Procrastinate much? Mark your calendar for Free Shipping Day on December 14, 2021 if you find yourself scrambling to get holiday gifts delivered by Christmas Eve every year.
Free Shipping Day is kind of like the last hurrah for retailers offering free shipping promotions during the holiday shopping season. Started in 2008, National Free Shipping Day has brought hundreds of retailers together to offer no-cost delivery to shoppers, many with guaranteed delivery by Christmas Eve.
To be in the know about procrastinator-friendly retail promotions and holiday sales, download the free KCL app and read on!
1. Get free shipping at over 300 stores on December 14, Free Shipping Day.
The complete list of retailers offering free shipping on December 14 is still in the works, but there were 311 retailers on 2020’s list of participating stores (with some stores waiting until the very last minute to announce their participation). With more and more people shopping online, it’s safe to say we can expect more stores to offer free shipping in 2021 than they did in 2020.
Be sure to check the Free Shipping Day website on December 14 for the full list of participating stores.
2. Get free shipping at stores that don’t always offer free shipping — like Target and Bloomingdale’s.
Bloomingdale’s free shipping minimum is normally $150, and while Target RedCard holders might get free shipping anytime, the rest of us should jump on Target shopping during Free Shipping Day. In 2019, Target offered free shipping with no minimum for nearly two months. They didn’t offer this in 2020, but we’re hopeful it’ll return this year. Stay tuned!
2. Get gifts delivered by Christmas Eve.
Here’s the deal — Free Shipping Day also happens to be one of the last days you can get standard shipping that’s guaranteed to reach you by Christmas Eve. You can procrastinate even more if you want to and shop online after Dec.14th, but you’re gonna pay more for expedited shipping.
3. Use additional promo codes and get even deeper discounts when you shop online.
You’ve probably noticed how some retailers do offer free shipping on other days of the year. But it’s often a promo code, and sometimes it’s the only promo code you can use.
Two takeaways here — first, shopping on Free Shipping Day means no free shipping promo code needed. Use that free promo code spot for a dollar-off or percentage-off discount instead. (But, some stores are offering free shipping on Free Shipping Day with a promo code, so be sure to read the instructions on the store site carefully.)
Second, be sure to stack codes at retailers that allow this! Here are a few:
- Victoria’s Secret: Up to three codes per order
- Old Navy: Up to five codes per order
- Kohl’s: Up to four codes per order (Two on a mobile device)
- Banana Republic, Gap and Athleta: Up to five codes per order
- Target: Unlimited codes per order
- Michaels: Unlimited codes per order
4. Watch out for retailers that say they’re participating in Free Shipping Day, but don’t actually offer free shipping.
Yes, this is actually a thing.
Some retailers and brands are piggybacking on the marketing benefits of “Free Shipping Day,” but you still have to pay a minimum amount to reach the Free Shipping threshold when you buy from them.
For example, Kohl’s only offered free shipping on orders over $75. In order to find out whether a retailer’s “Free Shipping” is actually free, always read the terms and conditions to see if there’s a minimum spend requirement.
6. Save the most money at the last minute by shopping clearance online in addition to sales.
Really squeeze the most value out of Free Shipping Day by getting clearance items shipped for free.
Look for markdowns of 50%-70% off regular prices or items you can’t buy in stores.