I’m not sure when it happened, but mattress shopping is no longer a nightmare. You can actually find legit mattress deals if you know the best places to look. Blame it on better competition, diverse materials, and a little more transparency in a pretty shady industry. The point is that nowadays you get to be a little more picky while still finding the best mattress deals.
That’s why I’m here, so read on for the best deals I found on anything mattress related. If you want all of the deals, then download the Krazy Coupon Lady app and get them all sent straight to your phone.
What should I look for in the best mattress deals?
When it comes to the best mattress deals, it can get a little tricky. After all, you don’t want to compromise quality or comfort. You’re going to be sleeping on this thing! It’s a good idea to set a budget and look at the mattresses available in that price range. It would be a huge bummer to fall in love with a mattress that’s simply not in your budget.
Once you’ve narrowed down that price range, research the different types of mattresses. Do you want a pillowtop variety? Or a mattress with an adjustable base? Hone in on these details, and then look at reviews.
If you’re buying a mattress online without a brick-and-mortar store, reviews are key. Additionally, you’ll want to know the company return policy if you find the mattress isn’t a fit after it has been delivered to your home.
Now, about those deals …
1. On October Prime Day, Nectar Sleep unveiled their best mattress deal ever.
Nectar Sleep didn’t used to give big discounts, not even for their major sales. Not long ago their Black Friday consisted of the following: two pillows, one mattress protector, one set of sheets, and one duvet with every purchase — and that was about the best we’d seen.
They caught our on October Prime Day when Nectar ran its biggest promotion ever — $200 off a The Nectar mattress plus $499 worth of accessories free. This included two cooling pillows, a sheet set, and mattress protector.
For a Queen size The Nectar mattress, the cost with this deal broke down like this:
- Mattress, Queen size, $799 (orig. price $999)
- Queen Sheet Set by Resident, Free (orig. price $200)
- 2 Cooling Pillows by Resident, Free (orig. price $200)
- Mattress Protector by Resident, Free (orig. price $99)
- Final Price: $799, with an overall savings of 48%
This really sets the bar for Nectar’s best mattress deals, and we’ll be watching for sales to save 48% in the future.
Nectar’s 365-day trial period is more than three times as long as the trial periods from outlets such as Casper, Tuft and Needle, and Purple. Nectar’s policy is to provide a full refund, and they also won’t charge you for return shipping. (Purple charges for return shipping.)
The best part? Nectar won’t require that the freebies are returned along with the original purchase. Sure, maybe you’ll love the mattress and won’t want to return it. But if not, you won’t catch me complaining about $499 in free stuff.
PRO TIP: Call Nectar’s customer support, where reps have been known to offer an additional $30 off if you’re willing to buy your mattress from them over the phone.
2. Wait for Casper’s Black Friday sale to save $540 — that’s 30% off!
Like I said, Casper tends to stick to 15% off discounts during most holidays. That changes for Black Friday.
During previous Black Fridays, Casper touted their Best-Selling Bundle including one mattress, one foundation, and one mattress protector — discounted at 30% off.
- Buy 1 Best-Selling Bundle, King – Includes 1 Original Mattress, 1 Foundation, and 1 Mattress Protector (reg. $1,800) $1,260 sale price through Nov. 30
- Free shipping
- Final Price: $1,260
Related: The Best Time to Buy a Mattress
3. Use your healthcare or first responder discount at Tuft & Needle, not Purple Mattress, to save 5% more.
Don’t waste your discount at Purple Mattress because you can’t stack it with a sale and it’s only 10% off!
Instead, go to Tuft & Needle, which offers first responders, healthcare workers, and military personnel 15% off any Tuft & Needle mattress. Sure, Tuft & Needle’s discount isn’t stackable either, but that extra 5% makes a difference of about $65.
- Buy 1 Tuft & Needle Queen-Sized Mint Mattress (reg. $1,795)
- Take 15% off with the code given to veterans, first responders, or healthcare workers
- Final Price: $1,525.75
- Compare at $1,709.10 (reg. $1,899) from Purple
TIP: If this applies to you, it’s always a good idea to check if businesses have first responder, military, or veteran discounts.
