CVS is the ultimate champion when it comes to offering freebies and discounts.
Don’t believe us? We hacked the CVS system to give you 36 ways to score free items, free shipping and even free money.
1. Sign up for a CVS ExtraCare card to get 2% back in ExtraBucks Rewards.
Register your ExtraCare card and then scan it every time you shop to get 2% back in ExtraBucks Rewards. You’ll also get to take advantage of exclusive ExtraCare member sale prices.
You’ll get the 2% reward quarterly, starting on Jan. 1. You need to earn at least $1 to get the reward, which is the equivalent of spending $50 per quarter.
2. Scan your ExtraCare card every time you shop to get personalized coupons.
Every time you scan your ExtraCare card during a purchase, CVS’s system will make a note of your purchases and reward you with personalized coupons the next time you shop.
3. Head straight to the red coupon kiosk with your ExtraCare card to print store coupons.
As soon as you walk into CVS, walk over to the red coupon kiosk and scan your ExtraCare card.
The kiosk will print out personalized store coupons for you based on your past purchases.
4. Get free items (or make money) by stacking store and manufacturer coupons on sale prices — and then get a rebate.
Let’s say the red coupon kiosk prints out a store coupon for $1/1 Tropicana orange juice.
Pair the store coupon with another $1/1 manufacturer coupon you find on the KCL app, and then you look to see that Tropicana is already on sale for $2.
You’ll get the juice for free.
But wait! You see Ibotta is offering a $0.75 rebate on Tropicana orange juice purchased at CVS, which means you just made $0.75 by stacking all. the. things. #YouKrazy.
Pro Tip: CVS won’t give you money back if your coupon value is $5 and your item costs you $4. The only way to make money is by getting a free item, then using a rebate.
5. Download the KCL app for step-by-step instructions on how to score CVS freebies and discounts.
You want to get freebies and insane CVS discounts but you just don’t have time? We’ve got you.
Download our app and select CVS as a Favorite Store, and make sure you allow KCL app alerts. We’ll give you step-by-step instructions on how to score freebies or deals from CVS.
6. Separate your transactions and roll your ExtraCare Bucks into the second transaction.
CVS ExtraCare Bucks, aka ECBs, can be used like cash immediately upon earning them for a completed transaction.
They typically print at the bottom of your receipt and tend to expire within 30 days.
Which means if you strategize your transactions before arriving at checkout, you can earn all your ECBs in your first transaction, and then use them on your second transaction.
This little trick will reduce your immediate out-of-pocket expenses, so make sure you don’t forget to use them.
Pro Tip: Purchase ECB-earning items with ECBs to keep your ECBs rolling for continuously free items. Plan it out before heading in by checking out CVS’s weekly flyer.
7. Get a digital receipt if you don’t spend your ECBs immediately.
CVS recently opened up the option to receive a digital receipt so you don’t lose your ECBs when you lose your receipt.
Take advantage of the digital receipt offer if you aren’t immediately spending your ECBs in a second transaction.
8. Spend 98% of the ECB promotion amount to earn the reward.
If you see an offer that says, “Get $5 in ExtraCare Bucks when you spend $20” — you only have to spend $19.60, or 98% of $20 to earn the $5 reward.
9. Sign up for the ExtraCare Beauty Club to earn $3 on every $30 you spend.
Once you sign up for CVS’s Beauty Club, you’ll start earning $3 for every $30 you spend on beauty products, which is around 10% back.
Don’t make the mistake of thinking you have to spend $30 in one transaction to earn $3 — you can reach the $30 threshold over multiple shopping trips.
You’ll also get a free birthday gift, a welcome gift, free samples, exclusive beauty product discounts and more.
10. Stack Beauty Club savings with ExtraCare Rewards for 12% back on beauty products.
Don’t forget to swipe your ExtraCare card when making a purchase as a Beauty Club member for a combined 12% back.
11. Use your Beauty Club balance by Dec. 31 — it’ll be wiped clean in January.
Beauty Club rewards don’t roll over into a new calendar year. So basically, use your Beauty Club rewards by Dec. 31 or lose them.
12. Earn $50 ECB by enrolling in ExtraCare Pharmacy & Health Rewards.
For every 10 credits you earn, you’ll get $5 ECBs up to $50 per year.
Get 1 credit every time you fill a prescription, meaning 10 prescription refills = $5 ECB’s in your pocket.
13. Enroll every person in your household in the Pharmacy & Health Rewards program to earn up to $50 each, every year.
Each person in your household can earn up to $50 per year in the ExtraCare Pharmacy & Health Rewards program.
Then earn credits faster by completing the following tasks for each family member:
- Fill or refill prescription = 1 credit
- Refill 90-day prescription = 3 credits
- Link prescriptions to your CVS account = 3 credits
- Get pharmacy text alerts = 1 credit
- Get email refill reminders = 1 credit
- Get the flu shot or any CVS vaccine = 1 credit
14. Enroll your pets in Pharmacy & Health Rewards to earn extra credits.
You can even enroll your fur baby in the same Pharmacy & Health Rewards like another member of your family so they can earn credits too!
15. Use your Pharmacy & Health Rewards by Dec. 31 or they’ll expire.
Just like Beauty Club Rewards, Pharmacy & Health Rewards expire at the end of every calendar year.
Set a reminder in your phone to use ’em or lose ’em.
16. Look for “free after rebate” items.
CVS offers plenty of “free after rebate” items in store. Just look for the “free after rebate” tag on the shelf, or in the weekly flyer.
