We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
The iPhone new release was announced this week, and unlike last year, there are some really big changes in store for iPhone 14. But before you make plans to camp out in front of your nearest Apple store, you’ll want to make sure you’re not spending your kid’s college fund to get a new model.
You probably already know that it can be a struggle to find a good iPhone deal, as new Apple products rarely see markdowns, but that doesn’t stop us from saving money on Apple. Doesn’t stop us from showing you how to do it too.
The Krazy Coupon Lady team has been tracking iPhone new releases for years, and we’ve figured out some of the best ways to get a new iPhone for less.
1. What is the iPhone 14 price?
Apple announced the iPhone release models on Sept. 7, 2022. Here are the prices you can expect to see:
- iPhone 14: Starting at $799
- iPhone 14 Pro: Starting at $999
- iPhone 14 Pro Max: Starting at $1,099
- iPhone 14 Plus: Starting at $899
2. When is the iPhone new release coming out?
Preorders for iPhone 14, 14 Pro, and 14 Max start on Sept. 9, 2022. These phones will hit the shelves on Sept. 16. If you’re holding out for the iPhone Plus, expect a longer wait — they won’t be available until Oct. 7
3. What does the iPhone 14 look like?
The iPhone 14 has a 6.1″ display size, while the iPhone 14 Plus has a 6.7″ display size. Both the iPhone Pro and Pro Max come with either 6.1″ or 6.7″ displays. You get to choose.
iPhone 14’s overall look is similar to 2021’s iPhone 13. It has flat edges, water resistance, and a ceramic shield display. It comes in five colors: midnight, blue, starlight, purple, and red.
One difference from iPhone 13 is the camera bump. It’s a bit larger to accommodate new camera lenses. Pro and Pro Max models also have a different notch with new capabilities.
4. The iPhone new release has features that enhance safety and camera capabilities.
All four iPhone models have upgraded selfie cameras and emergency SOS, which allows you to make a satellite call if you don’t have service. This feature will be free for all iPhone 14 users for two years, but Apple hasn’t announced yet what the cost will be after that. Expect a monthly payment of sorts if you want to use the feature going forward.
Another cool iPhone new release feature this year is a force sensor to detect when you’ve been in a car crash. Abrupt stops, coupled with airbag deployment, will trigger this sensor and ask you if you’d like to call emergency services. If you don’t respond, it’ll make the call for you.
5. iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max offer even more features like an ‘always on’ screen.
In 2021, the iPhone new release didn’t really wow us. This was because it had very few upgrades from the previous year’s model and not much to get excited about. iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max are different. Here’s what else you can expect from these higher-end iPhone 14 models:
- 2x zoom lens in the camera. This allows for 4K quality.
- New “always on” screen. Even when your phone is locked and off, you can still see the time display and more. This uses much less battery power than it would if your screen were always on.
- No more notch. Apple has replaced the black square at the top of the screen with what they’re calling “Dynamic Island.” This functions as your phone’s selfie camera but also can show incoming phone calls or currently playing Apple music.
- A 16 Bionic chip that makes these phones 40% faster than they were before while using less battery.
6. The last generation of iPhones have dropped in price by $100, but say goodbye to iPhone 12.
Everybody loves a new iPhone, but there’s no need to go all the way to the latest and greatest model; older generations decrease in price almost immediately after the new iPhone is announced.
Apple has reduced the price of two recent models, but you’ll notice a total absence of iPhone 12. This is because Apple isn’t selling that model anymore.
- iPhone SE: Starting at $429
- iPhone 13: Starting at $599
7. If you can, be patient — iPhone new release prices will drop faster than you think.
You’ll pay top dollar if you stand in line for a new iPhone 14 on Day 1. I hate standing in line and paying top dollar!
If you can wait a few months — or even a few weeks — cell carriers and retailers will try to keep the momentum going by offering new iPhone deals, particularly on Black Friday.
Speaking of Black Friday …
8. Skip the Apple Store on Black Friday and save hundreds by shopping elsewhere.
Look for the best deals in November during Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
In 2021, Walmart offered an early Black Friday deal on iPhone 12 Mini. It was only $299 (regularly $599).
