stop by Walmart for deep discounts on Christmas lights, ornaments, and more for as low as $0.81.
Some of the best deals in Walmart’s after-Christmas sales were:
- Holiday Time 4-Pack Ornaments: $1.99 (reg. $7.98)
- Holiday Time Mini Lights: $0.81 (reg. $3.20)
- Disney 8.5-foot Nightmare Before Christmas Inflatable: $24.75 (reg. $99)
Some of the best Walmart in-store clearance deals we saw:
- Holiday Time Clear Mini Christmas Lights for $0.81
- Holiday Time 2-Pack Wrapping Paper for $1.37
- Holiday Time Natural Bow for $2.24
- Holiday Time 6-Foot Artificial Christmas Tree for $7.25
- Holiday Time 2-Piece Santa Tree Hugger for $7.49
- Holiday Time 2.1-Gallon Green Glass Christmas Tree Beverage Dispenser for $18.94
- Disney 8.5-Foot Nightmare Before Christmas Inflatable for $24.75
Related: Each store has their own after-Christmas sales schedule — we’ve got the details.
2. Holiday decor at Target goes on sale for up to 90% off after Christmas.
At Target, wrapping paper, holiday decorations, and artificial trees typically hit 90% off in the weeks after Christmas. Most recently, Target’s in-store Christmas clearance hit 70% off on Dec. 29, and 90% off on Jan. 4, 2023.
At my Target store, all the normal holiday items were 70% off, food was 50% off, and Dollar Spot items (hidden in the seasonal section) were 90% off the regular price. Keep in mind that this clearance is in-store only. However, you can check what’s in stock at your local Target with the Brickseek Inventory Tracker before you head to the store.
A few Target in-store clearance deals from January 2023:
- Melamine Plate for as low as $0.28
- Inclusive Gift Wrap for as low as $0.28
- “Happy Pawlidays” Garland for as low as $0.95
3. Don’t miss after-Christmas clearance sales at Home Depot and Lowe’s for up to 75% off artificial trees.
If your artificial Christmas tree is on its last legs, you’ll want to head over to HomeDepot.com and Lowes.com in the days after Christmas. It’s true: one of the BEST times to buy a Christmas tree is right after Christmas, even though it’s probably the last thing you’re thinking about.
In recent years, Home Depot announced their Christmas tree clearance on Dec. 30. Keep in mind that these deals were only available online. Still, we saw quality Christmas trees for hundreds of dollars off.
Some of the best deals from Home Depot’s after-Christmas sales last year were:
- 7.5-foot Lachlan Balsam Fir Slim LED Pre-Lit Artificial Christmas Tree with 460 Color-Changing Lights with 7 Functions: $124.75 (reg. $499)
- 9-foot Chelsey Balsam Fir LED Pre-Lit Artificial Christmas Tree with 1100 SureBright Warm White Lights: $224.75 (reg. $899)
Home Depot deals from early January 2023:
- Home Accents Holiday 7.5-Foot Wesley Pine Christmas Tree for $89.50
- Home Accents Holiday 7.5-Foot Alta Flocked Christmas Tree for $99.50
4. Shop the Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sale after Christmas for 75% off.
Listen up, friends, because this event is DEFINITELY something to write home about. The Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sale is a personal favorite, and here’s why:
The sale always starts on Dec. 26 and lasts just over three weeks. Last year, the Bath & Body Works Winter Semi-Annual Sale featured 75% savings in-store but only 50% savings online. However, on the last two days of the sale, online prices were updated to 50% – 75% off. You’ll find the best deals on overstocked fragrances, including classic, seasonal, and discontinued scents.
Some of the best deals from Bath & Body Works’ after-Christmas sales include:
- Wallflowers for $3 (reg. $7.50)
- Hand soap as low as $3.75 (reg. $7.50)
- Body care for $3.37 (reg. $13.50+)
- Single-wick candles as low as $6.50 (reg. $15.50)
Overall, your best bet is to shop in store — right now, Bath & Body Works doesn’t offer free shipping, so you’ll have to pay a $5.99 flat-rate shipping fee if you shop online. Plus, if the winter sale is anything like last year, you might find better deals in store.
- Wallflower Fragrance Refill for as low as $2.40
- Shower Gel or Body Lotion for as low as $2.70
- Hand Soap for as low as $1.50
5. Save at least 60% on winter apparel and accessories during Kohl’s after-Christmas sales.
Kohl’s starts discounting winter apparel right after Christmas to make room for spring merchandise. You’ll find deep discounts on winter apparel with sales running through January. Last year Kohl’s marked down winter accessories to at least 60% off, plus an additional 15% off when you signed up for Kohl’s sales alerts. These deals usually start on New Year’s Day.
Stock up on winter jackets and accessories for next year to avoid paying full price in the fall! FYI — be sure to size up if you’re buying for your kids.
