Before you camp out in front of your nearest Apple store awaiting the iPhone 13 release, you’ll want to make sure you’re not spending your kid’s college fund to get one of the new models.
1. The new iPhone 13 prices start at $699, same as last year.
At the Apple virtual event on September 14, Apple announced a number of new iPhone models. Nothing extremely earth-shattering — no redesign, for example. But the new iPhone offers extended battery life (iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max models only), and a smaller black notch at the top of the phone. Other new capabilities include a better camera and video quality, including the ability to change the focus of a video during the editing process, after you’re done recording.
Prices are the same as they were last year for iPhone 12’s launch:
- iPhone 13 Mini: Starting at $699
- iPhone 13: Starting at $799
- iPhone 13 Pro: Starting at $999
- iPhone 13 Pro Max: Starting at $1,099
2. The last generation of iPhones has dropped as low as $399.
Everybody loves a new iPhone, but there’s no need to go all the way to the latest and greatest model; older generations decrease in price almost immediately after the new iPhone is announced.
Apple has reduced the price of some recent models, including:
- iPhone SE: Starting at $399
- iPhone 11: Starting at $499
- iPhone 12: Starting at $599
3. If you can, be patient — new iPhone 13 prices will drop faster than you think.
You’ll pay very top dollar if you stand in line for a new iPhone 13 on Day 1— which will be Sept. 24, 2021 (preorders start Sept. 17). I hate standing in line and paying top dollar!
If you can wait a few months — or even a few weeks — cell carriers and retailers will try to keep the momentum going by offering new iPhone deals, particularly on Black Friday.
Speaking of Black Friday…
4. Skip the Apple Store on Black Friday and save hundreds by shopping elsewhere.
Stores like Walmart, Costco, Target, and Best Buy offer older generation iPhones for a discount when Apple’s latest generation hits the shelves.
Look for the best deals in November, during Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
In 2020, Walmart offered gift cards with an iPhone purchase, and Target offered 24% savings on Apple products, like an iPhone. Here’s the Target deal. It was slightly complicated, but you could get $100 Apple gift cards to use on a new iPhone for just $76:
Spend $100 on Apple gift cards, receive free $20 Target gift card
Use RedCard for 5% off
Pay $96, receive $20 Target gift card
Final Price: $76
Don’t worry, KCL has your back, and our team of deal hunters will be posting all the Black Friday Apple Deals as soon as they show up!
Bookmark KCL’s Black Friday Deals page to stay in the know.
5. Trade in your old iPhone for money toward an iPhone 13.
Apple’s trade-in program gives you credit towards a new Apple purchase (or you can get an Apple gift card) when you trade in your old device.
For example, here’s a breakdown of what you can expect to get when you trade in your old iPhone for an iPhone 13:
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: up to $790
- iPhone 12 Pro: up to $640
- iPhone 12: up to $530
- iPhone 12 Mini: up to $400
- iPhone 11 Pro Max: up to $500
- iPhone 11 Pro: up to $450
- iPhone 11: up to $340
- iPhone XS Max: up to $320
- iPhone XS: up to $240
- iPhone XR: up to $230
- iPhone X: up to $200
- iPhone 8 Plus: up to $180
- iPhone SE (2nd generation): $170
- iPhone 8: up to $110
- iPhone 7 Plus: up to $110
- iPhone 7: up to $50
- iPhone 6s Plus: up to $60
- iPhone 6s: up to $30
Learn more tricks for saving money on Apple products.
6. Or give Gazelle a try for cash back on your trade-in.
Online phone reseller, Gazelle, offers $212 for an unscratched 64GB iPhone 11. And they pay cash.
It takes three to five days for the prepackaged shipping box to come in the mail, three to five more days for your device to get to Gazelle, and another three to five days for them to send payment.
7. Trade in your old iPhone at AT&T and it’s possible to get iPhone 13 for almost free.
Contracts are a thing of the past, but carriers have found another way to rope you in — phone payment plans. They want the security of knowing you won’t take that free iPhone offer and run.
If you’re with AT&T, you don’t have to be a new customer. Trade in your old iPhone and add a line to get up to $1,000 off iPhone 13 as part of a 0% APR 30-month payment plan.
You’ll pay out of pocket for both iPhones and eventually get your money back through credits on your monthly statement over 36 months.
Also keep in mind, this means that if you get anything up to the iPhone 13 Pro ($999), you’ll get it for free, but if you want an iPhone Pro Max ($1,099), you’ll still get just $1,000 back. Still, it’s an improvement over 2019, when AT&T offered only $750 back.
8. Verizon offers up to $700 off for trading in your old device if you’re adding a line.
If you’re looking for a Verizon iPhone offer, be prepared to trade in your old phone. The discount is applied as a statement credit to your account over 24 months (within one to two bill cycles) for iPhone 13 mini and iPhone 13. It’ll span over 30 months for iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max.
9. T-Mobile/Sprint is offering up to $1,290 in trade-in credit toward a new iPhone 13.
With this deal, existing customers can get a trade-in credit (up to $790 if you trade in an iPhone 12 Pro Max, for example), plus a bill credit.
If you upgrade to the Magenta Max plan ($85 per month, per line), you’ll get a $500 bill credit, and if you stay with your current plan, you’ll receive a $200 statement credit.
10. If all else fails, use your Target RedCard to get an iPhone at a 5% discount.
Sign up for a Target RedCard and you’ll get 5% off everything you buy at Target, including your new iPhone.
RedCard is a debit card that connects to your checking account, not a credit card. You can use the plastic version, pictured above, or you can load it to your Target app and scan a barcode to pay at checkout.