We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
The Amazon Trade-In program is a great way to get paid for old tech items you have lying around the house. It’s also handy if you’re looking to upgrade your device because who doesn’t love discounts on the latest tech?
You can trade in items you bought from anywhere or buy used Amazon devices and other tech items from brands like Apple, Google Home, and Samsung. And now that we’re expecting another Amazon Prime Day in October 2023— Amazon’s big sale event that’s only for Prime members — you can even use Amazon Trade-In to snag more money off your Prime Day shopping cart.
1. Get an Amazon gift card based on the current value of your old device.
This is the basic schtick. On the Amazon Trade-In page, identify the product you want to trade in, answer a couple of questions about its condition, and you’ll get a quote for the trade-in value.
Here are some examples of trade-in credits (for working devices in good condition with all of the included accessories):
- Echo Show: 1st Generation Black, $30 Amazon gift card
- Ring Video Doorbell 2 with HD Video: $15 Amazon gift card
- All Amazon Fire TV devices & Fire TV Sticks: $0.99 Amazon gift card (even in bad condition with no accessories)
- Echo (3rd Gen): $25 Amazon gift card
2. Plus, get up to 25% off a new Amazon device.
In addition to an Amazon gift card, you’ll also get an offer for a discount to use on a new device. Plan on getting 20% – 25% off. This promo gets applied to your Amazon account automatically.
3. Stack the deals to get up to 50% off when you trade in devices like the Amazon Echo.
This works for all Amazon devices, but here’s an example using an Echo. You can get up to 50% off a new Amazon device when you stack your upgrade discount with your gift card. Here’s how to do it:
Take 25% off for trading in an Echo device ($25)
Use $25 Amazon gift card from trade-in for Amazon for Echo (3rd Gen)
Final price: $49.99 (50% off)
I actually just scored the regularly priced $49.99 Echo Dot 4th Gen Clock for less than $20 on Prime Day by using a trade-in.
With the extra $5 I got instantly for submitting a trade-in request (not pictured), it came out to $17.03 total.
4. Get a $10 – $25 Amazon gift card and 20% off an upgrade for a Kindle Fire trade-in.
A Kindle Fire tablet trade-in will get you a $10 Amazon gift card, and Fire HD or HDX models will get you a $25 Amazon gift card.
Trading in any Fire or Fire HD tablet will also land you that extra 20% off a new Kindle Fire purchase.
5. Get 20% off when you do a Kindle trade-in.
All 21 different Kindle products from 2007 – 2019 qualify for the Kindle trade-in discount on new e-readers. (You’ll also get at least a $5 Amazon gift card.)
The original Kindle will still earn you $5 in credit on top of the discounts, and the 2019 version gets you $20 in credit.
6. Trade in your Fire Stick and get 20% off a new model.
Sure, you’ll also get a $3 Amazon gift card for your Fire Stick trade-in, but the 20% discount on a new Fire Stick model is even more exciting. Eligible trade-ins include:
- Fire TVs
- Fire TV Sticks
- Fire TV Cube
- Apple TV
- Google Chromecast
7. Trade in your home security device for 20% off new Ring products.
And it doesn’t just have to be a Ring product that you’re trading in. Eligible home security trade-ins include:
- Ring cameras & video doorbells
- Blink cameras
- Nest cameras
- Amazon Cloud Cams
- Wyze Cam V2 1080P Indoor Smart Home Camera
- Arlo cameras
8. You can even trade in an iPad on Amazon to get 20% off a new Fire tablet.
Got an iPad Mini? It’ll get you just $7.50 in trade-in value, but it’ll also knock 20% off the $89.99 Fire Tablet HD 8 cost.
Together, the discounts will make the tablet $64.49 (28% off).
Eligible tablet trade-ins include:
- All Fire Tablets (Fire, Fire HD, Fire HDX, Fire Kids Edition)
- Apple iPad (Mini, Mini 2, 1st Generation, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2)
- Samsung (Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Note Pro)
- Google Nexus 9 & 10
9. Amazon will even give you money for your old smartphone (including iPhone).
The Amazon gift card trade-in value varies widely for cell phones, but for Apple, you can get $55 for an iPhone 7 and $511 for an iPhone 11Pro Max. For Samsung, you’ll see $36 for a Galaxy 7S Edge and up to $290 for the Galaxy S20.
You can trade in a phone made by any of these manufacturers:
10. Game trade-in? Yep, Amazon does that, too.
Amazon game trade-in takes consoles, games, and accessories. Amazon accepts Microsoft (Xbox), Nintendo, and Sony (Playstation) consoles. For game trade-ins, you’ll get a gift card ranging from a couple of dollars (Avengers or Return of the Jedi for Xbox One) to $16.48 for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War for Xbox One.