Some of the best deals from Kohl’s after-Christmas sales were:
- Cold weather sets as low as $9.60 (reg. $16+)
- Sherpa jackets as low as $17.60 (reg. $44)
- Heated blankets for $44.99 (reg. $89.99)
6. Take up to 50% off leftover holiday gift sets from Ulta’s after-Christmas sales.
By the time Dec. 26 hits, Ulta is itching to rid their shelves of all the remaining holiday-themed gift sets. Ulta doesn’t run these after-Christmas sales at the same time every year, but you can expect a variety of deep discounts running through mid-January. Last year, Ulta waited until Jan. 8 to offer 50% off holiday gift sets.
Plus, Ulta always puts out some type of after-Christmas coupon. Whether it’s 20% off, $5 off a $10 purchase, or $3.50 off a $15 purchase, you can pretty much plan to stack sale prices with a coupon.
Ulta deals that caught our eye:
7. Shop Tarte Cosmetics’ end-of-year sale for 70% off premium makeup products.
This year, Tarte Cosmetics dropped an after-Christmas sale on Dec. 30, offering up to 70% off palettes and gift sets through Jan. 2. Even better, Tarte gave shoppers an additional 20% off at checkout and free shipping for Tarte Perks members.
These were some of Tarte’s holiday deals you could get after Christmas:
- Tarte Power Flex Concealer: $20 (reg. $28)
- Maneater Vanity Palette: $19 (reg. $32)
- Tarte Lengthen, Lift & Define Best Sellers Eye Set: $18 (reg. $40)
8. Buy toys for up to 90% off during Walmart’s After-Christmas Toy Clearance.
We’ve seen Walmart offer up to 90% off top toys the day after Christmas, which is earlier than usual for Walmart stores. In Walmart’s clearance, I found toy deals on Disney, Hatchimals, Care Bears, and more toys left over from the Christmas craze.
And get ready for savings in 2023, because Walmart’s early toy clearance kicked off early on Dec. 16, 2022.
- 5 Surprise Dino Strike Volcano Collectible Toy for $5.00
- Barbie Dream Camper with 60 Accessories for $64.00
- 5 Surprise Mini Fashion Collectible Toy for $5.00
- 5 Surprise Toy Mini Brands Collectible Toy 3-Pack for $15.00
9. Or wait for after-Christmas toy sales at Target to save up to 70%.
Every year, Target offers 70% off toys in January during their Semi-Annual Toy Clearance. This is the highest discount you’ll see on toys from Target until their next Semi-Annual Toy Sale in July. The winter toy clearance usually starts in mid-January. Look for savings on everything from Paw Patrol toys to Disney dolls, and don’t forget to use your Target RedCard for an extra 5% off!
Some of the best toy deals featured in Target’s after-Christmas sales were:
- Disney Princess Comics Perfect Pairs: $3.89 (reg. $12.99)
- Whimsical by Wengie Slime 4-Pack: $3.89 (reg. $12.99)
- Trolls: World Tour Dancing Hair Poppy: $16.19 (reg. $53.99)
10. Pick up holiday candy at CVS for up to 50% off after Christmas.
We’ve seen CVS offer 50% off Christmas candy, decor, and more just two days after Christmas. You’ll see CVS deals on chocolates, gift bags, lights, cards, and more at CVS starting as early as Dec. 26. Last year, most CVS stores were pretty well stocked with after-Christmas items, but you can download the CVS app (iOS / Android) and sign up for an ExtraCare account to scan CVS weekly ad deals from your phone.
11. Save 50% on kids’ books or games from Walmart just two days after Christmas.
In 2021 Christmas books at Walmart went on sale for up to 78% off the day after Christmas. Some of the markdowns included popular titles featuring Disney Princesses, Frozen characters, Pete the Cat, and more. You won’t find these books with all the other after-Christmas sale items at Walmart. Instead, they’ll be on their own display by the photo counter.
Some of the best book deals from Walmart’s after-Christmas sales in 2021/2022 were:
- Paw Patrol Holiday Helpers: $1.42 (reg. $5.99)
- First 100 Christmas Words Board Book by Priddy Books: $1.57 (reg. $6.28)
- My First Christmas Bedtime Disney Storybook: $2.47 (reg. $9.88)
Deals from 2023:
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell for $3.14
- How to Catch an Elf for $4.94
- The Night Before Christmas for $4.02
12. Or save 50% on a huge selection of books during Barnes & Noble’s after-Christmas sales.
Last year Barnes & Noble marked down over 400 books, offering 50% off popular titles just three days after Christmas. You’ll find tons of bestsellers in the Barnes & Noble clearance section at this time.
Some of the best after-Christmas sales at Barnes & Noble included:
- The Conference of Birds by Ransom Riggs: $11.49 (reg. $22.99)
- Midnight Sun by Stephanie Meyer: $13.99 (reg. $27.99)
- Humans by Brandon Stanton: $17.50 (reg. $35)
These deals were available online and in stores. Get free shipping on orders of $35 or more, or grab your purchase at the store with free curbside pickup.
13. Take 50% – 75% off Ugg, Sperry, and other shoes at Macy’s during their after-Christmas sales.
In 2021 Macy’s surprised us all with a huge selection of after-Christmas deals on shoes. Discounts usually start at 50% off on Dec. 29 but may reach up to 75% off in early January. You’ll find sale prices on shoes from Ugg, Sperry, Sorel, and more. Not all shoe sizes are available during Macy’s sales like these, so be sure to filter by your size when browsing shoe deals online.
