We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
When it comes to saving money on gas, you gotta start with fuel rewards programs. That’s because no matter where you live, you can cut $0.10 – $1/gallon off of each fill-up simply by joining the right loyalty program. If you want to dip your toe in the saving money on fuel waters even further, there are also some great gas rewards credit cards as well.
Below, I’ve rounded up the very best gas rewards programs, including offerings from gas stations, grocery stores, and even AAA that’ll make sure your wallet’s never running on empty.
Before you read on, be sure to download The Krazy Coupon Lady app for all of the best tips and deals.
1. Albertsons & Safeway Fuel Rewards members can save $0.10/gallon at Chevron and Texaco.
If you’re a member of Safeway or Albertsons For U loyalty program, you’ll earn one fuel point for each dollar spent at their stores (and online). Once you earn 100 points, you’ll be able to redeem that reward and save $0.10/gallon on gas at Chevron and Texaco locations.
At Safeway gas stations, you can redeem up to 10 100-point rewards at once for a maximum discount of $1 per gallon. This also goes for participating Chevron and Texaco stations.
Safeway’s reward points expire at the end of the month following the one in which you earned your rewards. That means if you earn your points in January, they’ll expire at the end of February. Safeway caps your savings at 25 gallons for each gas purchase.
Albertsons, which owns Safeway, also lets you redeem 100 points for $0.10/gallon in savings (up to $1/gallon in savings), but it only works at Albertsons gas stations.
How do Safeway Gas Rewards work?
- For every hundred dollars you spend, you’ll get points worth $0.10 per gallon. That’s one point per dollar on most items and two points per dollar on gift cards.
Do Safeway Gas Rewards expire?
- Safeway fuel rewards expire quickly, on the last day of the month after you earned them.
How many gallons of gas are you allotted at once with Safeway/Albertsons gas rewards discount?
- The limit for Safeway fuel rewards is 25 gallons, but these days, the gas pump’s $100 cutoff is more likely your practical limit.
Related: Use our best Safeway couponing tips to save money while you earn points.
2. The Kroger Fuel Reward program also saves members up to $0.10/gallon at participating Shell stations.
Kroger’s fuel rewards program works almost exactly like Safeway’s. Kroger loyalty members earn $0.10/gallon in savings for every $100 they spend at Kroger stores. You can redeem these points at any Kroger gas station and at participating Shell locations.
At Kroger gas stations, you can redeem up to 10 100-point rewards at once for a maximum discount of $1 per gallon.
At participating Shell stations, you can only redeem 100-point rewards at once for a max discount of $0.10 per gallon.
How do Kroger Fuel Rewards work?
- For every $100 you spend, you’ll get points worth $0.10 per gallon. That’s one point per dollar on most items and two points per dollar on gift cards.
Do Kroger Gas Rewards expire?
- Kroger fuel rewards expire quickly, on the last day of the month after you earned them.
How many gallons of gas are you allotted at once with Kroger gas rewards discount?
- The limit for Kroger fuel rewards is 35 gallons, the biggest we’ve seen anywhere.
Related: Get all the discounts on your Kroger shopping trip with our best tips for couponing at Kroger.
3. Walmart+ members save up to $0.10/gallon at Mobil, Walmart, Murphy, and Exxon. Or access Sam’s Club gas.
Walmart’s fuel rewards program is built into the larger Walmart+ subscription (regularly $98 per year or $12.95 per month), available to all Walmart shoppers. This is the only fuel rewards program on our list that isn’t free since it’s tied to that paid membership.
Walmart+ subscribers get up to a $0.10/gallon discount from any participating Exxon or Mobil station (find your participating locations), Walmart, and Murphy stations.
And Walmart+ subscribers can now buy Sam’s Club gas, even without a membership! There is no savings on top of the already low Sam’s Club gas prices.
Unfortunately, Walmart+ Fuel Rewards will only work when you pay at the pump. It won’t work if you pay inside.
How do Walmart+ Fuel Rewards work?
- Walmart+ Gas Rewards do not require that you spend money or earn points. You’ll get $0.10 off per gallon (at select locations) just for being a member.
Do Walmart+ Gas Rewards expire?
- Since the $0.10 per gallon discount isn’t tied to any purchases or points, it never expires.
How many gallons of gas are you allotted at once with Walmart+ Gas Rewards discount?
- There’s no limit to how many gallons you can get at member prices on fuel.
PRO TIP: Here’s everything on how to redeem your gas rewards, plus other tips about how Walmart+ works.
4. Shell Fuel Rewards’ $0.05 per gallon savings isn’t the half of it for this loyalty program.
Shell’s fuel rewards is a free loyalty program for participating Shell stations. Members can save $0.05 per gallon automatically, depending on which loyalty tier they fall into.
Here’s the deal, Shell Fuel Rewards has two levels: Gold and Silver.
All new members automatically get to try out Gold status for a full six months. In order to keep Gold status, you have to fill up six times within the last three months of your Gold status trial period. If you fail to do that, Shell will demote you to the Silver level, which will only net $0.03/gallon in savings. On the other hand, if you’re a real driving junkie, Shell has an elite Gold + status that is available by invite only.
The best part about Shell Fuel Rewards? There are loads of ways to earn rewards. Once earned, those rewards stack and can save you an unlimited amount off per gallon. If you’re a couponer looking for a fuel rewards program, Shell fuel rewards is for you.
You can earn so many rewards: your gas could be free. In fact, the Shell rewards program is all set to handle this exact situation. In the event your rewards are greater than the price of the gallon of gas, the excess amount will roll over to your next fill-up automatically.
