Whether you’re a first-time dog owner or your favorite pastime is dog grooming, you’ll love these tips for dog owners. Don’t forget to check out more tips for your family after you’ve read through these.
1. Make your own dry dog shampoo with baking soda, cornstarch and lavender essential oils.
Cornstarch and baking soda absorb oils and help give your dog a shiny coat, while lavender oil not only helps your pup smell fresh but also protects him or her from fleas.
Check out the full recipe on how to make dry dog shampoo here.
2. Keep your dog occupied for hours by filling a Kong with homemade frozen treats.
Simply take a cup of plain, unsweetened yogurt and mix it with a handful of blueberries or a cup of mashed banana. Fill the Kong and then freeze until the mixture is solid.
And if you’re worried about getting your pet’s Kong clean, try throwing it in the dishwasher!
3. Freshen breath by applying doggy toothpaste to a lint remover, then have your dog lick it off.
This is a great breath-freshener in between dog-grooming appointments. The bad-breath germs that live on your dog’s tongue will scrub off when he or she licks the rough surface of a lint remover.
4. Price match competitors’ ads in-store at Petco and Petsmart.
Every dog owner knows how expensive dog food and supplies are, but did you know there are also easy ways to save? This is one of the best ways to save when shopping at these stores.
5. Dispense dog food easily with a plastic pitcher.
If you hate reaching into a giant dog-food bag with a tiny cup twice a day, then this dog-owner hack will change your life.
Bonus! If you don’t like paying full price for dog food, then make sure to check our dog food coupons and deals page before you go shopping.
6. Protect your dog’s paws in the snow with Vaseline.
First-time dog owner? Then you should know that dogs’ paws can be super sensitive to outside elements during dog walking. Apply vaseline on your dog’s paws to prevent salt and harmful chemicals from drying out his paws.
7. Repurpose an old tennis ball by turning it into a treat dispenser.
Cut a slit in a tennis ball, and squeeze to add dog treats.
Check out these other amazing ways to save on cat and dog supplies, too.
8. Fill a clean syrup bottle with water and use it as a portable, squirtable water bottle.
Attach a carabiner to the handle to easily attach to a belt or pack when you’re out for dog walking.
9. Use a shower cap as a travel dog bowl.
You’ll have to hold it open for him, but it’ll take up almost zero space in a backpack if you’re hiking.
10. Give your dog a Dawn dish soap bath if he has fleas.
Dawn soap breaks down fleas’ exoskeletons, killing them almost instantly. Use it in the summer when you’re giving baths between dog grooming appointments.
If you like using Dawn, then we also have Dawn Dish Soap Uses That Will Make Your Life Easier!
11. Or spray apple cider vinegar on your dog’s coat to get rid of fleas.
If you don’t have time to give a bath, then mix 1 part apple cider vinegar and 2 parts water in a spray bottle to ward off fleas.
12. Braid strips of old shirts together to make a DIY dog rope.
You can also use old towels or jeans — anything your pup can sink her teeth into and that you won’t mind giving up.
13. Tie and braid strips of an old shirt around a tennis ball to make a DIY tug toy.
Cut an old shirt into strips slightly wider than the ball. One at a time, tie the strips tightly around the ball, alternating directions till the ball is covered completely. Braid the strips and tie off the ends to finish it.
14. Make homemade dog treats with pumpkin and banana.
I like to mix a can of pureed pumpkin with a banana in my food processor or blender. Then I spoon it into an ice cube tray and freeze. They’re great to help your dog cool down in the summer heat!
Don’t worry about scrolling back up! Here are all the links we mentioned:
- How to Make Dry Dog Shampoo
- Petco/Petsmart coupons & deals
- PetSmart Hacks You Won’t Want to Shop Without
- Dog food coupons & deals
- Amazing Ways to Save on Cat and Dog Supplies
- Unexpected Ways to Repurpose Plastic Laundry Detergent Containers Supplies
- Dawn Dish Soap Uses That Will Make Your Life Easier