So, you haven’t started your holiday shopping yet. And you really don’t want to go in store during the pandemic. I hear you!
I’ve got the best news ever: Free shipping day is coming! You’ll still have time to shop online, pay zero shipping fees and receive your packages by Christmas Eve. So go ahead and put off shopping until Monday, December 14th, AKA: Free Shipping Day, your new BFF.
1. You can get free shipping at over 300 stores.
With 311 stores on this year’s list of participating stores (with some stores waiting until the very last minute to announce their participation), we do know that more stores are offering free shipping in 2020 than they did in 2019, due to more shoppers shopping online.
Target, Staples, Ann Taylor, Aeropostale, Barnes and Noble, Banana Republic, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Cabela’s, Carter’s, Dillard’s, Famous Footwear, GameStop and Overstock are participating in 2019.
Be sure to check the Free Shipping Day website on Dec. 14th for the full list of participating stores.
2. You can get free shipping at stores that don’t always offer free shipping — like Target and Bloomingdale’s.
2. You’ll still get your packages by Christmas Eve.
3. You can use additional promo codes and get even deeper discounts when you shop online.
You’ve probably noticed how some retailers do offer free shipping on other days of the year. But it’s often a promo code, and sometimes it’s the only promo code you can use. Two takeaways here — first, shopping on Free Shipping Day could free up that one promo code so you can apply a dollar-off or percentage-off discount and still get free shipping. (But, some stores are offering free shipping on Free Shipping Day with a promo code, so be sure to read the instructions on the store site carefully.)
Second, be sure to stack codes at retailers that allow this! Here are a few:
- Victoria’s Secret: Up to three codes per order
- Old Navy: Up to five codes per order
- Kohl’s: Up to four codes per order (Two on a mobile device)
- Banana Republic, Gap and Athleta: Up to five codes per order
- Target: Unlimited codes per order
- Michaels: Unlimited codes per order
- Sears: Unlimited codes per order
4. Watch out for retailers that say they’re participating in Free Shipping Day but don’t actually offer free shipping.
Yes, this is actually a thing.
Some retailers and brands are piggybacking on the marketing benefits of “Free Shipping Day,” but you still have to pay a minimum amount to reach the Free Shipping threshold when you buy from them.
For example, in 2019 Walmart offered free shipping on orders over $35, and Kohl’s only offered free shipping on orders over $50. In order to find out whether a retailer’s “Free Shipping” is actually free, always read the terms and conditions to see if there’s a minimum spend requirement.
5. Target and Wayfair have great last-minute sales.
If you sat out during Black Friday and Cyber Monday, you’re gonna love this fun fact.
In 2019, Wayfair had a surprise 48-hour sale on Free Shipping Day, with some items marked over 85% off and free shipping/no minimums!
Target offered an extra 30% off women’s, kids and baby clothes.
Here are some of our other favorite last-minute sales and deals from 2018:
- Bath and Body Works: Buy 3 Get 2 Free Body Care, use code OHYES for free shipping
- Best Buy: $200 off select iPads and free shipping
- Macy’s: Extra $10 off sale, everyone gets $10 Macy’s money for every $50 spent
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: 25% off your entire purchase
6. Remember to shop clearance online in addition to sales in order to save the most money at the last minute.
Really squeeze the most value out of Free Shipping Day by getting clearance items shipped for free.
Look for markdowns of 50%-70% off regular prices or items you can’t buy in stores.