Target offered a free $15 Target gift card when you bought $100 in Apple gift cards. When you combined this deal with your 5% Target RedCard savings, you could score 20% savings on Apple gift cards — that’s a lot! It’s like paying $80 to get $100 to spend on Apple products.
Don’t worry, Krazy Coupon Lady has your back, and our team of deal hunters will be posting all the Black Friday Apple Deals as soon as they show up!
9. iPhone trade-in values are good, especially if you have a newer-model phone.
Apple’s trade-in program gives you credit towards a new Apple purchase (or you can get an Apple gift card) when you trade in your old device.
Note that trade-in values of last year’s model have gone down more than they did in 2021. For example, during last year’s launch of iPhone 13, the iPhone 12 Pro Max’s trade in value was up to $790. Interesting that this year for the iPhone 14’s launch, the iPhone 13 Pro Max trade-in value is $70 less — $720. In general though, the newer your phone, the better value you’ll get for your trade-in.
Here’s a breakdown of what you can expect to get when you trade in your old iPhone (as old as iPhone 7 series) for an iPhone 14:
- iPhone 13 Pro Max: up to $720
- iPhone 13 Pro: up to $600
- iPhone 13: up to $470
- iPhone 13 Mini: up to $380
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: up to $530
- iPhone 12 Pro: up to $430
- iPhone 12: up to $320
- iPhone 12 Mini: up to $250
- iPhone SE (2nd generation): up to $100
- iPhone 11 Pro Max: up to $370
- iPhone 11 Pro: up to $300
- iPhone 11: up to $220
- iPhone XS Max: up to $210
- iPhone XS: up to $150
- iPhone XR: up to $140
- iPhone X: up to $130
- iPhone 8 Plus: up to $110
- iPhone 8: up to $75
- iPhone 7 Plus: up to $70
- iPhone 7: up to $40
Learn more tricks for saving money on Apple products.
10. Or give Gazelle a try for cash back on your trade-in.
Online phone reseller, Gazelle, offers cash for your old iPhones. It’s a bit less than what Apple will give you, but the benefit is that you get cash back instead of a credit toward a new phone (or an Apple gift card). For example, I found that I could get $408 for my unscratched 128GB iPhone 12 Pro.
Another option is GameStop. Using the same phone as an example, I could get $425 in the form of a Visa prepaid card if I traded my phone in there. If I want straight cash, I can get $340.
11. Trade in your old iPhone at AT&T, then add a line, and you’ll get a free iPhone 14.
Contracts are a thing of the past, but carriers have found another way to rope you in — phone payment plans. They want the security of knowing you won’t take that free iPhone offer and run.
If you’re with AT&T, you don’t have to be a new customer. Trade in your old iPhone (minimum trade-in value must be $230), and add a line to get a free iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, or iPhone 14 Pro. Or get the iPhone 14 Pro Max for $1,000 off.
You’ll pay out of pocket for both iPhones and eventually get your money back through credits on your monthly statement over 36 months.
12. Verizon offers a free iPhone 14 with trade in or up to $800 off.
New customers can get a new iPhone 14 Pro for free with an old iPhone trade-in and a line activation (must choose one of the Unlimited plans).
If you’re already a Verizon customer and you want to upgrade, you can get up to $800 off a new iPhone 14. In order to do this, you must activate a new line to take advantage of this offer.
13. T-Mobile/Sprint is offering three different deals on iPhone 14.
All of T-Mobile/Sprint’s iPhone 14 offers revolve around getting a discount that you’ll see as statement credits over the course of 24 months:
- iPhone 14: Buy one, get a second one free (up to $700 off). You must add a line to get this deal.
- iPhone 14 Pro: Get half off (or up to $500 off any iPhone 14 series). You must trade in an old iPhone to get this deal.
- iPhone 14 Pro: Free (or up to $1000 off any iPhone 14 series). You must trade in a old iPhone that’s currently on one of these plans: Magenta MAX, Business Unlimited Advanced, Ultimate or Ultimate+ for iPhone, or equivalent Sprint plan.
14. If all else fails, use your Target RedCard to get an iPhone at a 5% discount.
Sign up for a Target RedCard and you’ll get 5% off everything you buy at Target, including your new iPhone.
RedCard is a debit card that connects to your checking account, not a credit card. You can use the plastic version, pictured above, or you can load it to your Target app and scan a barcode to pay at checkout.