So, you haven’t started your holiday shopping yet. And you hate going to the mall. I hear you!
I’ve got the best news ever: Free shipping day is coming! You’ll still have time to shop online, pay zero shipping fees and receive your packages by Christmas Eve. So go ahead and put off shopping until December 14th, AKA: Free Shipping Day, your new BFF.
1. You can get free shipping at over 300 stores.
This year’s list of participating stores isn’t done yet (some stores wait until the very last minute to announce their participation), but we do know some big names offered free shipping last year.
Target, Staples, Ann Taylor, Aeropostale, Barnes and Noble, Banana Republic, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Cabela’s, Carter’s, Dillard’s, Famous Footwear, GameStop and Overstock are participating in 2019.
Be sure to check the Free Shipping Day website on Dec. 14th for the full list of participating stores.
2. You can get free shipping at stores that don’t always offer free shipping — like Target and Bloomingdale’s.
2. You’ll still get your packages by Christmas Eve.
3. You can use additional promo codes and get even deeper discounts when you shop online.
You’ve probably noticed how some retailers do offer free shipping on other days of the year. But it’s often a promo code, and sometimes it’s the only promo code you can use. Two takeaways here — first, shopping on Free Shipping Day frees up that one promo code so you can apply a dollar-off or percentage-off discount and still get free shipping.
Second, be sure to stack codes at retailers that allow this! Here are a few:
- Victoria’s Secret: Up to three codes per order
- Old Navy: Up to five codes per order
- Kohl’s: Up to four codes per order (Two on a mobile device)
- Banana Republic, Gap and Athleta: Up to five codes per order
- Target: Unlimited codes per order
- Michaels: Unlimited codes per order
- Sears: Unlimited codes per order
4. Watch out for retailers that say they’re participating in Free Shipping Day but don’t actually offer free shipping.
Yes, this is actually a thing.
Some retailers and brands are piggybacking on the marketing benefits of “Free Shipping Day,” but you still have to pay a minimum amount to reach the Free Shipping threshold when you buy from them.
For example, in 2018 JCPenney offered free shipping on orders over $49, and Sears only offered free shipping on orders over $39. In order to find out whether a retailer’s “Free Shipping” is actually free, always read the terms and conditions to see if there’s a minimum spend requirement.
If you sat out during Black Friday and Cyber Monday, you’re gonna love this fun fact.
in 2018, Amazon’s sales spiked on Free Shipping Day with their highest numbers since Cyber Monday. This means you shouldn’t ignore Amazon when it comes to Free Shipping Day, even if you already have Amazon Prime!
Also, Walmart was one of the very first participants of Free Shipping day in 2015, and Kohl’s was the heavy hitter for Black Friday 2019. Both stores have consistently offered great sales on Free Shipping Day.
Here are some of our other favorite last-minute sales and deals from 2018:
- Bath and Body Works: All hand soaps $3, 3-Wick Candles B2G2, $10 off $30 with code SNOWDAY
- Target: 50% off women’s sweaters, 30% off apparel and boots and free shipping.
- Best Buy: 50% off Gourmia Air Fryers and Pressure Cookers and free shipping.
- Macy’s: Carter’s 2-Piece Pajama Sets for $5 and free shipping.
- Build-A-Bear: 40% off Christmas Furry Friends, free shipping.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: 25% off YETI and free shipping.
6. Remember to shop clearance online in addition to sales in order to save the most money at the last minute.
Really squeeze the most value out of Free Shipping Day by getting clearance items shipped for free.
Look for markdowns of 50%-70% off regular prices or items you can’t buy in stores.