We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
SavingStar is a free smartphone app (also available online) that helps you save money without clipping or printing coupons by giving you money back on purchases you make. Like other cash-back rebate apps, you can submit pictures of your receipts or link your store loyalty card, and money will be credited to your account.
First things first: Download the SavingStar app before you go any further.
Once you’ve downloaded the app, look for two ways to redeem offers in SavingStar:
1. Load offers to your loyalty card (called Load-to-Card offers)
Once you activate the offer, just buy the item at your grocery store. When you enter your loyalty card or phone number, SavingStar will see your purchase within 2-10 days, and then your account will be credited with the offer amount. Savings do not come off at the time of purchase.
There are over 75 participating retail chains that allow you to redeem SavingStar offers with your store loyalty card. Load-to-card stores include CVS, Rite Aid, Kmart and select Kroger affiliates. See a full list of stores here.
How to redeem Load-to-Card offers:
- Add store loyalty cards to your SavingStar account through the app or website. Search for stores by zip code, and enter the number on your loyalty card.
- Activate the offer in SavingStar before you make your purchase.
- If an offer is available at multiple stores you’ve selected, you will automatically be rewarded at the store where you make your purchase.
- Make your purchase and look for your offer reward to automatically show up in your SavingStar account.
2. Take a picture of your receipt (called Receipt-Scan offers)
You can redeem the receipt-scan offers at retailers that do not have loyalty or membership cards. Other “receipt-scan” stores have loyalty cards but aren’t synced with SavingStar. The savings for these offers will be added to your SavingStar account after you make the purchase and snap a pic of your receipt.
Receipt-scan stores include Walmart, Target, Walgreens, Albertsons, and Publix. See a full list of stores here.
How to redeem receipt-scan offers:
- Activate the offer in SavingStar.
- Make a purchase and take a picture of your receipt.
- Submit a picture of your receipt through the mobile app (iPhone or Android) or through the website. When using the app, you will also be prompted to scan the UPC barcodes of the eligible products purchased. On the website, you will be prompted to manually enter the barcode number. Be sure to submit your receipt within three days of the expiration date on the offer.
- Receipts are processed within 1-5 days, and you will receive an email alert when complete.
Next, you’ll need to understand the two types of offers that you’ll find in the SavingStar app:
1. Individual-Product Offers
Individual offers are a dollar amount that you can earn back on one specific product, such as “$3.00/1 Any Advil PM 80 ct. or more.” They are generally good for one-time use only. Some offers are only available at a specific store and will state “Only at: Target.”
How to redeem Individual Offers:
- Add as many individual offers to your account as you’d like by clicking on “I want this.” There is no limit to the number of different offers you can activate.
- While in the store, if you’d like to see if a specific item qualifies for an offer, scan the barcode of the product using the SavingStar app.
- Automatic-Savings rewards will be posted to your account within 2-10 days after you’ve made a qualifying purchase. Receipt-Scan rewards will be posted within 2-10 days after you’ve submitted your receipt online or with the app.
2. One-or-Many Offers
One-or-Many offers will give you cash back once you spend an established amount on select products. An example of a One-or-Many offer is “Save $4.00 when you spend $16.00 on any Sargento shredded and sliced cheese.” These offers are typically only good for one-time use. One-or-Many offers generally have long valid periods so you can continue to work toward the threshold over a longer period of time.
One-or-more offers can be purchased in separate transactions, and they will be calculated after all store discounts, sales and coupons have been applied.
How to redeem One-or-Many Offers:
- Activate the offer(s) you are interested in with the app or website by clicking “I want this.” There is no limit to the number of offers you can activate.
- Shop for eligible products at one or many different participating stores, or in one or more trips to the same store. While in the store, to see if items qualify toward the offer, scan product barcodes using the SavingStar app.
- Keep track of your progress within the app or on the SavingStar website.
- Look for offer “boosts” to reach your threshold faster, typically by sharing the offer or performing small tasks such as watching a short video.
- Automatic-Savings rewards will be posted to your account within 2-10 days after you’ve reached your qualifying purchase threshold. Receipt-Scan rewards will be posted within 2-10 days after you’ve submitted your receipt online or with the app.
YOU CAN STACK WITH REBATE APPS (EXCEPT CHECKOUT 51).
SavingStar offers cannot be combined with Checkout 51 offers. The SavingStar and Checkout 51 apps share data, so when an offer is redeemed through one app, the identical offer will no longer be available in the other app. However, SavingStar can be stacked with other rebate apps like Ibotta.
YOU CAN STACK WITH MANUFACTURER COUPONS (SOMETIMES).
SavingStar is a little vague on this topic, but here’s what we know. Some SavingStar offers state “do not combine with any other coupon” or “no other coupon is to be used with this coupon,” in which case you cannot “stack” the SavingStar with a manufacturer coupon. However, if there’s no fine print on the SavingStar offer, they will allow the offer to stack with a paper coupon on the same item.
CASH OUT WITH PAYPAL OR GIFT CARDS.
Once your account balance reaches $20.00, cash out to a bank account, PayPal account, Upromise account, Starbucks gift code, iTunes gift code, or AMC Theaters gift code. The payout process can take between 24-48 hours from the time of the request, and gift codes will be emailed to you.