We recently shared a good deal on carry-on luggage as a gift idea for the travelers on your holiday gift list. Today we have more ideas for those travel enthusiasts:
1. Walkie Talkies. No longer a novel toy for kids, walkie talkies are a great way to keep in touch with family members on a cruise or at a foreign resort where cellphone access is expensive and/or non-existent. Walkie talkies let you know what your teenagers are up to without having to be at their side 24 hours a day. Cruise ships and resorts can cover a lot of ground, so you want to get units that have a pretty wide range. Amazon.com currently has Motorola MH230R 23-mile range 22-channel two-way radios on sale for $37.99. That’s a 22 percent savings over their regular price of $59.99.
2. Globe. Dreaming about traveling is almost as much fun as jetting around the world. (In this age of long airport security lines, crowded theme parks and lost luggage, it might just be MORE fun.) What better way to encourage those travel daydreams than with a globe. Ultimate World Globes offers more than 1000 different floor and desk globes at savings of up to 70 percent plus free shipping. They also have a 30-day price match policy, if you see a lower price somewhere else.
3. Travel Journals. Writing down your impressions, observations and thoughts when you travel is a great way to help you remember the experience years later. Plus, it’s fun. No traveler can ever have enough blank journal books. Papyrus is one of my favorite stores for travel journals. (No, they aren’t offering a Krazy deal right now, but isn’t being able to buy a luxury now and then why we use coupons and take advantage of other deals?) They currently have a whole line of travel-themed journals starting at $9.95 plus $2.95 shipping. You can also access them via ShopatHome.com for additional savings.
4. Waterproof Watch. A waterproof watch is a useful gift for today’s active traveler. These affordable timepieces can be worn at the beach, while snorkeling or diving, and in even the worst weather. Amazon.com is offering a Timex unisex, waterproof sports watch this week for just $12.75. Add this to another purchase or two and qualify for free shipping (on orders of $25 and more.) The watch even comes with a year’s warranty.
5. Digital Camera. Remember when digital cameras cost a week’s pay? Not any more. A quality digital camera can be found for under $100, often for way under $100. Several retailers are offering good prices on digital cameras during their Black Friday sales. Among these are Office Max, which is selling an Olympus VG-120 for $79.99 (regularly 139.99); Staples, which is offering a FujiFilm FinePix JX30 Digital Camera Bundle for $69.99 (a $109.99 value); and Target, which is selling a Nikon L105 12MP digital camera for $99.99 (a $199.99 value.) In addition, Old Navy is offering a free, waterproof digital camera with a $40 purchase on Black Friday (these will probably be gone early in the day.)
Do you have any other ideas for gifts for travel enthusiasts?