If you’re hungry and in the mood for some American classics, you might wanna hit up a Sonic Drive-In for some hot dogs, onion rings, and slushes. But, don’t go unless you know these great Sonic menu hacks.
I’ll show you how to get all-day Sonic Happy Hour, score free drinks and food, and order some off-the-wall secret menu items.
Remember to download the KCL app for more awesome hacks.
1. The Sonic app gives you high-value coupons immediately.
When you download the Sonic app and sign up for their MySonic rewards program, you’ll get your first exclusive deal right away. When I signed up, I got a $1.99 Footlong Quarter Pound Coney reward, which would’ve usually cost me $4.79 (58% savings).
That’s just the beginning; app-exclusive rewards pop up often, so keep the app handy every trip. Sonic app deals vary from week to week with some deals only lasting one day.
2. Order from the stall and pay with the app to get a new reward — every time.
Sonic gives you a new coupon reward EVERY TIME you place an order with the app.
If you want to order in person (especially if you’re trying to get some complicated secret menu items), here’s what you do to get the reward:
- Order at one of the drive-in stalls
- Open the Sonic app
- Click the bag icon to check out
- Put in your stall number
- Pay via the app
- Get your new reward (added to the app)
You can collect as many rewards as you want — but you can only use one per order.
3. Get half-price drinks every day between 2-4 p.m.
If you’re close to a Sonic any day between 2 and 4 p.m., you’ve got to take advantage of Sonic Happy Hour. You’ll get half-price drinks and slushes when you order at any Sonic Drive-In location.
4. Or get half-price drinks anytime when you order through the app.
You’ll still get Sonic Happy Hour prices on any drink or slush on the menu as long as you order through the app. If only every happy hour was like that…
5. And cheeseburgers are half price every Tuesday after 5 p.m.
Tuesday is “Family Night,” where you can get half-price cheeseburgers after 5 p.m. if you order through the Sonic app.
I got a Bacon Double Cheeseburger (reg. $6.99) at a Sonic near me for $3.49!
Note: This offer doesn’t include the Double-Patty Cheeseburgers, any limited-time or seasonal cheeseburger, Quarter Pound Double Cheeseburgers, Jr. Burgers, and combos.
6. Take home a massive 10-lb bag of famous Sonic ice for $2.
Buying ice at fast food joints is my new favorite thing. Sonic is known for its “nugget” ice, and you can buy a 10-lb bag for only $1.99.
Compare that to a 10-lb bag of ice at 7-Eleven, which is anywhere from $2.50 to $4, depending on your state. And 7-Eleven’s ice isn’t nugget ice.
7. Get a high-value coupon page with every in-store purchase.
When you get your food in store, your bag will come with a printed page of coupons. The coupons range from a BOGO free Classic Chicken Sandwich to an assortment of sides and drinks for only $0.99.
By paying with your app (see Tip 2), you can double up on the coupons you get from one Sonic trip.
Note: These printed coupons are only redeemable in stores. There’s no way to apply them to the app.
8. The Sonic Frito Chili Pie secret menu item is legendary; check to see if your location has it.
A popular secret menu item in the South, Frito Pie is a generous serving of Frito chips smothered in chili and cheese. Think of it as the toppings on a regular Coney dog but on crunchy chips.
A Frito Pie is about $3.29, which is $0.10 cheaper than Large Chili Cheese Tots. Your location might not be able to make it, so check before you get your hopes up.
9. Get free Sonic Delivery when you sign up for delivery services.
Sonic delivers their full menu via Doordash, Grubhub and Uber Eats — and there are ways to get Sonic delivered free:
- Uber Eats: Get $7 off your first order by using the promo code EATS-JOANIED156UI when you sign up.
- DoorDash: DashPass is DoorDash’s subscription service — and you can get a month of free delivery ($9.99/mo. afterward)
- Grubhub: Many times they offer $10 off your $15+ order, but free delivery comes from a free 7-day trial of Grubhub+.
