Expecting momma-to-be, first-time mom, or on your fifth kid? No matter what, you’re gonna have questions.
Here are 27 baby hacks your friends really should have told you about (but probably didn’t).
Oh, and before you run off to buy a bunch of new baby stuff, make sure you check out our baby deals. You’ll save some serious cash and know all the latest baby hacks. You’re welcome.
1. Never buy diapers and baby wipes without a coupon.
2. Turn an empty baby wipes holder into a travel diaper-changing station.
Attach a small baby wipes package to the top of the holder with rubber bands, and store extra diapers with a change of clothes in the bottom.
3. Use a makeup brush to “paint” diaper cream on your baby instead of getting it on your hands.
Diaper cream does its job and stays put, which means it’s tough to get off of your hands. Just make sure you’re washing the brush regularly!
Oh, and check out these diaper cream coupons, too!
4. Roll their onesie over their arms while changing a diaper.
It’s like a baby straight jacket — but better.
5. Check if a diaper is wet or dirty (without opening the diaper) by the diaper’s color line.
This baby hack may not be new to some of you, but it was for me! Most diapers are made with a yellow line in the front that turns blue when your baby is wet.
6. Stop a baby from peeing on you by wiping a baby wipe across their belly before diaper changes.
This will likely inspire your baby to pee in the diaper before you open it.
7. Use a basket to make diaper supplies portable.
You probably have so much baby stuff! Snag a basket similar to this from Dollar Tree, and stock the basket with baby wipes, a few diapers, and a change of clothes — just in case of a blowout. It’ll be organized and handy.
8. Make a rice glove to “trick” your baby into thinking they’re sleeping next to you.
Heat up the rice glove in the microwave and lay it next to your baby at bedtime. They will think they are lying right up next to you.
9. Add a double layer of bedding in your baby crib for middle-of-the-night blowouts.
Make for an easy baby crib cleanup by layering a mattress pad with a sheet, another mattress pad and a sheet — in case an accident happens in the middle of the night.
10. Keep baby socks together in the laundry with a mesh bag.
Losing all that cute baby stuff is the worst. Keep those tiny socks together with this easy baby hack.
11. Store outgrown baby clothes in diaper boxes.
Not ready to get rid of all your baby clothes? Choose a box that coordinates with the size of clothes you’re storing, and there’ll be no need to label the boxes!
Check these baby deals before buying the next size up!
12. When traveling with baby, prevent stains in the car with a fitted sheet.
Only use a thin sheet or material to prevent stains under car seats, and keep in mind that car seats are typically not tested with any fabrics underneath them.
13. Keep baby pacifiers clean when traveling by storing them in small Tupperware containers.
Keep one in every room of the house and in your car.
14. Pack an extra shirt for yourself in the diaper bag.
All parents know to pack extra clothes for the baby. But few think about an extra change of clothes for themselves in case your baby spits up on you…or worse. Think of it as a bag for baby stuff and mom stuff.
15. When traveling with baby, cover outlets with painters tape or Band-Aids.
Going on vacation or staying with family over the weekend? Use painters tape or Band-Aids to cover outlets. Of course, electrical tape works too!
16. Keep your baby things within reach while traveling by hanging a bag with a carabiner clip from your headrest.
Their things will be within your reach, AND there will be extra space on the floor.
17. Deodorize baby bottles with toothpaste.
Get rid of that stale-milk smell from baby bottles. Squirt some toothpaste in the bottle, add warm water, shake, and rinse out.
Check out our toothpaste coupons and deals to stock up.
18. Skip baby puffs and buy Cheerios (with coupons) instead.
19. Put a command hook on the back of a baby high chair to avoid searching for a bib.
You probably didn’t think of Command Hooks when you thought of all the baby stuff you need, but this is one of the best baby hacks.
Using coupons for Command Hooks is another sweet mom hack.
20. Make yogurt fun to eat by freezing it in dots.
Yogurt is such an easy baby food! Fill a pastry bag or Ziploc bag (snip a corner off) with yogurt, and pipe yogurt onto wax paper and freeze.
Add natural food coloring for more fun!
21. Cut a small piece off the nipple of a pacifier every time your baby uses it to wean them off.
By doing this, your baby won’t like the texture as you cut pieces off, and they will eventually not want it anymore.
22. Write a chart on the side of the medicine bottle to keep track.
Mom brain. It’s a real thing.
Use this little baby hack and you’ll never forget when you last gave your baby medicine by making a chart and taping it on the side of the bottle.
23. Invest in a Kinsa Smart Thermometer.
This thermometer requires no batteries, keeps kids entertained with a game, and connects directly to your smartphone for results in seconds.
You can buy one from Amazon for $25.
24. Spread applesauce on a piece of cloth, roll it up, and freeze to soothe teething pains.
Then, hand the cloth to your baby and let them suck on the frozen applesauce when their gums hurt. You could use baby food in a pinch, but the sweetness of applesauce is perfect.
25. Prevent bath toys from getting moldy by plugging the hole with hot glue.
Bath toys never fully dry on the inside, so they’re a breeding ground for mold and bacteria. This little mom hack will keep your kiddos’ toys squeaky clean during bath time.
26. Cover your baby’s window with aluminum foil for a cheap blackout effect.
For the times when you need a dark room and don’t have blackout shades…here you go.
27. Catch crumbs under a high chair with an old shower curtain.
If it gets covered in baby food, you can just toss it in the washing machine.
Have more baby hacks? Share them in the comments!