To earn these extra rewards, you must link your Fuel Rewards account to your Visa, Mastercard, or Amex. Then you’ll start accruing extra points wherever you shop, on top of the loyalty points you’re already earning with your credit card. You’ll earn things like $0.10/gallon for every $50 spent at participating restaurants, event ticket vendors, and rental car companies.
Let’s say you drop $50 on tickets with a card linked to fuel rewards. Your $0.10/gallon reward will post within one to three days of your purchase. If you’re a Gold status member, you could stack your rewards with your 5% everyday discount to save $0.15/gallon on your next trip to the pump.
How do Shell Fuel Rewards work?
- Members get $0.05 off per gallon as long as they fill up (five gallons) six times every three months, or twice a month, plus extra cents off if they link their credit cards to their Shell Fuel Rewards account.
Do Shell Fuel Rewards expire?
- Most Shell Fuel Rewards expire on the last day of the month after you earned them. All rewards are valid for at least one month.
How many gallons of gas can you buy at once with the Shell Fuel Rewards discount?
- Shell limits your savings to 20 gallons per fill-up.
AAA members who join Shell’s fuel rewards program save $0.30/gallon on their first fill-up. AAA members who link their AAA membership with a Shell Fuel Rewards account save $0.30/gallon on their next purchase (as long as you make your first gas purchase within 30 days of linking your account). And AAA members get extended Gold status through December 2023.
Related: Check out these free loyatly programs that can save you big money.
5. BP Fuel Rewards saves $0.05/gallon for those who spend $100 each month.
BP’s free fuel rewards program is called BPme Rewards, and it will save you $0.05/gallon at any BP or Amoco gas station.
Like Shell Fuel Rewards, you have to remain somewhat active in order to maintain your savings. BP front loads your account with $0.05 per gallon, which will last through the end of the month after you join. After that, BPme Rewards requires you spend $100 per month to keep your $0.05 per gallon savings.
But BPme offers something no one else does: a price match.
BPme Rewards members may pay an additional $0.99 per month to access BPme’s Price Match tool, which scans gas stations within a 2-mile radius. If the app finds a cheaper price, BP will provide you with an additional cash-back reward up to another $0.05/gallon at a BP or Amoco station. Here’s what you do:
- Create a BPme account.
- Download the app (either for your Android or iPhone).
- Choose your pump with your app (type the pump number you’re using).
- Pay from the app (your phone will scan for the best price).
How do BPme Rewards work?
- Members save $0.05 per gallon on gas at any BP location as long as they spend $100 or more there each month. Paid members ($0.99 per month) get price matching, which entitles them to the lowest price per gallon within two miles of any station.
Do BPme Rewards expire?
- Since the $0.05 per gallon discount isn’t tied to any purchases or points, it never expires.
How many gallons of gas can you buy at once with BPme Rewards discount?
- The $0.05 per gallon discount will always last until the end of the next month after you last qualified. If you spent $100 in February, you’re covered til the end of March.
6. Marathon’s Fuel Rewards saves members $0.05 per gallon, but they’ll double that on the first four fill-ups.
Make it Count is the loyalty program for participating Marathon and Arco gas stations nationwide. Members can save $0.10 per gallon automatically on their first four fill-ups at any Make It Count location.
After that, your discount will drop to $0.05/gallon. But hey, unlike rewards programs from BP and Shell, you don’t have to meet any sort of spending minimum to enjoy your $0.05/gallon discount. All you have to do is sign up.
How do Marathon Gas Rewards work?
- Marathon Rewards do not require that you spend money or earn points. You’ll get $0.05 off per gallon just for being a member.
Do Make It Count Rewards expire?
- The Make It Count app has other savings offers on grocery items and gas, and they each have a unique expiration date. Since the $0.05 per gallon discount isn’t tied to your purchases, it never expires.
How many gallons of gas are you allotted at once with Marathon Gas Rewards discount?
- Marathon caps your fuel rewards at 20 gallons per fill-up.
7. Exxon Mobil’s Fuel Rewards saves users $0.03 per gallon.
The Exxon Mobil fuel rewards program works a little differently than the others. It’s a little more like cash back than a discount. Here’s how it works.
You’ll earn three points for every gallon of fuel you buy. And since one point is equal to $0.01, that’s basically $0.03 off per gallon. (But you’re getting the money credited to your account, not directly applied at the pump.) You’ll also get two points for every dollar you spend in the convenience store, a straight 2% back.
That $0.03 per gallon can get up to $0.05/gallon in savings if you:
- Are an AARP member and link your AARP and Exxon Mobil rewards accounts (worth an additional $0.01/gallon in savings), and
- Fill up with 100 or more gallons of gas or diesel fuel in a calendar month (worth an additional $0.01/gallon in savings).
Drivers who fill up on Exxon Mobil’s Synergy Supreme+ premium gas three times in a calendar month (and buy at least eight gallons each fill-up) will reach Exxon Mobil Rewards+ Premium status. That means they’ll save $0.06/gallon on their premium gas. Fill up three times a month to maintain your status.
How does Exxon Mobil Rewards+ work?
- For every 100 points you earn, you’ll get $1 in savings. You will earn three points per gallon on fuel and two points for every $1 you spend in the convenience store or on car washes.
Do Exxon Mobil’s fuel rewards expire?
- Exxon Mobil’s gas reward points don’t expire as quickly as competing loyalty programs. Rewards expire on Dec. 31 of the year after you earned the points.
How many gallons of gas can you buy at once with Exxon Mobil’s fuel rewards discount?
- There is no stated limit on the number of gallons that you can save on per fill-up.