1. Dust lightbulbs with a cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol.
By removing the layer of gray dust covering lightbulbs, more light will shine through and make rooms brighter. Less lightbulbs needed to brighten a room = less electricity = money saved.
2. Free your ceiling fans from dust with an old pillowcase.
Find a soft pillowcase that will attract dust easily—flannel or cotton both work great. Starting from the innermost part of the blade, with one hand on the top of the pillowcase, steadily dust off the fan blade. All the dust will fall into the pillowcase instead of on your head or onto the floor!
3. Use a soft toothbrush and the fabric from an old t-shirt moistened in water to dust off indoor plants.
4. Rub mayo onto indoor plants’ leaves for extra shine after dusting.
This works especially well for plants that have big, waxy leaves.
5. Spray canned air into a dusty bathroom exhaust fan.
6. Switch your air conditioner’s fan on before dusting and vacuuming.
Dusting and vacuuming can send a lot of fine particles up into the air. By switching your fan on before and during dusting, any lingering particles will be pulled through your home’s air filter.
7. Dampen a dusting cloth with fabric softener to prevent static cling on plastic surfaces.
Use a small amount of liquid fabric softener on a microfiber cloth to wipe static-charged plastic surfaces.
8. Use a lint remover to dust lampshades and fabric surfaces.
9. Wipe baseboards with an old dryer sheet.
10. Clean computer keyboards with isopropyl rubbing alcohol, a soft cloth, and a Q-tip.
Isopropyl alcohol is less harsh than ethyl, which can remove the letters and numbers from your keyboard. Lightly dampen a soft cloth to wipe germs and dirt off the surface of your keyboard (be careful not to use too much liquid!). Use a moistened cotton swab to clean in between keys.
11. Use an old dryer sheet to wipe and repel dust from TV and computer screens.
12. Remove dust from the tops of books with the soft brush attachment on your vacuum.
13. Dust blinds with an old sock.
14. Wipe down the interior of your car with a coffee filter.
15. Polish mirrors and glass with newspaper.
16. Attach a microfiber cloth to a broom with a rubber band to dust floors, furniture, and difficult-to-reach spaces.
17. Dust A/C vents with a foam brush.