We’ve seen Macy’s offer free shipping on orders of $25 or more, plus free curbside pickup at the store.
14. Shop American Eagle’s after-Christmas sales for 60% off cozy clothing.
Last year American Eagle dropped their after-Christmas sale on Dec. 29, offering 60% off styles online and in stores. I found price drops on trendy sweaters, hoodies, jeans, tees, and so much more.
In recent years, you could get free shipping on orders of $50 or more, or head to the store for free curbside pickup.
Some of the best deals from American Eagle’s after-Christmas sales last year were:
- Cropped Boxy Crew Neck T-shirt: $9.98 (reg. $24.95)
- Textured Fleece Cropped Mock Neck Sweatshirt: $15.98 (reg. $39.95)
- Forever Oversized Hoodie: $15.99 (reg. $49.95)
American Eagle deals we loved:
- AE Women’s Oversized Graphic Elf Tee for $13.98
- Women’s AE Graphic Mock Neck Sweatshirt for $15.99
- Women’s AE Soft & Cozy Mixed Stitch Sweater for $23.98
15. Buy pet houses, dog beds, and more for up to 95% off during after-Christmas sales at PetSmart.
The only thing better than 95% off is free. And last year you could pick up quality pet products and supplies from PetSmart for BASICALLY NOTHING.
In 2021 PetSmart’s insane after-Christmas sales started online on Dec. 27, featuring markdowns on dog houses, pet nail clippers, cat litter, treats, and more. These PetSmart deals were available online at PetSmart.com, but they were only eligible for in-store pickup. So keep in mind that clearance items depend on what’s in stock at stores near you.
Some of the best deals from PetSmart’s after-Christmas sales were:
- Petmate Indigo Igloo-Style Dog House: $7.02 (reg. $129.99)
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Adult Dog Food, 36 lb: $10.99 (reg. $63.99)
- Kong 4-Sided Cuddler Pet Bed: $11.77 (reg. $39.99)
Some of PetSmart’s Christmas clearance deals came early, starting Dec. 19, 2022:
- Joyhound Crazy Cozy Giraffe Dog Toy for $3.99
- Joyhound Classroom Snuffle Puzzle Bear Burrow & Play Mat for $6.99
- Joyhound Chew Well Treat Dispensing Dog Toy for $6.99
- Nerf Dog Scentology Orbit Ring Dog Toy $6.99
16. Look for Pottery Barn’s warehouse sale to save up to 70% before and after Christmas.
When there’s a sale at Pottery Barn, you know where to find me. As much as I love their products, their price tags are no match for my wallet. That’s why this after-Christmas (and before Christmas!) warehouse sale was such a big win.
Starting on Dec. 19, 2022, Pottery Barn dropped online deals for up to 70% off furniture, bedding, decor, and more for their End of Season sale. Then on Dec. 27 – 28, they had a two-day-only Warehouse Sale with even more 70% off deals across thousands of brands.
You could get free shipping on orders of $99 or more with a coupon code at checkout.
Some of our favorite deals from Pottery Barn’s Warehouse Sale were:
- Pendleton Stocking: $22.99 (reg. $39.50)
- Red Berry Waffle Cotton Blanket (King/Cal. King): $76.99 (reg. $129)
- Snowman Organic Percale Sheet Set (Full): $48.99 (reg. $99)
17. Sell your unwanted gift cards (and buy others at a discount) after Christmas.
You can sell gift cards you don’t want on Raise.com — then turn around and get a discount when you buy the gift cards you DO want.
The days after Christmas are a great time to not only sell your unwanted gift cards but find ones for stores you’ll want to shop at next year. You can expect to save 5% – 15% on gift cards to various stores and restaurants this way.
Keep saving with these other after-Christmas sales and winter clearance events.
Dick’s Sporting Goods Winter Coat Clearance
Look for winter boots clearance plus up to 75% off outerwear, snow pants, ski gear, and more. Dick’s Sporting Goods usually runs this weekend winter sale in January.
Nordstrom Rack’s “Clear The Rack” Event
Save 50% – 75% on top clothing brands with Nordstrom Rack’s “Clear The Rack” sale. This event happens about once every two months, so look for winter clothes clearance during the February sale. In February 2021 women’s boots were selling for as low as $15!
REI Winter Clearance Event
The best time to find discounts at REI is January – February, when you can shop REI’s Winter Clearance Sale for up to 50% off. In February 2021 you could get The North Face women’s outwear for half off their original prices!
Kohl’s Winter Boot Clearance
In January and February, Kohl’s offers a winter boot clearance with sale prices that reach 40% off — plus a promo code to get you an additional 20% off your purchase.
The Children’s Place Clearance
The Children’s Place typically runs a clearance event in February. In 2021 the sale offered up to 75% off the entire site. Since inventories grow scarcer the longer you wait, plan to hop on these deals right when the sale goes live.
See more of the best winter clearance events to shop in January, February, and March.