You can also find a list of available mail-in rebates in the online Rebate Center.
17. Shop when sales begin at the beginning of the month or every Sunday.
There are two types of sales at CVS: monthly ECB offers and weekly sales.
Because there are so many ways to score dirt cheap or free items at CVS, shop as soon as you see a deal that includes ECBs, a manufacturer coupon, a store coupon, a sale price and a rebate from Ibotta.
If you hesitate, you may be forced to ask for a rain check and lose some of your discounts due to coupon or rebate expiration dates.
18. Specifically ask for ECB offers to be included on your rainchecks.
Rainchecks are exclusive to CVS and never expire.
But if a sale item you need a raincheck for has an ExtraCare Buck offer attached to it, you’d better ask for the ECB offer to be added to the raincheck.
If you don’t specifically ask for it, you run the risk of getting just the sale price without the ECBs.
19. Save 3x more when you sign up for CVS emails.
CVS promises 3x the savings with exclusive inbox-only discounts that require you to sign up for CVS emails.
Another way to sign up is by adding your email address to your ExtraCare card account when you register.
You’ll start receiving weekly deals in your inbox like 20% off your purchase, $5 off $20 or $3 off $15.
20. Pay from your phone and use manufacturer coupons using the CVS app.
There are only a few store apps that are truly worth downloading (the Target and Walmart apps come to mind), but the CVS app is on our short list.
CVS often runs a “Get $5 ECBs just for downloading our app” promos, so look out for that too.
Here are a few app perks:
- Scan and pay from your phone
- Use manufacturer coupons
- Order prescription refills
- Order photo prints from Facebook right off your phone
- Hold your place in line, see wait times, and receive a text when you’re next at the MinuteClinic
21. Plan your shopping trip using CVS’s online flyer.
CVS is a little like Target. You go in for toilet paper and walk out with a cart full of goodies.
Sit down with the CVS flyer (you can find it online if you don’t get a newspaper). Plan what you’re going to get, and how you’re going to separate your transactions to roll ECBs effectively.
A little planning will cut back on splurges and help grow your stockpile in a more need-based, healthy way.
22. Don’t expect to use your quarterly 2% back on alcohol, stamps or gift cards.
When it comes to using that 2% quarterly payout, certain items are excluded, including alcohol, stamps and gift cards.
Almost everything else is up for grabs.
23. Trade your unwanted gift cards for a CVS gift card.
Have an old gift card you know you’ll never use? Bring it with you next time to trade it in for a CVS Pharmacy gift card instead.
The amount you receive in a CVS gift card will not be the same amount you turn in on the unwanted gift card. Expect to get anywhere from 50-80% of the original cost put on a CVS card.
24. Get an immediate 4% discount by paying with a discounted gift card from Raise.
Raise sells CVS gift cards at a discount with an average savings of around 4%.
25. Don’t expect cash back for bringing your own reusable bag.
A few years ago, CVS rewarded customers every four times they refused a bag. This is no longer an option, so don’t count on it as part of your savings (unless you live in a state that taxes you for using bags).
26. Get exclusive online discounts like 25% off all beauty plus free shipping.
Once you click “Online Offers” you’ll see a wealth of exclusive deals like 25% off all beauty products or a free $10 cash card for every $30 you spend.
28. Use ECBs to get free Claire’s accessories for your kids.
CVS sells Claire’s accessories, which means you can spoil your kids for free when you use those ECBs on Claire’s accessories.
29. Veterans get 20% off online orders plus free shipping every day.
CVS’s Veterans Advantage program offers 20% off all online orders for Veterans plus free shipping.
The offer excludes prescriptions and gift cards.
Get information on how to sign up for the program here.
30. Use InstaCart to get CVS orders delivered to your door in one hour.
Online orders and prescription refills can take one to four days to arrive, but if you have InstaCart, you can get CVS deliveries in as little as an hour.
31. Return beauty or CVS brand products — even if you already tried it.
CVS has a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all CVS brand and beauty products.
This means you can actually return an item after it’s been opened as long as you have the receipt.
32. Get free shipping plus up to 20% off recurring shipments with Save & Ship.
If you’d like recurring shipments of the same product, sign up for the CVS Save & Ship program to automatically save up to 20% and get free shipping every time.
33. Sign up to earn ExtraCare Bucks for taking surveys.
Sign up to receive ExtraCare Bucks a few times a year in exchange for the time it takes you to complete a few CVS surveys.
34. Buy beauty products like hair and skin care when you see $5-$10 back in ECB offers.
Beauty and personal care products are some of the best items to buy at CVS, because their sale price is almost always matched with an ECB offer of $5-$10.
For example, right now you’ll get $5 ECB when you buy any two L’Oreal products.
Plus if you’re a Beauty Club member, you’ll get that additional 10% back when you hit $30 in beauty purchases.
Check the app for manufacturer coupons and rebates to pile up those savings.
35. Get exclusive savings on CVS brands like $5 off a $20 purchase of CVS brand items.
CVS often offers exclusive discounts when you load up on CVS brands like Beauty 360 and CVS Health.
For example, right now CVS is offering $5 back when you purchase $20 of CVS products.
These store-brand products often have lower prices to start plus ECB offers, so there is potential to walk away with free products if you plan to roll ECBs into multiple transactions.
36. Make $5 when you get your flu shot at CVS.
When flu shots make their debut in the fall, check out the $5 off a $25 purchase when you get a no-cost flu shot at CVS.
Your insurance will cover the cost of the flu shot, and you’ll get $5 off on your next $25 purchase!