You won’t be able to use Sonic coupons (paper or digital), nor earn rewards, when you use these third-party delivery services.
10. For fastest service, use the app to order ahead.
The Sonic app lets you place your order and select a pickup time and location. Once you’ve paid for your order, you can drive up to a stall and use the app to check in. It’s pretty common for Sonic to bring you your order within five minutes.
Order ahead is only available through the Sonic app, and only until 11 p.m.
11. Order from the Sonic breakfast menu anytime you want.
Whether you order in person or through the app, you can still grab anything off the Sonic breakfast menu anytime during the day.
12. Sign up for text messages to get exclusive offers on the Sonic menu.
If you sign up for Sonic Drive-In text messages, you’ll get exclusive offers sent directly to your phone. All you need to do is provide your phone number and zip code to start getting 10 texts a month.
When I signed up, I immediately got an offer for a free large drink or slush. You can only use one of these promos per order.
13. Complete the survey on your receipt for a free drink.
Whenever you get a receipt from a Sonic, it’ll have an ID number on the bottom. Go to TalkToSonic.com and complete a quick survey to get a promo code for a free large drink. You have 14 days from your original purchase to finish the survey, so don’t put it off too long.
14. Check out the Sonic secret menu Sonic Sunrise.
One of the most popular Sonic secret menu items is the Sonic Sunrise, which tastes something like a virgin Tequila Sunrise. To order, ask for a drink that’s equal parts orange juice and Cherry Limeade. It costs $3.01 for a medium and $3.55 for a large.
15. Or try the Sonic secret menu grilled ham and cheese.
To get the Sonic secret menu grilled ham and cheese, order the standard grilled cheese with ham inside. It’s $3.01. Not every Sonic sells ham, but keep your fingers crossed.
16. The secret Pink Lady drink mixes fruity and creamy flavors.
To order the popular Pink Lady secret menu drink, ask for Sprite with cherry flavoring and vanilla cream. A medium Pink Lady costs $2.09 — about the same price as a medium Slush.
17. The Sonic secret menu Ring Leader Burger is only $0.70 more than a cheeseburger.
This secret menu item is only a good deal if your local Sonic is generous.
Order a cheeseburger with grilled onions ($0.70) and one onion ring on top. Most locations will add a single onion ring to your order free of charge; otherwise, you might have to order a side of mini onion rings and assemble it yourself.
- Price of cheeseburger $3.89 + grilled onions $0.70 + a free onion ring = $4.59.
- Price of cheeseburger $3.89 + grilled onions $0.70 + mini onion rings $1.29 = $5.88
18. Mix together some flavors for a Sonic secret menu Purple Sprite.
The Sonic secret menu has some interesting items, like purple Sprite. Just order a Sprite with some added splashes of Powerade, cranberry juice, and lemonade for $3.12 (medium). It’s pretty sweet.
For lemonade and soft drinks, flavor add-ins are $0.20 each and $0.50 for fruits (like limes and lemons) and candies (like Skittles).
19. Get a discounted Sonic Drive-Thru gift card to save another 5%.
Places like Raise.com sell gift cards for cheaper than the amount on them.
Sonic Drive-Thru gift cards sell out quickly, and if that happens to you, set an alert to be notified when they’re back in stock.
20. Celebrate your cheat day with Sonic secret menu Extreme Tots.
Feeling like treating yourself? The Sonic secret menu extreme tots are definitely heavier than your regular tater tots, but still totally worth it; order tots with cheese, chili, jalapenos, onions, and ranch dressing for $4.74.
You can get the “Extreme” treatment on Popcorn Chicken, too! Definitely plan some nap time after this one.
21. The Dr Pepper/Powerade/lemonade combo is a popular experience.
You’ve gotta spend $0.40 on add-ins, but this secret menu beverage is worth it. It’s in store only, and here’s how you order:
- Medium Dr Pepper ($1.69)
- Add splash of Powerade (adds $0.20)
- Add splash of lemonade (adds $0.20)