I have a confession to make: I actually really dislike cooking, and I’m not that good at it. Thankfully my husband seems to know what he’s doing. In a recent attempt to better my culinary skills, I scoured the Web for something that would change my ways. What I discovered was a gold mine of ingenious tricks.
1. Cut corn off the cob by standing it on a Bundt cake pan.
2. To heat pasta evenly, make a hole in the center before microwaving.
3. Preheat your cookie sheet in the oven when roasting veggies to decrease cooking time.
4. Coat a spoon or measuring cup with hot water or cooking spray prior to adding a sticky ingredient like honey, and it will slide right off.
Related: Cleaning Your Kitchen–the Natural and Frugal Way
5. Prevent seeds from falling into your juice by wrapping citrus fruits in cheesecloth (or a clean knee-high) before squeezing.
6. Easily slice soft cheese with unflavored dental floss.
7. Ensure an egg is still edible by placing it in a bowl of cold water. If it sinks, it’s good.
8. Place a cup of water in the microwave to prevent food from drying out.
9. Use an ice cream scoop to remove seeds from melons and squash.
10. Turn a green banana yellow by putting it into a paper bag.
11. Easily remove a piece of eggshell with another piece of shell.
Related: Kitchen Utensils: What You Need, What You Don't, and When to Spend Extra Cash