We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
National Fajita Day happens every year on August 18, which is a Sunday in 2024. Fajitas were created in the 1930s in Texas but didn’t really gain popularity until the 1960s and early 1970s. Every food holiday has to start somewhere, and this particular one was created by the restaurant chain On the Border in 2016.
While there aren’t many restaurants that offer deals, we’ll let you know exactly what you can expect based on deals from 2023.
For more smart shopping tips and savings hacks, text HACKS to 57299.
Moe’s Southwest Grill: Grab a Fajita Meal Kit for $53.99 in 2023.
Moe’s Southwest Grill offered a Fajita Meal Kit for $53.99 in 2023. Each meal kit gave you enough ingredients to craft 12 fajitas. That comes out to around $4.50 per fajita, and was likely enough to feed a family of four.
You’re actually able to get this deal every day of the year — including National Fajita Day.
RELATED: 64 Food Holidays to Get Free & Cheap Food All Year Long
On the Border: Get $5 off fajitas all day long on Aug. 18, 2023.
On the Border offered $5 off all fajita purchases on National Fajita Day, Aug. 18, 2023. This deal was only available at participating On the Border locations, so you needed to make sure your local On the Border gave this discount.
Wanna stay home? Try our make-ahead fajita freezer meal.
Fajitas are one of those freezer meals that works for everyone in the family.
What you’ll need:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (or 1/2 teaspoon each of chili powder, paprika, and cumin)
- Tortillas for serving
- Your favorite toppings for serving (sour cream, avocado, cheese, guacamole, salsa)
- Place all of the ingredients in a gallon freezer bag and shake it to coat in the marinade and seasonings.
- Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before cooking.
- Cook in a slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low.
- Shred the chicken with a fork and place it back into the crock pot.
- Serve on tortillas with your favorite toppings.