4. Save an average of $300 and get a free base during Mattress Firm’s sale events.
Mattress Firm runs nearly identical sales throughout the year, like over Fourth of July and holiday weekends. These involve queen-sized mattresses priced like twin-sized mattresses (or kings priced like queens). If you spend more than $499, Mattress Firm will throw in two free bedding items as well. Recently these included a tulo Microfiber Sheet Set and tulo Smooth Mattress Protector ($99.98 value).
The one drawback? Although shipping to your door is free, Mattress Firm will charge $149 to install an adjustable frame if you purchase one.
- Buy 1 Beautyrest Silver BRS900-C 13.75″ Extra Firm Mattress (reg. $1,599.99) $799.99
- Use 2FREE for two free bedding items with $499+ order
- Free shipping to your door ($149 for setup with an adjustable base)
- Final Price: as low as $799.99
5. Buy from JCPenney when sales include free shipping to boost savings to 70%.
JCPenney runs doorbuster sales that bring prices on Sealy and Serta mattresses down by more than 60% on a near-monthly basis. However, the best sales happen when the store offers free shipping as well.
Recently, JCPenney ran one of their best mattress deals with a 65% savings on a Simmons Beautyrest mattress.
- Buy 1 Simmons Beautyrest Dreamwell Holiday Firm Tight Top – Mattress Only (reg. 850 – $1,650) $332.23 – $665.56 sale price
- Use promo code WITCHES for 10% off
- If you wait until shipping is free, you’ll save $75 (there is a $25 charge to haul away old mattresses)
- Final Price (if you wait for free shipping): as low as $299.99
6. Get your mattress pads for 80% off during Macy’s Black Friday sale.
- Buy 1 Martha Stewart Essentials Waterproof Mattress Pad (reg. $60 – $120) $19.99 sale price
- Free shipping on orders of $25+ or free curbside pickup
- Final Price: $19.99
I’ve also seen quilted mattress pads discounted during Macy’s Lowest Prices of the Season event, including this one from Ella Jayne.
- Buy 1 Ella Jayne Classic Quilted Mattress Protector (reg. $49 – $69) $11.99 – $16.99 sale price
- Free shipping on orders of $25+ or free store pickup
- Final Price: as low as $11.99
7. Hit Walmart’s memory foam mattress sales and save 30 – 45%.
If you feel like a memory foam topper simply isn’t enough, turn to Walmart.
The best mattress deals on memory foam at Walmart take place in January. I’ve found memory foam products marked down to about 45% off. Here’s what one of our favorite deals on the Lucid Refresh Gel Memory Foam Mattress looks like:
- Buy 1 Lucid Refresh Gel Memory Foam Mattress (reg. $239.99 – $469.99) $139 – $399, rollback price
- Free 2-day shipping with Walmart+, or free shipping on orders of $35+
- Final Price: as low as $139
8. Walmart’s air mattress savings beat Target — unless it’s Serta.
The best sales I’ve seen on air mattresses have been from Walmart, like a queen-sized Bestways AlwayzAire Tough Guard Mattress. Currently, they have it for $98 (plus free 2-day shipping with Walmart+ or free shipping on orders of $35+).
Lowe’s has a similar Bestways air mattress, but it’s priced at $133.59.
Target does have some of the best mattress deals on Serta air mattresses by a long shot, especially if you’re a RedCard member (shout out to that extra 5% discount). We find deals like this one multiple times throughout the year:
- Buy 1 Serta 16″ Raised Queen Size Airbed with Internal AC Pump (reg. $119.99) $49 on sale
- Free shipping
- Final Price: $49 shipped (compare at $115 from Walmart)
9. Hunt down 65% off camping air mattresses at Zulily starting in May.
A bit of a niche buy, but if you’re planning to go on any long road trips, Zulily consistently has sales in the spring on inflatable travel mattresses. That’s when I found this deal:
- Buy 1 Zone Tech Black Inflatable Travel Mattress Set (reg. $59.99) $18.99 sale price
- $5.99+ shipping or free shipping on your 2nd order
- Final Price: $18.99
Sales come and sales go, but this guide should give you a good idea around what to look for in the best mattress deals. From different mattress types to a plethora of brands, there are a lot of options out there. Look for value, look for a large discount, and when you can get it, always keep an eye out for free shipping.