The beauty retailer is saying goodbye to their partnership with JCPenney and is preparing hundreds of mini-stores inside Kohl’s locations.
If you’re a Sephora fan, this is a game-changer.
Here’s what you need to know:
850 Kohl’s stores are getting Sephora mini-stores next year.
Just after Black Friday 2020, Sephora announced that they will set up 2,500 square-foot stores at the front of 850 Kohl’s locations between 2021 and 2023.
The partnership allows Sephora to expand beyond malls and into suburbs, and Kohl’s to sell higher-end beauty products.
Each mini-store will be staffed by Kohl’s employees trained by Sephora to be beauty experts on the more than 125 individual products they’ll sell.
Kohl’s has announced the first 200 locations that’ll have Sephora inside.
Here are the announced locations opening in August 2021:
- Arizona: Mesa East, South Peoria
- California: Alameda, Buena Park, Cerritos, Chino Spectrum Center, Colma, Elk Grove, Fresno North, Glendora, Lakewood, Menifee, Murrieta, Northridge, Ontario, Palmdale, Redlands, Riverbank, San Jose South, Seal Beach, Turlock, Ventura
- Colorado: Aurora West, Grand Junction, Greeley, Lakewood, Lone Tree, Powers Blvd., Thornton, Westminster
- Connecticut: Manchester, Plainview
- Florida: Hunters Creek, Jacksonville SE, West Melbourne
- Georgia: Evans, Snellville, Woodstock
- Illinois: Batavia, Bloomington, Bradley, Bucktown, Burbank Champaign, Chicago Ridge, East Peoria, Edwardsville, Elmhurst, Hodgkins, Joliet, North Riverside, Orland Park, Rockford South, Tinley Park, Woodridge
- Iowa: Clive, Sioux City, West Des Moines
- Kentucky: Florence, Lexington East
- Massachusetts: Danvers, Hingham, Mansfield, Milford, North Dartmouth, Seekonk, West Springfield
- Michigan: Auburn Hills, Battle Creek, Canton Township, Chesterfield Township, Grand Rapids North, Kalamazoo, Lakeside, Lapeer, Macomb, Muskegon, Oakland Square, Shelby Township, Troy, Westland
- Minnesota: Apple Valley, Burnsville, Duluth, Mankato, Riverdale, Rochester, Woodbury
- Missouri: Lee’s Summit, Metro North, Springfield
- Montana: Billings
- Nevada: Green Valley, Northwest Las Vegas
- New Jersey: Clifton, Hamilton Township, Hillsborough, Howell, North Plainfield, Paramus, Ramsey, Secaucus, Turnersville, Wayne, Woodland Park
- New York: Bay Shore, Clay, Colonie, East Amherst, Horseheads, Jericho, Lancaster, Levittown, Massapequa, Nanuet, Newburgh, New Hartford, North Amherst, Oceanside, Orchard Park, Port Chester, Ronkonkoma, Shirley, Staten Island, Wallkill, Webster, Yonkers
- North Carolina: Fayetteville, Garner, Wilmington
- North Dakota: Fargo
- Ohio: Airport Hwy, Beavercreek, Boardman, Canton, Dublin, Findlay, Franklin Park, Grove City, Hillard, Lima, Mentor, New Albany, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Strongsville, Troy
- Oklahoma: Yukon
- Pennsylvania: Altoona, Century III, Colonial Park, Cranberry, Easton, Erie, Hanover, Havertown, Mechanicsburg, North Huntingdon, Oxford Valley, Robinson Township, South Hills, Springfield, Stroudsburg, Trexlertown
- Rhode Island: Smithfield
- South Carolina: Lexington, Summerville
- Texas: Amarillo, Bandera Pointe, Burleson, Corpus Christi, Keller, Lubbock
- Virginia: Fredericksburg, Springfield, Woodbridge
- West Virginia: Beckley, Charleston
- Wisconsin: Bayshore, Brookfield, Eau Claire, Grafton, Green Bay West, Madison East, Madison West, Menomonee Falls, Janesville, Kenosha, La Crosse, Racine, Wausau
You will be able to earn Sephora Beauty Insider points at Kohl’s.
Regardless of whether you buy Sephora products at Sephora stores, JCPenney or Kohl’s, you’ll be able to earn points for Beauty Insider, their much-loved loyalty program.
Simply give the cashier the email address associated with your Beauty Insider account at checkout to get the points.
You’ll also be able to earn Kohl’s Rewards — which turn into Kohl’s Cash.
The free Kohl’s Rewards loyalty program lets you earn 5% cash back on every purchase, any day, online and in store — and this applies to the new Sephora mini-stores!
There are lots of reasons why you should sign up for Kohl’s Rewards, and now one of them is that you can earn on all your Sephora @ Kohl’s items.
Those Rewards add up to Kohl’s Cash, and while you can’t spend (or directly earn) Kohl’s Cash on Sephora products, you’ll be able to spend those Rewards on just about everything else you could want at Kohl’s.
Not opening near you? Soon you’ll be able to buy Sephora products from Kohls.com.
There’s going to be a special Sephora section on Kohls.com in 2021, although a specific launch date hasn’t been announced.
You won’t be able to use Sephora gift cards at Kohl’s.
Similar to how they’ve done things with JCPenney, the Sephora mini-stores will accept Kohl’s gift cards (and there’s even talk of a co-branded Kohl’s/Sephora gift card), but you won’t be able to use Sephora gift cards at Kohl’s.
At Sephora’s standalone stores, you won’t be able to use Kohl’s gift cards or Kohl’s Cash.
Sephora will remain in 650 JCPenney locations until 2023.
Sephora’s first store-within-a-store partnership started in 2006 with JCPenney, and now they’re in more than 650 JCPenney locations.
There’s been tension over the years between Sephora and the struggling JCPenney, and now their team-up is scheduled to end in early 2023.
So, for a couple of years, there will be two national retailers selling Sephora within their walls.