We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Expecting a baby? Congrats! Now it’s time to get saving before the little one comes. A great place to start is the Target Baby Registry.
A few minutes of your time setting it up can let your family and friends know what things you need or want for your new arrival and save you all kinds of money (which you’re gonna need with a baby on the way).
For more money-saving deals, tips, and coupons, download the KCL app.
Related: Getting Married? Check Out These Tips For a Target Wedding Registry.
1. Create your Target Baby Registry for the swag and these benefits:
Starting your baby registry at Target comes with a slew of benefits, like:
- Universal registry: If you love something from another store that Target doesn’t carry, you can still add it to your Target baby registry.
- Group gifting: Does everyone at work want to pool their money together to get you a big item, like a crib or a car seat? They can easily do so with Target’s baby registry.
- Year-long return policy: Usually Target’s return policy is 90 days, or 120 days for RedCard holders. But anything purchased from your baby registry has a one-year return window.
- Checklist: Especially if this is your first baby, you might not know everything you need. The checklist feature helps you make sure you’re not missing anything big.
- Welcome Kit: Target’s baby registries come with a Welcome Kit full of free samples and coupons. Make sure you claim it!
- A year’s worth of special Target baby coupons for Circle members (more on that later).
PRO TIP: With the Target registry app, you can build your baby registry by scanning items while you’re walking through the store or browsing online.
2. Claim your Target baby registry Welcome Kit.
After you’ve given Target the basic info it needs to start your baby registry, you should be prompted to click “Get Welcome Kit.” Your Welcome Kit is a bag full of over $100 worth of free samples and digital coupons.
You have two options:
- Go into your local Target and scan the barcode from your registry app.
- Have the kit shipped with a Target order of $35 or more.
If you choose to pick up your kit in store, call your local Target to verify they have Baby Welcome Kits, because mine was out. During the pandemic, the focus has shifted more to shipping out Welcome Kits than having them available in store.
3. Get a year’s worth of coupons through Target Circle starting after your due date.
To receive a year’s worth of exclusive Target Circle offers for baby, here’s what you do:
- Download the Target app and create a baby registry
- Join Target Circle
- After your due date, you’ll start to see monthly offers appear in your Target Circle offers section under “Baby”
These deals include high-value coupons on items like diapers, wipes and more — geared toward baby’s various milestones. I’ve also received offers that added up to more than $50 in savings, plus you’ll get coupons emailed to you related to your samples. For example, the sample-related coupons I received were:
- $5 off Pampers diapers with purchase of 333-count or larger Pampers wipes
- $1.50/1 Pampers Swaddlers
- $1 off Pampers wipes 56 count or larger
- $2 off Dreft Newborn Liquid laundry detergent
- $0.25/1 Dawn product
- $0.50/1 Cascade Dishwasher Detergent, Rinse Aid, or Dishwasher Cleaner
- $0.50/1 Boogie Wipes, Boogie Mist, Boogie Drops, or Boogie Bottoms products
4. Expecting twins? Set up two registries for double Welcome Kits.
Yep, Target will give you a free gift bag for each baby you’re expecting. However, you have to create a separate baby registry.
Unfortunately, this means you’ll need to create an entirely separate Target account for any additional baby registries to get another kit. But it’s a minor inconvenience to get more free stuff.
5. Create your Target Baby Registry with the Checklist feature.
Never had a baby before? You might not know what you need. Luckily, when you create a Target baby registry, you’ll get access to the Checklist feature. Checklist reminds you to register for items across a number of categories like:
- Strollers and car seats
- Gear and activity, including things like play yards, baby swings, and baby carriers
- Nursery furniture, like baby cribs and gliders or rocking chairs
- Diapering, so you don’t forget to pick up the extras like baby wipes, changing pad covers, and diaper rash cream
- Nursery bedding and essentials
- Bath, for things like baby bath tubs, hooded bath towels and bath toys
- Health and safety, including things like baby gates, baby monitors, and other child proofing products
- Clothing, which isn’t just baby clothes, but also things like gentle laundry detergent
- Toys and books, including baby toys like teethers, rattles, and soft plush toys
Parenting, which is a category that reminds you to get all sentimental with photo albums and cameras, and to study up with parenting books.
6. Use your Target baby registry for baby shower thank you notes.
The Target baby registry makes it easy to keep track of who bought what. Which is super helpful, because odds are you were a little distracted at your baby shower and didn’t write everything down.
When you go to write your thank you notes, simply enter the gift tracker part of the app. There you’ll be able to see the gift, how many were purchased, and who purchased it. There’s even a checkbox to log if you sent the thank you note yet!
PRO TIP: Group gifts won’t show up in the gift tracker, so be sure to send those thank yous separately.
7. Take advantage of the 15% off coupon at the 8-week mark.
Eight weeks before your baby is due, Target will email you a 15% off coupon that you can use on the items that weren’t bought off your registry. The coupon is also available in the registry app. Here are the rules:
- Your registry has to have items in it and your registry has to be active for at least 14 days before Target emails the coupon (which they do eight weeks before your due date.) For example, if your due date is Dec. 1, make sure there’s stuff in your registry by the end of September.
- You can use the coupon once online and once in the store.
- The coupon doesn’t expire until six months after your due date, so you don’t have to use it right away, which allows you to continue to add items to your registry if you forgot something.
You can even add items to the registry after the baby is born!
8. Stack your savings with the 15% off Target baby registry coupon.
9. You can’t use the Target baby registry coupon on everything.
Some items aren’t eligible for the Target registry coupon, including:
- Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn
- Hatch Maternity
- Dairy milk
- Clinic and pharmacy products
- Gift cards
- Honest Baby
- HALO baby
- Hudson Baby
- Infant optics
- Luvable Friends
- Mega Bloks
- Monica + Andy
- Philips Avent
- Q by Quincy Mae
You can find a full list of exclusions here.
10. You can return items from your Target baby registry for a year.
I mentioned this above, but it’s a point worth celebrating twice! As long as an item is on your baby registry, you’ve got a full year to return it after your due date.
11. You can make Target baby registry returns without a receipt.
No receipt? No problem. If the item’s on your Target baby registry, you won’t need a receipt to make your return. Just make sure you have your registry app ready.
12. You can return used items off of your Target baby registry.
- Cat & Jack
- Cloud Island
13. The gifter will not know you returned their present.
Let’s say you super hate that onsie your great-aunt bought, or you got so many size 1 diapers there’s no way you’ll go through all of them.
You can make returns from your Target baby registry without worries — the gift giver will not be notified. That way, you can take the refund money and put it towards something else you need more without hurting any feelings.
14. Your Target baby registry expires 18 months after your due date.
People will be able to look up your Target baby registry and purchase gifts for up to a year after your due date. You will be able to access your own registry for up to 18 months after your due date.
Any baby registry hacks we missed? Leave them in the comments!