As the Russian invasion of Ukraine continues, you may be wondering what you can do to help — especially if you feel like you can’t afford to give directly to Ukrainian relief organizations like Unicef, Save the Children, CARE, Project Hope and Razom for Ukraine.
The coupon community can use some of their tools to make a difference right now that won’t cost you anything (unless you decide to make direct donations).
Here’s what you can do to help Ukraine:
1. Donate your Ibotta savings to Ukrainian charities.
Once you hit at least $20 in rebates, you can cash out rewards to PayPal account — and once it’s in your account, you can turn around and donate it to various organizations working to help Ukraine.
You can donate your PayPal balance to countless organizations. If you’re looking for an easy place to start, check out these vetted organizations:
- Nova Ukraine: An American-based nonprofit organization that works closely with Ukrainian organizations. Right now, they’re using monetary donations to assemble supply packages with diapers for children and adults, baby food, medical supplies, and dry food. (Donate here.)
- Voices of Children: This Ukraine-based organization provides psychological support to children who have experienced war. They provide financial assistance to families, mobile mental health treatment, and use art therapy and storytelling to help children recover from trauma. They’re also helping with evacuations in active war zones. (Donate here.)
- Global Giving’s Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund: Donations to this fund support humanitarian assistance in impacted Ukrainian communities, as well as areas where Ukrainian refugees have fled. Donations provide shelter, food, water, medical and psychological treatment, educational resources, and economic assistance. (Donate here.)
- Revived Soldiers Ukraine: A nonprofit dedicated to providing aid to the people of Ukraine, as well as Ukrainian soldiers and their families. You can also donate to RSU through AmazonSmile in tip 3. (Donate here.)
2. Use Tab for a Cause to donate to Ukraine charities at no cost to you when you open new browser tabs.
It doesn’t cost you anything to use the browser extension Tab for a Cause.
When you open a new tab, unobtrusive ads on the new tab page raise money that is then given to nonprofits — you don’t even have to click any ads!
When you choose to support Tab for Ukraine, the ad revenue is donated to Save The Children, an organization that’s been working in Ukraine to provide humanitarian relief and lifesaving interventions since 2014. They help supply basic needs like food, shelter, water and water purification, clothing, cash grants, and medicine.
A single new tab can generate 1/10 of a cent to 1 cent for your chosen charity. That really adds up! You can even look at Tab for a Cause’s financial statements to see how much help users provide.
Here’s how to get going:
3. Let Amazon donate to Ukrainian charities on your behalf with AmazonSmile.
If you’re not using AmazonSmile, you’re missing out on a HUGE opportunity to help charities.
AmazonSmile is exactly the same as regular Amazon, except half of 1% of every purchase goes to the charity of your choice. It costs NO EXTRA to do this — so why wouldn’t you?
Here’s what you do:
- Visit smile.amazon.com.
- Log in with your Amazon account.
- Change your charity to one of the above or search for Ukraine nonprofits.
- Make purchases like normal (making sure you’re using smile.amazon.com).
Note: If you use the Amazon app, tap the menu button in the lower right corner of the app, scroll until you see the AmazonSmile option, and then make sure you set it up to make donations. You have to renew the connection twice a year.